a series of Hope Valley quilts

Remember the quilt blocks I made using Denyse Schmidt’s purple and orange Hope Valley fabrics? I ended up with 16 blocks, and at first, figured I’d just use them all to make one largish lap quilt, as usual. As I kept looking at them though, I kept coming back to this idea I had of a series of smaller quilts, all using the same fabrics but in different combinations. I couldn’t get it out of my mind, so here you have it!

hopevalleyx4(2)

I used 4 of my Hope Valley quilt blocks for each quilt, and then did a slightly different arrangement for each one, changing up the placement of the blocks, the borders, the background colors, and also the quilting.

hopevalleyx4

My favorite part, which you can’t see too closely here, is the addition of tiny squares somewhere on the quilt front which I used as a type of labeling system to signify the order in which they were made. You can see the 1 little square in the quilt on the far right, which was the first of the series. Love it!

hopevalleybacksx4(2)

The backs are all pieced, using up the remaining printed and solid fabrics, and each quilt is bound with one of the purple Hope Valley prints.

hopevalleybacksx4

And indeed, I just love them, each and every one (but you probably already knew that, right?!)

I’ll post a closer look at each one over the next couple of days!

This entry was posted in 2009 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Square-in-Square Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to a series of Hope Valley quilts

susan says:

fantasmaGORGEOUS! loooove the little square “markers”. i can’t tell you how much i love these.

Tonya says:

They are beautiful! I noticed the little square markers immediately. I was wondering if you appliqued them on, or if they are sewn into the quilt?

Liz says:

Gorgeous, as always! I’m definitely going to have to get my hands on some Hope Valley, it’s really growing on me. Love each quilt individually, and adore them as a series!

Zarina says:

I cannot exactly say I like to top of the quilts, but I LOVE the backing and the idea of the square boxes to indicate the sequence of the quilts. And I love how you use these four people to portray the quilts.

lynda green says:

Love the idea of variations on a theme… beautifully done.

brandeye says:

what a great idea, i LOVE them!

Jeni says:

These are beautiful! I just received my stack of Hope Valley and I’m trying to figure out what to do with it! :)

Amy says:

Love the locale/composition of the photographs. So lucky of you to have 4 volunteers!

Jan says:

These are all wonderful, so creative. You’re very lucky to have such great Quilt Holders!

Whitney says:

I love how you turned one sort-of-typical (though what I’m sure would have been lovely) quilt into four very-something-specials. Not to mention their sequenced numbers…a new signature? I think so!

And the photography? Fantastic. I can’t even pick a favorite.

Really cool. Love the little squares. And your backs are fantastic as usual.

Pokey says:

The quilts are nice, but your helpers must really love you to march around to the various settings-! Really quite striking photos, would look great in a quilt calendar.

Eileen says:

Good job from the holders too!

McMahon Made says:

I love your little helpers! I enjoy reading your blog every day… I look forward to all of the beautiful and creative quilts that you are going to create in 2010. :)

Audrie says:

Great idea breaking them up into four quilts! And as always I love your quilt backs. Totally loving that you managed to rope four helpers into holding up the quilts lol

Tracey J says:

Gorgeous and brilliant.
    And how satisfying to finish 4 quilts instead of just 1!

These are just wonderful! Love the squares as numbering system and the willing crew to display them :).

joan

Great Hope Valley inspiration! Thank you!

The marking system is my favorite part!!

Wendy says:

LOVE these and how you photographed them!

jaybird says:

great quilts… and great team of quilt holders!!

Kate says:

They look great! Can’t wait to see individual quilts close up.

Sarah says:

You are so creative… brilliant concept – the quilts & photography!

I love the way you have taken the photos. Yay quilt photo assistants.

Really beautiful quilts that look awesome with the dark grey sky.

Debbie says:

Such a great idea to make four quilts! I also love the square numbering system. The way you arranged the quilt and their holders makes the photos even more fun. Thanks for all the sharing you do!

29. Pingback: hope valley quilts 2 & 3 – Film In The Fridge

Shannon says:

Cool pictures! The quilts are beautiful.

Melanie C says:

Fabulous quilts…I LOVE them!

32. Pingback: 2009 was a good year – Film in the Fridge

corrie says:

beautiful! what a clever idea to have them all photographed like that! I love them all, waiting for my hope valley to arrive on my doorstep, at first I was a bit so so on the range but now that I’m starting to see it made up I am just loving it!!!!!

well done, gorgeous

Corrie:)

Kyla says:

LOVE THE QUILTS!!! They are sooo pretty and i love how you took one design and made it into four smaller quilts. The little squares to tell which order you made them in is a really smart and creative idea. Sooo ADORABLE!

aimee says:

All really gorgeous! I love the squares to mark which one the quilt is in the series. You have incredibly patient friends/family to pose for pictures – the shots crack me up! What a great way to photograph a series of quilts!

36. Pingback: a book winner (and other news) – Film in the Fridge

37. Pingback: Hope Valley Quilt — Fresh Lemons Modern Quilts

38. Pingback: FITF: a quilt in progress… | Film in the Fridge

jody deschenes says:

yes, these are all fabulous, AND i just love quilts with legs! so FOUR quilts with legs?! heaven!