the manly baby quilt

Thank you all so very much for all the sweet comments on the baby’s room! I really appreciate all the kind words and the well wishes! He still seems content to stay inside, so I guess I get a bit more time for sewing and quilting (or at least that’s my way of putting a positive spin on it!)

This one is one you’ve seen a few times, so perhaps it won’t be very exciting. My sister stopped over the other day and when I showed her the finished quilt, all she could say was “blah, boring, seen it”. And indeed, these blocks have been up on our design wall for what seems like forever. I just looked back, and it looks like I pulled fabrics for this quilt back in 2009, and made these blocks up in early 2010. I had big plans to make this a queen sized quilt with the blocks set on point. But of course, as you can see, time passed and I got busy with other things. I ended up setting other blocks on point, so I no longer felt the need to do so with this quilt.

Anyway, long story… not very interesting. The other day I decided that I should just sew together the 20 blocks I had into a baby quilt. Since this was always called the ‘manly quilt’, now it’s known as the ‘manly baby quilt’. This one is a mix of Denyse Schmidt Hope Valley, several solids, a bit of Flea Market Fancy, some Kei Honeycomb dots and a little Joel Dewberry. (I used the same fabrics for our throw pillows too)

And I’m actually very happy with it as a baby quilt, not only because I can finally call it finished. I know I said I wasn’t going to make any more quilts for the baby, but I guess I lied. Add this one to the pile!

For the backing I used pieces of the remaining fabrics, sewn together into a bit of a strip pattern (yes, made during my strip quilt phase!)

I really like the wider strips as a backing, and once again, the use of many solids really lets you see the quilting design. (or rather, it would have, had I gotten a better photo!)

I played around with some straight line quilting on this one, and I quite like the pattern. Unfortunately you can’t really tell from these sunny photos what the quilting looks like. There are areas with just straight lines, and then a section where the lines cross to create a diamond pattern. It’s always fun to play around with something a bit different! (If anyone’s really interested, let me know – I could probably draw up a little diagram to show the quilting pattern!)

Ok, enough about the quilt, it’s time for a brisk walk… maybe that will get the baby moving?!

_ _ _

This entry was posted in baby, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Square-in-Square Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to the manly baby quilt

Suzanne says:

Good morning, Ashley! In the photo of the back of the quilt, I can see a tag sticking out. I’ve never noticed those before on your quilts. Is it something new that you are doing? Could you talk about it, maybe describe it and say whether it’s a handmade tag or a manufactured one? Do you date the quilts too? Thank you!

• 2
      ashley says:

I’ve had these tags for a long time – they’re pretty simple – just ‘filminthefridge’ printed on a ribbon. I can’t recall where I bought them. I’ve been mainly using them for clothing and other small project, but I recently ran out of the labels I used for quilts, so have been using these instead. I don’t date my quilts.

kate says:

Good luck, Ashley, and don’t underestimate the power of quilting to send you into labor! I spent the day before I went into labor frantically piecing and sandwiching an overdue (ha ha) quilt for my nephew, because I knew I’d never get to it after I had my own baby. I’m pretty sure that huffing and puffing and crawling around on the floor laying out blocks with my giant 41-week belly (and then having a small glass of beer with dinner) is what put me over the edge and started me on the craziest adventure of my life! If nothing else, it helped pass the time. Hope doing what you love does the same for you! :)

It’s a gorgeous manly baby quilt Ashley and the nursery is perfect for the little guy.

kimland says:

LOVE, the little man quilt! and your nursery is perfect, what a lucky little fellow. I hope your wait isn’t too much longer.

Terri says:

I don’t think it’s boring at all! I love the colors, and the great mix on the backing. The quilting really gives it that next level of interest. Enjoy your walk!

Sarah says:

Look at those last days as bonus days, the last days in years that will be entirely yours (to sew with).
    I wish you all kinds of luck with the birth and your son, though I have to admit I’m secretly a little worried we won’t get to enjoy as much of your sewing for a while.

Kelsey says:

Yes! Walking will get the baby moving! So will intimate times with your man and using some evening primrose oil (inserted, mind you). I just had my son a few weeks ago & I know how ready you are by week 40!

Nanna says:

Looks fantastic. Love it.

Lauren JH says:

Ashley – I love everything you make! Best wishes and prayers for an easy and safe birthing of your son. Please post a pic when he arrives – so excited for you!

Kelly O. says:

I would love a more detailed idea of how you did the quilting–i have a quilt that uses a lot of solids and this might pick it up a bit :)

to get labour going I walk–alot!!!
    my water broke with my son after walking up a hill pulling 2 three year olds in a wagon :)

Susan McKey says:

Um…yeah! I’m interested in a quick sketch of your quilting design! So very sweet. Keep walking :-)

Kenda says:

I’m a new reader, so the quilt is new to me. It’s great! And a baby can never have too many quilts.

J.Lynne says:

I totally disagree with the ‘been there, done that’ attitude. I love this quilt. I personally have difficulty matching fabrics and designs that are ‘manly’ enough and I feel like you have done a wonderful job with this one. Hopefully I will get the baby boy quilt that I am working on now done soon.

Emer says:

Hi, I’ve been following your blog for a while now. Congratulations on the soon to be arrival of the new baby. And I just love your strip quilts. I made one last week as a gift for a new baby, and it turned out fabulous. Unfortunately I didnt get a picture of it. I like the straight line quilting, a diagram would be nice, if you have time!

nettie says:

oh, i really love the quilting. good luck, he’ll come sometime, right?

Karen says:

this is a beautiful quilt!! i’m curious about that lovely green in there? what color is that, if you ever have time to post…. best wishes on your soon to be big day. it won’t be long now.

Nikki says:

I love the blocks, but the quilting really makes it! I think you have inspired me to do something similar with a baby boy top that I just finished!

Linda says:

This is not BORING! I love this manly quilt. Would love to see a diagram of the quilting…I love straight line quilting. My son was 19 days after my due date…longest time of my life. I did a lot of sewing! Stay busy and try to keep moving. Best wishes!

Beth Ellen says:

It will be interesting to see which of the quilts you have made–all so beautiful–becomes baby’s favorite. One of them will catch his eye, and you will see him carrying it all around the house as a toddler! Best wishes for labor and delivery–I am sure you are anxious to meet him!
    I really enjoy your blog, and find your work so inspiring.

Jen says:

I love your blog, I am so inspired by all of your beautiful fabric choices and wonderful quilts that you seem to whip together so effortlessly! I love this manly baby quilt so much, the color scheme is my new personal favorite! Good luck with the walking! (Also, I just noticed that all of my sentences ended with !!! Guess you know how I feel about your blog now;)

Jen S. says:

I don’t find this one boring at all! Granted, I haven’t been looking at it on a design wall for a year, but I still love it. I’d love to see a diagram of the quilting. From what I can tell, it’s beautiful. Good job for taking advatage of the opportunity to sew before the little man arrives, but be sure to get plenty of sleep, too!

Kim says:

It is a beautiful quilt and it is great that you have something to pass the time while waiting for him :o) It is a great quilt for him to grow with not too manly and not too baby…just perfect as I am sure he will be!!!!!

nicke cutler says:

I’ve heard of something else that can get labor started… is your husband around??? ;)

If that baby has not yet made an appearance, then I’m hoping for a wonderful birth experience for you!

Cristin says:

Its a very manly quilt! Love it!
    YES go walk walk walk until you can’t walk anymore, then walk a bit more.
    That’s what got my labor going… and KEPT it going! I was most comfortable during contractions walking, and a hot shower :-)
    Good luck to you – can’t wait to see new little mr.!

Krystal muller says:

Please, can you tell us if you use a walking foot to quilt? I’m so impressed by the lack of puckering – your quilting always looks so smooth!

Dawn says:

Gorgeous!! Gray, green, and blue are my favorite colors…I love this! Definitely not boring. I adore the random pieces of scraps that made their way into your blocks! The tag is fabulous, too….babies love tags!!!

chris says:

Those blocks were meant to be a baby quilt, they suit it perfectly and will fit right into his room. I don’t think a child can have too many quilts. My boys have like 5 each and yet they still insist on stealing all the living room throw quilts. Not to mention Izzy, who seems to have another quilt to drag around with her on all her adventures every time I look at her. The best is when she covers herself with all her doll quilts, lol, seriously 6 doll quilts perfectly laid out over her little body….too cute for words. He will love them all, when he decides to come out and use them, that is.

Ruth says:

What fantastic photos! And another gorgeous quilt. This makes me smile. :-)

Rebekah says:

I asked my mom-in-law to make my sons matching quilts for their twin beds. She has just been waiting for me to pick out the fabric and tell her what kind of quilt. I have not found anything that has really struck my eye until now. I love this quilt. I love the grey and white and black and blue together and I think it will be perfect for them now (6 and 3 YO) but also be great for them in 15 years. Would you be willing to share where you got the fabric/collection? Thanks so much. A friend recently referred me to your blog because I mentioned I was having a hard time finding quilts I like for boys. The currently have tan walls and dark red curtains so that might have to change but I’m just excited to have found a quilt I love.

Annalia says:

No fun when people cease to be impressed with your mad quilting skillz. …I still think it’s exciting to see the finished product.

Wendi says:

You know, your child will need a twin sized quilt at SOME point. Perhaps now would be a good time to get that done. Who knows what you will be doing when he actually needs it.

Good luck, and enjoy this pause before your entire world changes.

Melissa says:

I think it’s a perfect quilt for a little boy. It’s hard to pull fabrics together for a boy that aren’t too babyish but you managed to find a wonderful combination of fabrics that are timeless.

Jan says:

Love the quilt, boo to your sister!

Sarah M says:

Is the Blue Seal restaurant in Richmond still open? If so, I know many women who swear that a spicy chicken dish on their menu is guaranteed to kick off labor! The room and the quilts look terrific. Seems like everything is ready except the little guy!

Molly says:

Your poor sister has become immune to the beauty of your quilts. So sad, you should show her some boring quilts so she can reacquaint herself with it. Your quilts are anything but boring. It’s like forgetting how much better whipped cream is than cool whip. ;)

Mary says:

Looks like these photos were taken down at what we called growing up in Burlington “the salt docks” and which is now known as “The Burlington Waterfront”. Am I right? Love the quilt by the way.

Ally says:

I really love how this looks and the way the back looks! The colors are great! I find that your quilts quite constantly leave me awestruck and inspired and this one is no different! I am very interested in seeing the quilting. I think it looks like my favorite part of this quilt! Thanks for sharing!

Vicki says:

LOVE this quilt. The colors are beautiful!

Phoebe says:

Oh please! I’d love to see a quilting diagram. I need new ideas!!

phoebe says:

yes please for a quilting diagram!

Marianne says:

Your sister is just plain silly, the quilt is not boring at all. I would love to see a diagram of the quilting as I just finished a similar quilt in all reds, yellows, and pinks, definitely a most unmanly quilt! As for the baby, he’ll come when he is ready. My daughter came precisely on her due date even though they tried to induce a week prior!

Do try to enjoy these moments BEFORE baby comes. I know he’s been a long time coming, but you never get this freedom back. Then, you’ll enjoy all those moments AFTER baby comes. Maybe we just ought to enjoy every day!

Andrea says:

Hang in there! My little guy was a week and a half late, so I feel your pain! Great job on this one, I personally love it.

Leigh says:

I would love to see a sketch of the quilting pattern…love this quilt!!

kate says:

hi ashley, i commented on your blog awhile back and right after i clicked post comment, a stirring began within me…i thought, surely it must be frowned down upon in blogworld to say “hi come visit me at my blog” it felt a little in your face, if you will, and after days of contemplating this thought, yes i’ve been contemplating it for days…i have come to the conclusion that i should comment once again, this time apologizing for my silly/potentially irritating behavior. and let’s face it, you don’t need any irritation at 4o wks pregnant! my excuse is, i’m new to blogworld, and clearly i have alot to learn! but hopefully someday you’ll get over, right?! babies have a way of making us soft! i just love your blog, it’s so inspiring and well written and lovely and i guess i just wanted to share mine with you. so that’s it, good luck with this most fabulously precious time, there’s nothing like, enjoy ever minute! kate

sandra says:

This is Baby’s QUILT will match His room to a “T” so now he can come!

Sandee says:

HI Ashley, a customer of mine found this quilt on your blog and wants me to make it for her. Do you have a pattern I can purchase. She wants a twin or a full size. It is beautiful! Thanks so much!

Hillary says:

Hello I love love your quilt do you have a tutorial for this one or sell the pattern at all I would love to make this for my little boys bedding its perfect!!!