Innocent Crush Rectangle Squared Quilt

So… I finally finished my first quilt of 2011!

I started this one at the end of 2010, and wrote up a tutorial on how to make these blocks. I even got Morgan to sandwich it and then somehow it got stacked in a pile of finished quilts and I forgot all about it. Then when browsing the FITF flickr group the other day I saw a couple other lovely quilt tops made using my tutorial, and I realized I needed to get this one done!

I quilted this one with straight lines, running both vertically and horizontally alongside the sashing. I went with double lines on every other row and column to give it a bit more interest.

It’s bound with a bright spring green solid, which I think really complements all the blues and purples of the Innocent Crush fabrics.

The backing is one of my favorite prints from this line, along with a bit of patchwork detail at the top and bottom. It measures about 40″ x 55″ and makes a great lap quilt or a cute crib sized quilt! It’s listed in the shop!

Previous post about this quilt can be found here.

Tutorial can be found here.

Fabrics are from Anna Maria Horner's Innocent Crush line - the Charmed colorway. These fabrics can be found at many of the shops listed in my sidebar.

This entry was posted in Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Other Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

71 Responses to Innocent Crush Rectangle Squared Quilt

summerfete says:

Looks lovely especially rolled up!
    I’m envious of your first finished quilt of 2011!!
    Clare

jessica says:

What a spectacular winter pallet–I love those colors against the snowy gray sky! Beautiful job.

Kar says:

Gorgeous! I might have to try it out for myself. Thanks for sharing. Love the quilt model in the snow. Makes the colors even more fabulous. :)

Alisa says:

This quilt looks amazing! It matches the landscape perfectly.

tuolivia says:

Gorgeous quilt! And the snow makes a very striking backdrop!!

Karen says:

I am just finding myself getting into quilting. I especially love the more modern ones with the white sashing – GORGEOUS!!!

Karen LePage says:

This is positively dreamy. Someday, I’ll make a quilt. In the meantime, I’ll admire yours!

Terri says:

It’s gorgeous – I love it! What a great feeling to have this one finished now.

Lisa says:

Gorgeous! I love the colors. And the pieced back.

elsa says:

love it! I haven’t been a big fan of using white
    but seeing this makes me think that it’s a great
    use of it! thanks so much for sharing it!

Dianne says:

it looks fabulous! and perfect for curling up after you go inside from that snow!!!!

Rachel says:

Wow, you “finally” finished your first quilt of 2011? You are quick! My first finished quilt of 2011 will be a hexagon quilt that I started beginning of 2010. :)

I do like the green you used on the binding! Really a fun surprise when you look at the pictures! Great finish!

Greta says:

Lovely, just. lovely.!

Good call on the binding color, it really compliments the fabric! Quilt looks great!

Brrrr. This quilt was made for a winter wonderland photo shoot! The blue/purples on white are gorgeous.

Shasta says:

It is a beautiful quilt, and so nicely presented. I want to learn how to take photographs like that.

20. Pingback: A Quilty Weekend | justabitfrayed

Suzanne says:

I like the little postage stamp size squares next to the larger blocks.

Love it! I was never the biggest fan of the innocent crush fabrics – too many colours going on in most quilts made with it, but I like the way you’ve pared the fabrics right back and let that gorgeous colourway speak for itself.

Heather says:

Cool pictures, I like the lighthouse in the background, it’s so pretty! I really enjoyed making this quilt top, so thank you for the tutorial :) I made the purple and green one in your flickr pool. It’s a great one for fat quarters.

Kate says:

It looks SO cold! Lovely quilt, the binding looks fab x

Suzanne says:

What a sweet quilt. I also love the abstract quality of the photos, especially with the tiny lighthouse in the background.

Kim says:

Beautiful quilt and I love the photos!

Holy cow! Look at where you live!!! What is that lighthouse in the background? Oh, wait.
    The quilt. LOVELY. But, wait…the trees…is that an inlet? So – - sincere, this place you live.
    Oh, the quilt. The fabrics, the pattern. Yep. Stunning. All of it.

Jessica says:

Love it! I have some of this fabric that I’m trying to figure out how to use. It’s between a couple different patterns.

Look at all the snow! It looks so beautiful. Love Anna Maria – nice fabric. Xx

Munaiba says:

That looks really lovely Ashley.

jodi says:

absolutely gorgeous!! love it!

CJ says:

It is lovely! I really like the binding color. Your pattern is on my list – hopefully for this year. :D

Emmmylizzzy says:

I just started making a new quilt using this tutorial and mostly Nicey Jane with some coordinates mixed in. Thanks for the great pattern!

Jessica says:

beautiful!! :) thanks for sharing! :)

Nova says:

it’s beautiful! & a perfect snowy setting.
    x

Maryse says:

I love all those colors it just makes me smile I wonder where my first “done” quilt is?Thx for sharing

Tom the DH says:

Who’s the courageous soul that held up the quilt in the snow? I always complain when the wife makes me hold up her quilts for photos, but we live in sunny CA. Looking at this picture, I don’t think I can every complain again.

39. Pingback: Innocent Crush as fast as you can! « Mad About Patchwork

Chris says:

Would just like to say that I love your blogsite. You have beautiful quilts and things each time I check. Very inspirational for me I must say. Keep up the good work!

Angie says:

I love this quilt, the design, the colors, the back, the quilting, and I could keep going. This one is awesome! Great finish! Also, cute background picture with the lighthouse.

Fran says:

Such a pretty quilt. How deep is the snow now?

Kim says:

Stunningly beautiful – great job!

Sylvia Vigesaa says:

Just beautiful.. Love the color combination.

Willo says:

You are amazing, your eye for color is astounding! Kiss Kiss! Sweet girl!

Debbie says:

Beautiful colors!!!!

Kim Becker-Howe says:

Very talented work done on this quilt.

Cyn says:

You are an inspiration! What a great way to use up odds and ends. Looks like spring peaking through the wintery snow. I need to get busy.

49. Pingback: Tweets that mention FITF: Innocent Crush Rectangle Squared Quilt | Film in the Fridge -- Topsy.com

Kathi says:

Love, love, love the colors – perfect against the snow (and the white background fabric).

Candis says:

I love the simplicity of this quilt, it is very eye catching. I can’t wait to go upstairs and see what I have in my stash. I look forward to seeing more? thank you for posting it….:)

Mary says:

LOVE THESE PHOTOS!!!!! Yes, the quilt is amazingly beautiful but the setting with the colors in the quilt is just perfect. I would buy a large print of that first photo, really.

Cindy H. says:

It’s beautiful. I love a quilt with white and lots of bright colors.

Mabel Brooks says:

What a beautiful Quilt! It took my breath away! This will be my first for 2011!
    Thanks for inspiring me!!!

Fran Dotson says:

Beautiful. The small picture didn’t appeal to me – then I clicked on it and Oh My. Very interesting combination of how you put it together…love it. It’s a ‘Happy Quilt’. Thanks for sharing. And love the backing – would never have thought of a border on the back.

Jazz says:

This quilt is glorious. I am so happy that quilting club on facebook showcased it so I can start following your blog. Awesome work and great photography also.

Now will you help me finish mine? lol!

dls says:

Very nice!! Thanks for sharing!

Rosalie says:

Gorgeous! The colours are stunning. I love that pattern, I made a quilt for my mother using your tute, so easy to follow and the results are awesome :)

61. Pingback: FITF: an Anna Maria Horner Rubik’s Crush quilt | Film in the Fridge

62. Pingback: FITF: celebrating milestones | Film in the Fridge

Susan Simonetta says:

In the process of making one at the moment, love the quilt.

Sheena Wolfe says:

I have been silently following you for several months now. You have greatly inspired me to create and quilt! I agree with you on this one. I’m not much for purple but I really love all these colors together on the white. Great job!

cecilia says:

Congratulations!

Helen Bazinet says:

Hi I just finished making the top from your tutorial. My OLD machine or Me had a hard time getting the lines straight, on the whole it looks great. If this is the entry for the quilt and I happen to win I have four Grand daughters I’m making quilts for, hopefully for Christmas.

Rona says:

I haven’t been reading your blog very long, a friend sent me the link, but what I really like is the contemporary and innovative approach to quilting. I’ve collected a lot of quilting books over the last 14 years that I have been quilting but your blog provides a fresh spark of creativity to a very traditional pursuit. There is nothing stuffy about the guilts pictured here. The latest addition of your new son to the photo stream is an added treat. Keep up the good work and keep those posts coming. Love your blog, –Rona

Jacki Folkman says:

I love the quilt and your site. You have inspired me to quilt again. I recently finished an Amy Butler quilt and am working on several more. Also, you son is just precious. Please keep posting more pictures of Max.

Linda McCoy says:

I used this as inspiration for making my own version – just completed. I wanted one big enough for a queen bed, so made each component larger and then added more and longer rows. I love it! I really look forward to each of your new designs!

70. Pingback: Analysis Paralysis | modern bias

71. Pingback: Infinite Search Space | A square is a rectangle?