the back that inspired the front…

I was trying to come up with something fun for the back of quilt #2 (which may now be called ‘second time around’, thanks to an idea from a commenter from the other day). I wanted something that used some of the same fabrics from the front, but I didn’t want it to take away from the blocks. I was so pleased with myself when I came up with this…

back

There’s something about it I just really love… maybe it’s the fabrics, or maybe it’s the random and abstract look, or maybe it’s all the white. I’m not sure, but I do know that immediately after making this backing I wanted it to be the front of another quilt. And that’s how this one started –

front1

(wouldn’t you know that the sun went behind a cloud as soon as we went out to take a photo!)

So this is the start of the front of my next quilt. Originally I was going to orient it the same way, but then after adding a few rows, I looked at it from the other side and decided that I might just like it better in this direction, changing the rows into columns instead…  it still could go either way though, so if anyone has an opinion, don’t hesitate to share!

Thanks for all the nice comments on the modified bento box quilt block tutorial! I used random.org and Jessica Brown came up as the winner of the quartered blocks! Thanks everyone!

This entry was posted in Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to the back that inspired the front…

Jackie says:

Great choice for the backing!

Jane Swanson says:

So creative! I love the random shapes as well. What kind of fabric are you using for the white?

Very cute! I like the simplicity of it. I love all the white you use in your quilts. (Also thinking I may have to try out the modified bento box sometime!)

Cristin says:

Very fun and free-spirited! Can’t wait to see what it will be bound with! :-)

anina says:

Lovely! Don’t you just love unexpected loveliness?

Carolyn cdn says:

What a fantastic idea, so simple and yet it has quite an impact! Excellent choice.

Sara says:

That is a fun quilt! Love the backing and can’t wait to see how the second one turns out!

Sandra says:

Awesome! The colour choice with all that white. Very fresh. Love it!

Chantry says:

This is beyond wonderful! I love how modern it is!

Alissa says:

Amazing – as usual!! You can do no wrong in my opinion!

kyla says:

Love the randomness of the pattern. Great color choices! great start to the next quilt. The pattern looks good either way. :)

Laurie Taylor says:

I just came across your blog and am in LOVE with your beautiful artwork! I’m a fairly new quilter and wondering how you go about your quilt backs. Do you have a plan to begin with or do you just create as you go? Rusty.

Shawnee says:

Fantastic idea… very inspiring! I love them both!

Tiffany says:

I’m not sure if it’s the orientation, or just the colors, but I LOVE the first one! I saw that and my jaw dropped just a little! I also love white in a quilt, but combined with these colors and shapes–fabulous!

Just think of the 2nd quilt as a double sided!

andi says:

Stunning …. back and front.
    Andi :-)

Kate says:

The whiteness and colour blocks give it a real contemporary and modern feel. Beautiful.

Chris says:

I love them! I esp like the blue flower block. What white fabric do you use? Bleached muslin?

jaybird says:

i love the simplicity!! nice job!

Peg says:

Gorgeous. So clean and crisp. Great way to highlight those fabrics.

Loving the back that inspired the front. So fresh and modern looking. I agree — the white is very nice!

Patty says:

Love the back and the new front. Don’t you just love it when an idea just pops?

katie says:

I love this one too. it is very inspiring.

jo says:

You’re a quilting machine! I love everything you make. Don’t you sleep? You just keep churning them out. I havent even had time to LOOK at my machine the last week :( I can’t wait to see your next project!

jacquie says:

dang…you are on a roll…totally fabulous! i can see why this inspired your new quilt.

Kristy says:

Just beautiful! I love the clean, sharp look of the white. Speaking of which, I want to incorporate a lot of white into my Bento Box quilt. I ended up buying Kona cotton from the Hancock’s in town. However, I wanted to ask you to see what white fabric you use? It’s always looks so brilliantly beautiful.

Lauren says:

I LOVE your quilts (and your blog!) and this one is just beautiful! Can’t wait for the finished product. Thanks for sharing!

Katherine says:

What a wonderful way to showcase fabrics. Sometimes quilts are so busy that the fabrics compete with one another, but yours let them interact with one another while holding their own at the same time.

cynthia says:

you know i’ve been seeing all these cute ‘backs’ of quilts and i too have thinking, that should be the front of a modern/minimalist quilt! i love it!

I absolutely LOVE these designs. They remind me of Piet Mondrian’s paintings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piet_Mondrian). I can’t wait to see if these spawn some more! Now to just get cracken’ on my Old Red Barn Quilt-a-long quilt, hmmmm.

amandajean says:

these are both so much fun! i have a quilt (the old red barn quilt along quilt) that i need to baste, but i’m stuck on what kind of backing to make. i love what you’ve done here!

33. Pingback: second time around - Film In The Fridge