a nautical quilt

Are you tired of all these triangles yet? I hope not! This is obviously the scrappy version, and boy do I love it! All my favorite scraps together in one quilt.

It’s pretty fun to look at this quilt and pick out all my favorite fabrics from past projects.

This one feels very summery to me, what with all those bright cheerful prints paired with the bright white, so I was very happy to finish it up just in time for one last summer weekend.

A perfect quilt for the waterfront, wouldn’t you say?

One of my favorite parts is the straight line quilting. It’s a good thing this quilt is relatively small, since wow, those lines take a long time! For whatever reason, I always have second thoughts when I start straight line quilting like this, but in the end I always love it. This time around I used Quilters Dream Request batting, and I think it’s fabulous. It’s a really thin loft and I love the feel of it, especially with this dense quilting. Maybe not the best choice for cold Vermont winters, but very nice for a summer quilt!

The backing is a solid piece of one of my favorite Flea Market Fancy prints. Time to stop hoarding it and instead put it to use where I’ll be able to enjoy it!

Here’s hoping we have at least one more warm weekend to enjoy this one!

The tutorial for this quilt block can be found here - Scrappy Triangle block tutorial

Previous post about this quilt.

This entry was posted in Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Wonky/Improv Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

69 Responses to a nautical quilt

Faith says:

Beautiful quilt! I love the quilting on it and the triangles. I’m also a fan of Quilter’s Dream Request Loft. :)

Laurel says:

Such delicious fabrics! Any tutorial for making this quilt??
    Laurel
    WHaeser1@aol.com

It’s absolutely gorgeous and the “prop” for the photo shoot is adorable.

Page says:

It turned out great. I love the straight line quilting!

Erin says:

Yes, you definately need to draw up a pattern for this one…i’d be first in line

Meaghan says:

I love this quilt! Love the triangles and the straight line quilting. Definitely looking forward to a pattern :)

Zarina says:

I love how he is fingering the quilting. Reminds me of those chubby fingers of my going to be 2yo nephew.

Paige says:

I am committed to trying straight line quilting like that. I’ve only done stippling so far. Everything about this quilt is fantastic!

I’ve been following you for a while, and I love reading your blog. I sew, but not quilt, but this one may inspire me to try! My favorite!

Carrie

Brooke says:

I know you’ve already mentioned that you will consider a tutorial. Just wanted to second (eagerly!) that I’d be (really!!!) interested in seeing one too. Maybe if enough of us weigh in……

Since you have so much spare time and all. :-)

The only thing cuter than that frisky quilt is the adorable heap of baby sitting upon it. Max, you are the ultimate quilt model.

Annie says:

Love the scraps, love the white, love the straight lines. Beautiful!! Agree with the comments above, a tutorial would be much appreciated!

I adore it – the scrappy triangles are perfect. I’m finding it easier to use my FMF when I know my faves are being re-released any time now.

Annie says:

What a fun summer quilt. Just being around it would make me feel happy.

Julie says:

Oh i love it, i second or third or more the call for a tutorial. it’s just a lovely quilt.

simone says:

LOVE at first sight. Great quilting too!!

simone says:

PS: Yes, I’m in for a turorial too for this one, whenever you have time (o:

bdaiss says:

Beautiful! I love the straight line quilting. So glad you went with it. Quilting patterns are always the hardest for me. I’m never sure what to do. You’ve given me more options to add to my repertoire.

And yep, I sure wouldn’t complain if you offered up a tutorial!

Lauren says:

I love your quilt!! I need to try this!

emily curfew says:

i LOVE this quilt. so colorful and happy!! I will definitely be trying out your scrappy triangles one of these days when i have enough scraps.

Hannah says:

I was admittedly indifferent about these triangles when I first saw them, but I love this quilt now that it’s finished. and the quilting really is great on it. Congrats on another lovely finish!

Alli says:

That’s such a happy, pretty quilt! :)

Stephanie says:

Hi Ashley, Can I ask you a serious question? When and how do you find the time to sew these beautiful quilts with a new baby? I have a four month old, and am struggling just to find a few minutes in the day to wind down. I dream of having time to quilt again, but I just don’t know when I can fit it in the day anymore! Please share your secret!

• 26
      ashley says:

No secrets… just a messy house! I also sneak in some sewing time whenever I can (ignoring the other things I should be doing!), and luckily Max goes to bed pretty early these days. Pretty soon I’m going to have to start chasing after him though, and then I imagine my sewing time will decrease even more!

Paty Z says:

Please, please !!! could you make a tutorial for this quilt? It´s beautiful. I know you have lots of work with the baby, by the way how do you manage? I have three (teenagers) and I can´t have the speed that you have!

Sara Hill says:

This one is easy to love. The other one, previous, that you have been ambivalent about, loving, not knowing, will be, I think, when it is quilted one of those that is subtle and grows on you. In my mind, it’s not as “easy”, but those are the ones that, in the art sense, ask more of the viewer, but are very beautiful. I love both kinds of quilts.

Karen says:

This is another gorgeous quilt!! You are amazing….. I have the same question as Stephanie, with little ones in the house I’m lucky to finish a quilt every 3 or 4 months. I’d love to know your secret too. :-))

26. Pingback: Nauti quilt for last of warm weather · Quilting | CraftGossip.com

Freddie says:

Great quilt. Love the scrappy triangles.

Michelle says:

Gorgeous quilt! I love how the backing peeps through to the front in that first photo. So summery and light and FUN! Well done.

Stephanie says:

Looks like Max loves your quilting lines too. ;)

Krystal says:

What’s your strategy with dense straight line quilting? Can’t seem to get mine to stop pulling in one direction or the other. Always ends with a lot of ripping out stitches. Please help!!

Katy says:

It’s gorgeous, and love the quilting, looks so soft!

Megan says:

Again, you are an inspiration! You always seem to know exactly what type of quilting will set off the fabrics. Just love the straight line quilting here; it allows the fabrics to shine! Also, I always wonder, do you have some kind of math or geometry background? Your designs are just fabulous. Thanks for sharing.

Amy C says:

Nope – Not tired of triangles. This quilt is absolutely darling!

Yes, I DO love that straight line quilting. Makes me want to touch it! Glad to see the FMF appearing out of the cupboard. Though a little voice hints that tis made easier by the upcoming re-release of this line!

Mary Jo says:

I love the straight line quilting on this quilt. I wonder if that backing print will be in the reprint collection of Flea Market Fancy. I just saw an ad for the collection in the December issue of AP&Q but it’s hard to tell which prints are in the stack. I’m so glad they’re being reprinted since I didn’t get much of the line when it was out the first time.

Kay Hoeppner says:

Love,love,love this quilt and of course the little feet in the one photo are darling.

nancy says:

Gorgeous, love your work. Max is too cute!

Sharon T says:

Wowzer! Beautiful! Please consider a tut…I want this quilt! Thank you for sharing your sweet son with us. He is a doll!

Jody says:

So pretty! I’m a huge fan of scrappy quilts, I’ve never seen one that didn’t “wow” me … and they are just so fun to make.

Britt-Inger says:

I loooove it. I´m looking forward to a tutorial. I´m a big fan of scrappy quilts

Marianne says:

I love this quilt! I never tire of these triangles. How far apart are your quilting lines and are they evenly spaced?

Marianne says:

I love that quilt! I want to make one. Your baby models it so well!

LeAnn says:

Love the quilt—and all that straight line quilting!

Mary Malone says:

Yes, please! A tutorial would be great! LOVE THIS

Becky says:

Love this quilt. I love the scrappy triangles. I love the layout. I love the quilting. And I must say Max is a beautiful baby and model. Hoping for a tutorial. I’ve been following your blog for a short time, but you have inspired me to become earnest about quilting again. I have also started using my blog site again. Thanks for sharing your love of quilting.

Peggy Faber says:

The other day when I saw all the triangles, I just moved on, thinking, no…not my favorite…..but OH MY!! Do I ever love the finished product! So nice! And yes, I do love the Request batting also. Thanks for sharing.

Linda V says:

LOVE the straight line quilting! Is this one about 1/2 inch apart? It is hard to tell from the pics, but it is wonderful!

Patty says:

Love your quilt. The straight line quilting is fabulous.

kate says:

love this quilt! was literally debating how to quilt my current project when film in the fridge came through my email and…. done, started minutes after :) wondering though… do you wash your quilts before you do the binding? love how crinkly this one in particular looks, but that washing machine… always intimidates me when it comes to dropping in a load of hard work and love…

sewkatiedid says:

Oh man…fabulous. I feel the same about anything triangular. That stone wall is taking me straight home to Summer in Connecticut too. Nice to see Max is vertical now, a whole new world.

Cindy says:

Beautiful quilt, Ashley! I’ll have to try that batting sometime. Love all the colors you used and it looks like Max does too.:) Love his little hat!! Have a great weekend! Warm and sunny skies for the weekend here in Ohio-hope you get some too!

Shanna says:

I really like this quilt! I mostly lurk here, but have been reading your blog since before you were quilting. I wasn’t so sure when you posted it before, but now that you can see the whole thing and the lovely zig-zag design…WOW! I can’t wait to see the other one with the more muted tones and neutral scrappy background. Thanks so much for your blog – it’s so inspiring :)

Cari says:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! I never would have thought of the “nautical” theme but it’s perfect for this quilt! Congrats on another great quilt. Max is just so absolutely adorable!

Dalya says:

So gorgeous! I love the straight line quilting, it adds a wonderful texture! I too would like to know how to make one of these blocks, it looks so practical due to the different sizes of pretty scraps!
    Good to know someone else loves Quilters Dream batting! I have their Deluxe loft because I’m crazy and like to sew thick and heavy things, lol.

Susan K from Canada says:

This quilt is stunning – the colours, the fabric, the scrappy quilted triangles, and the straight line quilting which is amazing – WOW – thanks for sharing

Elisabeth says:

bring on the tutorial…I can’t wait to make my version of this very beautiful quilt!!

57. Pingback: FITF: scrappy triangles – a quilt block tutorial | Film in the Fridge

Wow! Wow! Wow! Such a beautiful summer sailing quilt! I love scrappy quilts because each fabric makes you think of another loved project. So nice and the pictures are beautiful! This is a special quilt. Really well done!

Sierra says:

Can I buy one pre maid?

Cathy says:

Ashley, I love the nautical quilt. I work in a quilt shop and would like to make the quilt and offer a class. Do you have patterns for sale that could be used? Is there another way I can gain permission to use your design? I’m happy to give credit where it is due – just need to know how to do it appropriately. Thanks so much.

61. Pingback: For the love of friends | bold goods