a hit and a miss

So far summer’s not been good for my sewing… between the nice weather and my real job, I’m not feeling like sitting inside in front of the sewing machine when I have free time! And I hate to hope for rainy days – we’ve already had too many of them. I suppose it just means that things will get completed at a slower pace…

I did finally get around to making the back for the modified bento box quilt (still no tutorial – sorry!). Hoping I’ll find some time this weekend to get it quilted.

bento-back

I also started what I had hoped would be a quick project… a simple little summer dress using this great new Echino double gauze fabric. No luck.

I considered using the Socialite pattern again, but then thought maybe I should try out a different pattern. I should have known better. I don’t like patterns to begin with, so it’s probably a good idea to stick to those I’ve already tried and know I can follow! I don’t know exactly which pattern this is, but I can tell you I’m not a fan.

The back is ok, although pretty shapeless…

echino-dress

but the front leaves a bit to be desired (I don’t even want to show you!) and the view from the side – wow! not flattering. Not even a teeny tiny bit! I give it a thumbs down

echino-dress2

(it was actually two thumbs down, but only one got pictured!) I’m going to try to make something wearable out of it – hopefully I have enough fabric left to make something a bit more flattering – a skirt, perhaps?

This entry was posted in Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to a hit and a miss

Sarah says:

The fabric is beautiful. I have had experiances with things like that and I usually have to put the project away for a little while and come back with a clear head to figure out what to make out of it. I am sure you will come up with something stellar. It would be a cute top I think.. or a skirt ;-)

Nikki says:

Well, i think it’s cute! :) could you add a belt? or cut it shorter into a shirt? or cut it up and make a quilt with the fabric?? ;)

Rose says:

I agree – try to belt it or make it into a tunic. The fabric is wonderful. And I love seeing all your completed and in-progress projects!

Jeanelle says:

I love this fabric and really I do like the dress but it’s all how you feel and if you are not loving you are not loving it. Why is this fabric so expensive compared with Heather Ross’s other collections?

Cristin says:

Aw, its not horrible! Maybe add ties so you can cinch it in the back to add some shape? Its gorgeous – I don’t care what you say :-) hehe

Kat says:

I would definitely try to belt it. It could be really cute then!

I also love the fabric. Sometimes it just doesn’t work for us. I have a lot of “thumbs down” projects lying around these days.

Juliana says:

I agree with niki, you should try belting it and see what happens, maybe add some shirring to the waist line? that would give you some shaping and make it more of bloused bodice. I think the color looks good on you though!

Bobbi says:

Love the fabric color, but I will agree with you. The dress is NOT flattering. If it were cut closer to the body, it would show your shape better. And be a cute dress!

Maybe the fabric choice is wrong? I actually own a dress similar to this style, in a heavier black knit. Its fairly formfitting, but the knit gives in places it needs to give.

Alissa says:

I agree with the belting/cinching ideas! But otherwise – it could be turned into separates! A flowy top – and a cute skirt! Love the quilt back by they way!

Heather says:

can you turn it around and make the back the front??? I do that sometimes???

LeeAnn says:

My best friend always says a belt fixes everything. Maybe her advise will ring true again? I have to be very critical with any pattern I choose. Any dress has to have breast dart and back darts for me to even consider. Otherwise I have another nighty. The color in that fabric is gorgeous! I hope you can salvage it!

jodi says:

Hey Ashley, could you email me? Long story. ;o) ooxx`jodi

Sarah says:

Girlfriend! That thing needs a belt! It will be super cute with one! Make a linen belt or something and it will be automatically transformed! I think it could be SUPER cute!

Valerie says:

It’s a great fabric, maybe you can try to fix the dress with a few nips and tucks before abandonning it completely?

amandajean says:

the backing for your quilt is perfect!!!

Erin says:

Yeah, try a belt. It just looks like it need accessorizing.

Maranda says:

I think that it would look great with a belt:)

mjb says:

I have to keep reminding myself that just because a pattern is easy to sew does not mean that it is flattering to wear, and thus will be worth my time and use of fabric. It would be so much nicer if the two would always overlap though1

Kate says:

The fabric is so gorgeous and it looks fine in the photos..have you tried a belt with the dress??? It may give it some shape. Love the lion…ROAR!!!

Jenn says:

It’s cute! I’m with the other posters who say try a belt.

Jen says:

How about some darts in the back? They might help the front as well. If not, you can add them in the front as well.

Alissa says:

Love the fabric! I have never had any success with sewing clothes for myself, so I stopped! I do love the lion!

kaite says:

can’t wait to see what you come up with. i have not sewn for over two weeks. i have been knitting outside instead. so nice to see the sun today!

Anita says:

You could totally cut the top off and make the cutest skirt ever out of the rest! I hate it when patterns don’t work out. Especially when the fabric is adorable!

Jody says:

QUESTION: Hi Ashley, I just have a quick question. I love your pieced backs and notice that they are often different solid colours. When you are quilting do you use a different thread colour for the front and back? I often read how others tend to use the same colour and that your bobbin thread might show up? thanks!! jodym7@yahoo.com

Lacy says:

Is this one of Amy Butler’s patterns? I just got one of her patterns to make a dress and don’t want to waist my time if it’s not going to be flattering!?!?! Let me know if you could. Thanks! :)

Jeanette says:

How about some rows of elastic smocking? Or darts? I think it looks too cute to abandon.

Nancy says:

A similar thing happened to me in a dress pattern I just sewed up. The dress was too full and unflattering. To ‘save’ it I added a casing inside the dress for 1/4 in. elastic. I placed it a few inches below the bust. Now the dress has shape and is attractive on. That might do the trick for your dress. The fabric is beautiful.

30. Pingback: Modern Quilts - Etsuko dress, take 2 – Film In The Fridge

Dempsey says:

I love that fabric I just wish it wasn’t so expensive! The unflattering/didn’t turn out right happened to me too.