(that’s a lot of m’s!)
I love this martian fabric – it’s Munki Munki fabric, designed by Heather Ross, and actually cut from a pair of pajamas. (you fabric lovers out there will understand cutting up clothing to use the fabric for something else!). If you’re looking for some, you can purchase it here from Kerri at sewdeerlyloved (she also has a great selection of other munki prints if you’re so inclined!)
The martians in the fabric have a bit of a yellow/lime green hue, so I added in an Amy Butler Lime solid as well as a couple other darker green solids.
(cute little martian family!)
I decided to go with blocks inspired by Denyse Schmidt’s What a Bunch of Squares. I made up all the blocks, and to tell you the truth, I wasn’t loving them. There was a definite overabundance of green… and suddenly I wasn’t sure I even liked green! I thought that perhaps it would be ok if I sashed it all in white, but then it started looking too Christmas-y…
So instead I grabbed one of the cream colored solids I had recently purchased (I bought a stack of them, but then couldn’t figure out which was which… and hence the need for the color chart!) — turns out it was ‘natural’. And then in the pile next to it was this nice tan (Kona Stone, in case you’re wondering). I decided to outline each of the green blocks with the natural, and then sash it in the stone.
Now here’s the funny part – this wasn’t the original quilt idea, and it actually only came about this way because I had bought a few extra solids and then failed to put them away. I realized after the fact though that it bears a definite resemblance to a quilt block I had seen about a month ago made by Jessie of yarntini. She’s making a munki munki quilt out of a few different munki prints (can’t wait to see it finished!) and you’ll see that the martian block uses very similar colors (I should ask her which Kona solids she used!). So even though it was unconscious, I think I can say that the color scheme for my quilt was inspired by her block!
For the back, I kept it fairly simple, just using the same fabrics from the front in a simple stripe design. I stippled the whole quilt and bound it in the medium green.
Anyway, I’m glad this one is finished. I had many more problems with it than I should have – bad measuring and cutting, a dye lot problem with the Kona Stone… and the list goes on… Now that it’s finished though, I’m quite in love. It was going to be one for the shop, but now I’m not so sure. Morgan seems to be taken with it as well and keeps encouraging me to keep it (now that’s a change!) I think I’ll hang on to it for a little while, but you might find it in the shop at some point! And it’s now listed in the shop!
Pingback: so much goodness! « *Snippets and Blabbery*
Pingback: another string quilt… completed! – Film in the Fridge
Pingback: goldfish squared baby quilts – Film in the Fridge
Pingback: Wedding Quilt – Part One « how to be jenna
Pingback: munki in the middle, version 2 (a & b) – Film in the Fridge
Pingback: After a Break « Love Vintage Crafts
Pingback: FITF: red, purple & gray | Film in the Fridge
Pingback: FITF: Henry – months 5 & 6 | Film in the Fridge