an echino patchwork quilt

echino-patchwork-quilt

Don’t you just love patchwork squares? I do, and I have a hard time keeping myself from cutting all my fabrics into squares and recombining them into a variety of patchwork square quilts. As I type this, I’m staring across the table at a pile of newly cut squares for a second echino patchwork quilt. Tell me if I get too repetitive and boring, ok?

echino-patchwork-quilt2

So you know of my love of Etsuko Furuya’s fabrics. They’re a great cotton/linen blend and the prints are always so fun. I already have my eye on a number of the new prints which just came out. I’m especially loving Bird Song… oh, and that one with peacocks – how can you go wrong?

Anyway, for this one I pulled out several prints appropriate for a boyish quilt, since I’m always lacking in that department. I added in several Kona solids, as well as some great linen in a corresponding color. The squares in this quilt measure 3.5″.

echino-patchwork-back

The back is a solid green – one of my newest favorite Kona colors – artichoke, zucchini? I can’t remember at the moment (and I don’t have my color chart in front of me!) but it’s a nice one. Take my word. I bought several yards of it from Kathy, so expect to see it popping up in other quilts as well!

I kept the quilting simple – just a few straight lines. Instead of sewing a 1/4″ away from each seam, I opted to sew 2 lines 1/4″ away from one seam in the horizontal direction, and then for the vertical lines I alternated 2 lines with a single line. (I’m never good at explaining this type of thing, but maybe you can see it in the photos!)

echino-patchwork

It’s bound in a chocolate brown solid and it measures about 34″ x 43″. And I love it. I really, really do.

But alas, it’s listed in the shop, in case someone who actually has a boy, or knows someone who’s having a boy, has a need for a nice new quilt! Sold! Thanks Katherine!

This entry was posted in 2009 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Charm Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to an echino patchwork quilt

Jackie says:

Really cute!! Those fabrics are just lovely. I went over to the links and was blown away. How do you like the cotton/linen blend when it washes up? That is the only thing that might keep me from using them. But I am not sure.

Melissa says:

I have been lurking for a while and want to let you know that I love your quilts- this one is great! I’ve used that asparagus and love it, too! We have a local (HUGE) quilt shop that has tons of Kona colors if you are ever stuck: http://www.maryjos.com

Thanks for sharing your quilts with us- they are gorgeous! :)

Chelsea says:

Very cute! I just love the car print!

Jessica C. says:

Sometimes the simplest quilts are the most beautiful. I really do l ike one-block quilts a lot. It’s fun to see what you can do with one block.

Mary on Lake Pulaski says:

Still gorgeous – not boring.

Mady says:

I LOVE it!!! And I do have a boy, but I want to make him something myself otherwise, I would have run to your store!

Allison says:

I love patchwork, too! This is such a pretty quilt and that green backing fabric is a great color.

leslie says:

it is adorable. i have a hard time trying to work with my echino. some of the pieces are just too cute to cut into pieces and you lose the look….this works perfectly.

Valerie says:

I love patchwork squares but mine never line up as perfectly as yours do!

DivaQuilts says:

I’m curious about two things:

One: it seems like you’re referring to this particular type of quilt (a square charm quilt) “patchwork”. Is it only this type of quilt that you call patchwork? I ask, because my understanding is that all pieced quilts are “patchwork” and I’ve always referred to them that way. I would even refer to my OWN quilts as “patchwork” although I never do blocks or charms – or follow any patterns – only free piecing.

Two: is why “encino” patchwork? Is it something as simple as that it’s the name of the fabric line you’re using for this quilt?

Thanks for indulging me, and for your lovely blog!

Munaiba says:

You really have a great eye for colour and fabrics. Thanks for posting the link to the site where you get your fabric. They have fabrics I’ve never seen before. No doubt I’ll pay them another visit – with the emphasis on the “pay” probably – LOL

Faith says:

I love how it turned out. I have a couple of the scooter fabrics because I couldn’t resist them, but I wasn’t sure what to do with them. Great inspiration, you really can’t go wrong with those squares.

cynthia says:

Your quilt is beautiful. I love the colors together. I have to practice on mixing my colors. I might have to steal your quilting idea. I love the pattern. Thanks so much for sharing. Cynthia

Allie says:

I do love a patchwork quilt. This one is fabulous!

Penny g says:

Love the quilt. I understood your quilting description quite easily. It is great looking too.

Jackie says:

I love the simple squares on your quilt. You have a great eye for color.

Kate says:

Love this quilt Ashley and that solid is sensational.

Audrie says:

So adorable! I like that you went with green for the back… makes it kind of gender neutral actually. And my new favourite Kona green is celery.

Andi says:

Gorgeous combination of colours and prints.
    You have such a great eye!!!
    Andi :-)

Bobbi says:

that green kona is my new fav also! i made my sister a quilt with it using black/whites. it turned out adorable!!! youll have to pop in on my blog and see it…your quilt is adorable!

erica says:

your echino quilt is stunning! and very un-boring! Love the painted brick wall in the background too…

Lyndy Young says:

This is beautiful! I love your work. I have a request Ashley – I would like to use one of the images on your blog on my website if you would allow it. It is the photo of the Heather Ross Far Far Away quilt. I am importing the kokka fabrics into New Zealand – a first for us KIwis. I loved the fabric so much I asked Kokka if I could have the wholesale rights to Kokka in New Zealand and they said YES!! I would love to show your photo in the web gallery and attribute it to you if that is OK?

aimee says:

Beautiful. The brown patches really give it movement.

leigh says:

I love this! It turned out so great!

Kyla says:

i love it! the patterns on the fabrics are adorable. i really like the polka dots combined with the panther. it looks great!!! awesome job!

rae says:

I love it too…there’s something so simple and wonderful about patchwork! Fab job as usual!!!

I love this one, so bright and colorful. I never get tired of patchwork squares, there’s just something timeless and beautiful in the simplicity. Not to mention, it really shows off the patterns of fabric.

marta says:

ohmygoodness this is a beauty. am so happy to find your blog. i adore pretty quilts and will be taking a look around!

p.s. have happy news for you. you were my random commenter. you’ve won the giveaway!! congrats. please email me your shipping info. and happy thanksgiving!

32. Pingback: a bold, fun echino boy quilt – Film in the Fridge

33. Pingback: Big secret project « Carrickature

tere616 says:

Your patchwork makes me feel to do more practice :-) it’s really cute