Timber!

timber-quilt

Remember this quilt? These colors always felt beachy to me, so I figured it was only right to take photos of it at the lake. This one is made from Jessica Levitt’s Timber line in the breeze colorway.

timber

The pattern is my take on the quilt pattern used in Randi’s ‘On the Road to Spring’ quiltalong. I changed it up a bit by altering the size of the rectangles, adding in the thin white strips on either side of the solid green squares, and adjusting the placement of the blocks.

timber-backing

One of my favorite prints from this line is this larger floral, so I used a large section of it on the back along with a strip of rectangles I had left over from the front. (and yes, the green is the same on the front and the back, though the color certainly looks different depending on how the sun hits it!)

timber-binding2

I always had it in mind to bind it in the same green solid that’s used throughout the quilt, but as I was quilting it I kept thinking about purple instead. One of my favorite Kona solids is Raisin – I pulled a piece out after I was done quilting it and was pleased to see that the raisin went quite nicely!

timber-binding

This one ended up measuring about 60″ x 66″ or so – a great size for a throw! It’s listed in the shop, (sold, thanks Kaz!) should anyone be interested…

__
Notes:

Some of the Timber fabrics can be still be purchased at fabricworm or at Hawthorne Threads

The solid green fabric is Moda Bella Pistachio and the binding is Kona Raisin.

This entry was posted in 2010 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Other Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Timber!

jennifer says:

i like this simple patchwork. good job!

Faith says:

I love this one! I might use that fabric to do something for my bedroom, it’s very relaxing looking.

Wendy P says:

That is really cute. I am going to bookmark this so I can make up something like it too. Probably for QOV.

erica says:

This looks great! Love the colors…

Ellen says:

I love this one!! I love the fabrics, I love the way you did the backing, I love the colors. You are so talented!!

moira says:

I am loving your work!

Linda says:

This is really pretty. I love the one X looking fabric on the front that is used for the backing as well. That design gives the front of the quilt some special pizzazz, doesn’t it? The back is fabulous!

The addition of the little white strips and the raisin binding is a perfect variation.

Laura says:

Looks great, makes me want to go find that tree fabric that’s in the Timber’s collection!

Gale says:

This is an interesting pattern and I love the fabrics that you used with it. Lovely job!

Meg says:

Really love this one! One of my favorites of yours this year!

Hollie says:

Super gorgeous! I love it!

The raisin binding was a really great idea!

P.S. We know you just practically live at the lake all summer ;0)

Suzanne says:

I really like the impact that Raisin packs along the edge.

WHATUPDUCK says:

Beautiful! I love the raisin binding!

Marg says:

I have some Timber waiting to be used. I love the Pistachio and Raisin solids you have teamed with it. A beautiful quilt and lovely setting to showcase it.

Amy K-P says:

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! I just LOOOOVE IT Ashley!

Jeannette says:

Very nice I love the fabric. It looks like a cool tree in the background with the prints!

Amy C says:

Very eye catching! I like that quilt.

Sarah C. says:

That is gorgeous, both front and back! And you’re right – it’s very beachy!! The purple binding really “makes” the quilt – I love it!

Kristie says:

I was wondering when you’d finish this one….I had saved the picture of the top and was planning to do something similar with some Nicey Jane and some seafoam :-) Looks great- hope my version goes as well! Love the Raisin.

sherry says:

I love it. Front to back, it’s just awesome!

Munaiba says:

The raisin border really sets it off. Well done!

Mel Nunn says:

Hi… I love your quilts, and I get excited when I see a post of yours in my bloglines!

I have a question :) I am a beginner quilter and I love pieced backings. I would like to try it next but I am wondering if you have any tips on getting the backing straight when you cant see it when basting. Do you have any other pieced backing advice also?

Thanks so much and have a great day!

Mel

I think binding in it in a raisin color is the better choice, that way it pulls out the purple/lilac colors that are in the flowers. My favorite part is the back of the quilt. The very strong linear “swaths” always grab my attention. I am sure someone will buy it and lovingly put it in their lake house.

Terri says:

I love those thin white strips in between the prints. And I adore that Raisin fabric for the binding! Might have to order some of that color. Great quilt!

Caroline says:

Beautiful quilt! Perfect for beachin’

I absolutely love this quilt!
    Gorgeous!

Ooh. So lovely to see it all finished. You know I’, holding up my raisin Kona to the fabrics right now to see how it goes… :)

Kaz says:

YES!! MY FAVORITE!! I love it and I now own it! Thank you ASH! I am a proud owner..now didn’t we talk about putting this quilt on the water?…

Hilary says:

I love this quilt, I think I may try it with some fabric I have set aside. However the fabric that would take the place of the green squares is a pattern. Not sure how that would turn out. Do you by chance have the size of your squares, rectangle and strips?? I really like the sizing but I have a feeling I would be cutting many random sizes to get it right. I know this quilt was done a long time ago but if you happen to be able to tell me I would be most appreciative.