blocks, blocks and more blocks

June was my month for the Block Party quilting bee, and I can’t tell you how much fun it was to start getting blocks returned to me. I oohed and aahed over each and every one. I’m still waiting on a few, but thought that maybe I’d show you what I have so far. I had requested blocks in a similar style as Denyse Schmidt’s Drunk Love in a Log Cabin, and so far, everyone’s really delivered! Take a look -

block-party-blocks

Fun, right? I can’t wait to get the rest of them so I can sew the top together!

Meanwhile, I’ve also been working on more of these munki munki blocks. I’m starting to think I may have been crazy to think I’d be able to do enough for a queen sized quilt. I’m rethinking that idea…

dandelion-block

pool-block

tulip-block

I’m trying to decide now if I want sashing or not… any opinions?

And a few other random things…

If you’re visiting here from Sew Mama Sew, welcome! I’m pleased to be a new member of their board, and if you haven’t already read it, there’s a little bio posted here.

Thank you all for the kind comments on the shop – I really appreciate all your feedback! Also, some of you have noticed that I have set up an Etsy shop in addition to the shop attached to this blog. I’ll probably list quilts in both spots, but will probably also list a few other items on the blog shop. I’m working on cleaning out my fabric stash, and I’ve started listing a few pieces here.

Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend. Hey, guess what? It’s going to rain here…

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts, Quilt Blocks and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to blocks, blocks and more blocks

madj says:

Hi. Loving your work. I’ve blogged about your bento box tutorial on my blog here: http://craftedmadness.blogspot.com/2009/07/lovely-quilt-block-tutorial.html
    For dome reason, couldn’t leave commnet in that post, though I’m subscribed and everything. Anyway, you are a fine quilter and look forward to exploring your makes.

staci says:

I really like the Munki-Munki blocks so far. The green one is my favorite – I love the print with the little red tulips! I am leaning towards “yes” to sashing. I think it makes each block stand out as individual little pieces of art.

Whitney says:

Those munki munki blocks are fantastic (especially that blue one)! I still opt for no sashing (I think…how helpful am I?). Just added your etsy shop to favorites…

Your munki munki blocks are so sweet — soft and delicate, but look outstanding!

Congratulations on joining the board of Sew, Mama, Sew! I’m sure you will be a wonderful addition! Nice bio =)

Sara says:

You totally scored on the block party! Can’t wait to see how it all turns out!

And I’d take rain any day over 100 degrees. :P

Meg McCarthy says:

This is my first comment, although I’ve been reading your blog for some time! I love the munki munki blocks, and I think you should still think about making that queen-sized quilt! I think it would be worth the effort; the blocks are gorgeous. Maybe sashing would help you achieve the size without having to piece so many blocks.

Alissa says:

Oh your Block Party quilt is lookin’ so good! Speaking of – did you get my email about all that?? Exciting! And yay about SMS – it’s fun to be involved with them!

Kyla says:

rain…what a surprise..ahaha. I love the munki munki squares. My favorite is the green one. The block quilt. great colors.

erin vega says:

i think that i would do sashing…but maybe edge the blocks in a little white, and then sash with a solid color that coordinates? to make the blocks pop out..

Ruth says:

I love the munki munki blocks! What is the red tulip fabric in the green block?

Audrie says:

Your munki munki blocks are gorgeous!!! I especially love the green one :) I’d do sashing, I think.

natalie says:

ok. ive never made a quilt before but i am crazy in love with yours. i want to make one but im wondering. maybe this is obvious to everybody, but what makes them crinkly? do you prewashed fabrics? is it free motion quilting? ive seen quilts that aren’t and i definitely want to make one that is. info please.

Cristin says:

Great Block Party Blocks so far! They’re all so unique – but lovely! I’d say…. white sashing. I’m just unoriginal like that ;-)
    And Congrats on the Board of Sew Mama Sew! How exciting!

Valerie says:

I’d probably sash the munki munki blocks, to give them a sort of ‘art in a gallery’ feel (since they’re precious bits of special fabric)

Will you be offering international shipping in your store?

Kristy says:

What an awesome bee you’re in! They did an amazing job on your drunk love blocks. Can’t wait to see the finished top. As far as your Munki Munki quilt- do sashing! And maybe you won’t have to rethink the queen size =)

I would totally sash…but that’s how I roll.

andi says:

Sashing or no sashing? Either way it will still be stunning!!
    (Not to helpful I’m afraid).
    Andi :-)

Needled Mom says:

I think I would sash the blocks too as I think that each one will stand out more.

Love the swap blocks!

Ching Wu says:

I love your Sprinkling of far far away half hexagons quilt.
    But I just can not afford it. Would you consider write and sell the pattern for that quilt.
    Thank you.
    I LOVE all of your work.

jaybird says:

i saw no sashing… and the blocks look great!!

stacey says:

I love the munki fabrics – they are such prizes! I love the idea of sahing, to set each special block off. And yay rain = quilting!;)

Karen says:

LOVE the munki blocks!! I’m pro-sashing – especially because you are so creative in the way you use the sashing. Maybe you could off-set the blocks and sash with different widths and lengths reminiscent of the blocks themselves?

Your blog always inspires me. I really love your abstract quilts.

Congrats on being named to the Sew Mama Sew board!

Jolie says:

Love love loving your block party and munki munki blocks (I vote for no sashing). And hooray for SMS!

Nicky says:

Oh! They are so pretty! I love the green and white one with a bit of red. Lovely!

Tex Montana says:

Don’t give up on the idea of a queen sized quilt!!

julie says:

okay, i mean, i love them all but i LOVE that orange block. everything about the composition, the arrangement, the color combinations is PERFECT.

wendy says:

I vote yes to sashing. The point of the quilt is to showcase the munki and sashing sets off each block into a frame.

amandajean says:

i think i would try without sashing. (shocking, isn’t it? i do love white sashing, but somehow i think these would look great without.) the blocks are just lovely!

30. Pingback: Block a Day «

I’m just a beginner quilter. Learned from my Mom. But I hope one day to be able to sew quilts like yours, they’re sophisticated and the color palettes are very pleasing to the senses. Please keep posting more photos of your beautiful work!

32. Pingback: FITF: busy quilting! | Film in the Fridge