in which one quilt becomes four…

quilts-on-a-line2

So this is perhaps a sad story (well, sad for me, anyway), but with a happy ending, so all is well…

I started this quilt to use up some scraps. The inspiration was the back strip of scraps on the abstract quilt. I decided I’d like an entire quilt with strips of scraps alternating with white. I cut a ton of scraps and got it all sewn together…

strips-of-scraps

And here’s where the sorta sad part came in… everything looked good until I went to square the top up. No matter how I tried, it never appeared to be straight and square. I kept trimming the sides, and it still looked crooked (and not in a good, wonky kind of way!). Even when it measured correctly, it was definitely still off. Perhaps it was just an optical illusion, but whatever it was, I just couldn’t go ahead with it. And I don’t even generally have a problem with things being perfectly straight! (imagine what my brother (or anyone else with OCD tendencies) would think!)

So instead I chopped it into four pieces. And while I’m sad that it won’t be a quilt I’ll be able to use, it does make for four very cute baby quilts. Perhaps the perfect stroller quilt? (or maybe even a nice wall hanging!)

quiltson-fence

Cute, cute, cute (and cute!)

quilts-fence2

Each quilt measures about 25″ x 35″ and each one has a variety of all of my very favorite fabrics (lots of flea market fancy in there!). They’re each backed with a different fun printed fabric with a coordinating binding.

quilt-backs

I stippled two of them, and I quilted the other two with random straight and curved lines.

quilts-fence

For sale here! Sold – thanks everyone!

This entry was posted in 2009 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Wonky/Improv Quilts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to in which one quilt becomes four…

Helen says:

I wonder if you really ever use up all your scraps. I make scraps quilts too but I swear they have a way of multiplying while I sleep. You make wonderful quilts!

Alexis says:

I found your blog about a week ago..and subscribed immediately and still visit like every day just to look at your other quilts! They are all so beautiful…but how do you find so much time for quilting? seems like you do at least one quilt a day!!!! And another thing..it may be silly but I’m still so new to quilting and I can’t figure out how you managed to do that abstract quilt…did you do strips?? I would get that if all the scraps were running in one direction but they’re going vertical and horizontal! I’m so confused :) I would love to try it…but I don’t know where to start!!

Martha says:

I love the way they look hanging on the fence. It’s a good thing you were able to salvage them, and so well!

Alissa says:

They are all so great! And congrats on committing to selling some quilts! Yay! A bit of your fabric costs offset!

DianeF says:

OK, my OCD is comming out here, but I really like these better as small quilts. My eye didn’t want to rest in the larger top. I do want to mention how much I enjoy your blog. Thanks for the great posts.

Jane Swanson says:

I LOVE the four little quilts. Really Love Them!
    The one with the blue back is my favorite!
    And the way you photographed them is perfect.

Brenda says:

I love the 4 little quilts and I love your quilting style. I have been looking at your blog for about a week now and feel so inspired. Most of my quilts have been made with traditional patterns. I’m thinking out of the box for my next quilt. Thank you so much for the inspiration.

RosaMaría says:

they are so amazing!!! where do you find time to do all this beautiful quilts???

Asiyah says:

Bummer. That’s the reason I just eyeball my quilts for squareness. But they are super cute. Good job!

Audrie says:

Sometimes things happen for a reason… and regardless of your intention, the final products are so lovely! :D I was planning to use up my scraps for a scrappy quilt that’ll live on the couch hehe

Cristin says:

Aw… how frustrating when all your efforts still don’t turn out exactly right! But oh well – you made freakin’ yummy lemonade out of a lemon! GORGEOUS baby quilts… I love them tons!

Sara says:

4 times the love! They’re adorable.

nanann says:

I just wanted to say that my least favorite part of quilt-making is squaring them up. I HATE it. I get so frustrated when I have to start cutting into the quilt to make it all nice and even. Especially hate it after quilting, when it was perfect after piecing. *sigh*

But you did great things with your frustration – YAY!

alex says:

They make really adorable baby quilts! This is a nice variation on a stacked coins quilt, and the white between the colored fabrics really makes each one stand out.

Katie B says:

A happy accident, I’d say!

Kris says:

These look great! What kind of batting did you use, if any? The way the sun shines through, they look like they’d be great for summer!

angie says:

Very cute quilts. I’m not very good at the square thing, but it doesn’t bother me too much. :) I probably would have just made a crooked big quilt.

Laura says:

I think I almost agree with some of the above posters, I really really like how they look in the smaller size. Beautiful!

Amy says:

Still digging your new machine? And has the sun finally come out up there? Great stuff Ashley!

Penny G says:

There is always a plan whether it is the one we started with or the one we finish with. The four smaller quilts are beautiful and special and wonderfully sized for babies. It was great that you could see a different path and take it.

allison says:

These littlies look so cute! You did a great job and now four little things are going to benefit from these beautiful pieces of art! Well done on making lemonade out of lemons (A beautiful lemon!)

Needledmom says:

As you say…cute, cute, cute and cute!!!

anina says:

I’m sorry the big quilt didn’t work out. These little ones are lovely offspring though.

Casey says:

I love them!! they look so great! sorry that your bigger quilt didn’t work out the way you wanted though

heather says:

That is sad that you had to cut up the big quilt but it sure did make 4 VERY CUTE small quilts!!! I love how you photograph your quilts!!

kate says:

Ok, I just want to know one thing. When do you SLEEP, woman?? You churn out these gorgeous quilts with more regularity than I manage to take a shower. I bow down to you and your amazing skills.

lisapeaceandlove says:

I think that is the BEST use of scraps I’ve ever seen!

This is an absolutely happy ending. These fours are super duper cute. Love all of them (as usual ha ha ha)

Angelia says:

Kudos to ya for making the best out of a situation! Sounds like a perfect happy accident X 4 to me!

Kyla says:

it’s too bad the larger quilt didn’t work out but it makes for 4 ADORABLE baby quilts…..hahah i don’t know if your brother would approve of the OCD comment hahah

Raphiel says:

Oh to be creative. What the heck, 1 to 4, who’d a thought! Smarty, looks great.
    I did have that happen and no matter that I did it wonked to the right… in a nice even sweep. Lovely if that was the plan but it was not! Sooo it turned into a sweeping funky duvet cover for the “sleep over ( blow up) bed” in our son’s room. Our first little house guest liked it, all was well.

raphiel says:

Oh and I forgot to tell you again… you inspire me!

stacey says:

What a great idea! Your imagination really worked! All 4 are fabulous!

jaybird says:

nice alternative plan!! i love the pic of them hanging together cause its like they all have friends!!

Very innovative! It’s easy (for me, at least) to get so discouraged when things don’t work out perfectly or the way I want them to, that I just want to give up. Sometimes, when we push pasts that, we come up with something even more original, more beautiful….

abbie says:

I love them as baby quilts – they are so cute and adorable! I wish I could get my hands on one of them!

Kelley says:

those are such cute quilts….so sorry about the original :( hate it when things like that happen. I love your blog! You are so creative and your quilts are amazing.

Leigh says:

I REALLY love it! I think this may be what I need to do with my FMF stash! So great!

Paty Z. says:

Hello Ashley:
    I´ve been reading your blog for a couple of months ago and it´s awesome!. It´s incredible that everyday I open your blog and I find a new quilt! I am making one and it has taken me ages to finish it. What do you do with all your quilts? Keep going! You have inspired me with lots of great ideas.

jacquie says:

hmmmm….i wonder if it was just an optical illusion…weird, huh..oh well….i think you came up with a great solution.

Kathy says:

Wow, I don’t know when you started this project but you seem to work really fast. These are great quilts, large or small; I may have to try one myself. Thanks for sharing. ;o)

Absolutely beautiful!!!
    My OCD tendencies mean that i wouldn’t have even been able to make a random scrap quilt in the first place Haha.
    Even if i ever do a wonky block it’s measured with military precision. Maybe one day.

You are right, some babies are going to be very happy with these quilts but I do understand your frustration not getting it straight!

Nan says:

Wow, I can’t stop admiring your quilts. I found your site while looking thru. Flickr. Where do you find the time to make all these beautiful quilts?

Shannon says:

So sweet. I absolutely love them and what a perfect way to use up your scraps.

wendy says:

That’s really neat, I would never have thought to cut it up!

Hey, i’m having a contest/giveaway on my site today. Come check it out!

amandajean says:

they make beautiful quilts…big or small. :)

beth shibley says:

i had the same problem with one of my recent quilts….couldn’t get it square or rectangled-(is that a word?). i think in my case i didn’t measure enough. but it was for my husband, and he sure won’t notice…so don’t tell him. :)