modern munki munki martian quilt

(that’s a lot of m’s!)

modern-martian-quilt

I love this martian fabric – it’s Munki Munki fabric, designed by Heather Ross, and actually cut from a pair of pajamas. (you fabric lovers out there will understand cutting up clothing to use the fabric for something else!). If you’re looking for some, you can purchase it here from Kerri at sewdeerlyloved (she also has a great selection of other munki prints if you’re so inclined!)

The martians in the fabric have a bit of a yellow/lime green hue, so I added in an Amy Butler Lime solid as well as a couple other darker green solids.

modern-martian-block

(cute little martian family!)

I decided to go with blocks inspired by Denyse Schmidt’s What a Bunch of Squares. I made up all the blocks, and to tell you the truth, I wasn’t loving them. There was a definite overabundance of green… and suddenly I wasn’t sure I even liked green! I thought that perhaps it would be ok if I sashed it all in white, but then it started looking too Christmas-y…

So instead I grabbed one of the cream colored solids I had recently purchased (I bought a stack of them, but then couldn’t figure out which was which… and hence the need for the color chart!) — turns out it was ‘natural’. And then in the pile next to it was this nice tan (Kona Stone, in case you’re wondering). I decided to outline each of the green blocks with the natural, and then sash it in the stone.

modern-martian-quilt2

Now here’s the funny part – this wasn’t the original quilt idea, and it actually only came about this way because I had bought a few extra solids and then failed to put them away. I realized after the fact though that it bears a definite resemblance to a quilt block I had seen about a month ago made by Jessie of yarntini. She’s making a munki munki quilt out of a few different munki prints (can’t wait to see it finished!) and you’ll see that the martian block uses very similar colors (I should ask her which Kona solids she used!). So even though it was unconscious, I think I can say that the color scheme for my quilt was inspired by her block!

modern-martian-quilt-back

For the back, I kept it fairly simple, just using the same fabrics from the front in a simple stripe design. I stippled the whole quilt and bound it in the medium green.

Anyway, I’m glad this one is finished. I had many more problems with it than I should have – bad measuring and cutting, a dye lot problem with the Kona Stone… and the list goes on… Now that it’s finished though, I’m quite in love. It was going to be one for the shop, but now I’m not so sure. Morgan seems to be taken with it as well and keeps encouraging me to keep it (now that’s a change!) I think I’ll hang on to it for a little while, but you might find it in the shop at some point! And it’s now listed in the shop!

This entry was posted in 2009 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Square-in-Square Quilts, [search] Wonky/Improv Quilts. Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to modern munki munki martian quilt

Whitney says:

You know, I started out not knowing what you were thinking with this color combo… but alas, you’ve done it again! (Converted me from a downer to an upper, that is.) Those little martians just pop, to the point where I’m embarrassed to say that I start imagining what they’re saying to each other and what their little voices sound like. Yes, your quilt actually gave me an imagination — imagine that! I think it’s a keeper.

Amy says:

I love, love, love this quilt. as a matter of fact, I am actually tempted to buy some martian fabric now! Thanks for pointing out the Kona Stone, I like that too.

Liz says:

LOVE IT! This is one of those quilts that you can’t really seem to get until it’s finished. The neutrals are exactly what you needed.

jessie says:

It’s better than I could have imagined! I love the idea of sprinkling a few non-munki blocks in. It looks amazing!

Anita says:

I love all your quilts. I think I commented once before that seeing all your quilts inspired me to jump back into ordering fabrics and quilting again. and looking through my stash for usable fabrics. hopefully, I’ll start posting again one of these days.

but now, I’m asking for your help if I can. my beautiful 24 yo daughter just got engaged. and I’d like to make her a quilt. something traditional doesn’t sit right… but she likes the double wedding ring? but I’m not sure how to make it “better” ? any hints? ideas? thank you in advance.

jacquie says:

martians…genius. love the colors…the neutrals you chose really make it!

stacey says:

I love it! Nice work and great inspiration!

Helby says:

I absolutely love this! Those colors match my home office exactly.

Nichole says:

i really like how the cream offsets the blocks in the stone sashing. very nice!

Heidi says:

What a great quilt! I love it!

Zarina says:

It is known that boys (incl men) loves anything to do with space and things with wheels.

Cristin says:

Great choice on the Kona Stone! I haven’t seen it look bad in a quilt yet :-) Lovely little martian blocks!

Jackie says:

I just love the quilt! Cristin is right the Kona Stone is perfect for this quilt.

twiddletails says:

I’m totally in love with these colors!

Crystal says:

I think it turned out really well. Good job!

Megan says:

Super duper cute! I am so happy to see those martian PJs put to work – I haven’t cut into my top yet but I have been wearing the bottoms regularly!

Carrie says:

These blocks look so great together. Very nice!

Faith says:

It looks great! You know, I don’t have the martians because I just couldn’t figure out what to do with them, but you ended up hitting it right on the spot!

Audrie says:

This is so gorgeous! I love how you incorporated so many colours of solids into the quilt.

nettie says:

another great one. i have a bunch of martians, and haven’t been sure what to do with them…this is great inspiration.

Amber says:

It’s fantastic Ashley! Love all the squares and the solids were such a good idea.

Karin says:

The stone coloured sashing really makes the light green pop. Thanks for taking us through your sashing decisions. You’re right, plain white would have looked like Xmas. Amazing what a difference, different shades of “white” or “off-white” can make.

Dena says:

I like your solution for toning down all that green. Great job!

I love this quilt. The stone was the perfect solution. So fun. Hang on to it for a while!

kerri says:

It is absolutely amazing!! Love the martians, it is one of my favorites!!
    Thanks for the linky love!! :)

amandajean says:

i’m loving the solids that you used!

Jen says:

Not having looked at the fabric closely yet, and reading the title quickly, I read it as “Modern Munki Munki MARTINI Quilt – which actually worked with the color scheme – olives and pimentos . . . Maybe I’ll pretend the martians are drinking martinis:)

andi says:

I love this one.
    So very gorgeous and the colours work beautifully!!
    Andi :-)

jennifer says:

i like it
    but
    i like the back better!

Kyla says:

you wouldn’t expect the color to go well together….but they do!!!! i actually love the color scheme. the dark green contrast to the red makes the martian squares pop. i had much the same reaction as your sister. its a mess of colors that end up blending well. as always you find great places to take pictures. it always leaves me wondering a to where they were taken. i am always curious.

Terri says:

I really love this quilt, especially because of the color combinations. I like the lime green solid bordering the martian fabrics, and then the darker green, making the martians really pop. And that natural solid is perfect for the sashing – really makes the blocks pop too.

Jan says:

Your quilt is quite striking!! Thanks for all of the info regarding your choices and process. Great post!

Bear says:

Another terrific quilt. Your site is always an inspiration.

Kate says:

An amazing quilt and I love the natural colour you have used for the sashing. It really compliments the lime blocks.

Leigh says:

I LOVE it! One of the things I love is how little munki you used. It gives me lots of quilting hopes for my little stash of munki.

Mary on Lake Pulaski says:

You just gave me wonderful ideas on how to make my alien quilt!!! Thank you. Yours is awesome.

Sonja says:

I understand Morgan, it’s absolutely LOVELY!!!

jo says:

this quilt is fantastic! i love love love it!

Kim says:

LOL! I am still at the martini quilt :) Very nice ! I have the same fabric and am happy to see it cut and put to such a beautiful quilt. It will be my next project!

Jessica says:

LOVE this one — love the color combo, love the green.

aimee says:

Really cool Ashley! I wouldn’t have thought to pair that print with the deepest green but it works SO well. Great quilt!

jude says:

nice in its shocking color and simplicity.

43. Pingback: so much goodness! « *Snippets and Blabbery*

Tell me again – your kona grey and your kona aqua? What are the colors? I love them….
    Thanks!
    natalie@beyondthereefpatterns.com

Elaine says:

This is really great! So cheerful, handsome, and clever. I just recently linked to it from my blog (http://www.nestingblog.us) as an example of a great modern quilt…

46. Pingback: another string quilt… completed! – Film in the Fridge