another weekend sewing project

The weekend away travel bag (from Heather Ross’ Weekend Sewing)… sometimes it’s nice to do a small, quick project! Lately I haven’t been doing much sewing – either I’m having quilter’s block (is there such a thing?), or it’s simply the start of summer…

In any case, I’ve had a fear of zippers, so I thought I’d try out this pattern to see if I could get over it. I’m pleased to say that it was surprisingly easy — fun, even! I like that there are only 3 pattern pieces and it really does come together quickly and relatively easily.

I went for this great Etsuko print for the outside (love those pigs!), paired with the blue stripes from the new Lizzy House Red Letter Day line. I just now took a look at the Flickr pool for Heather’s book, and was so surprised to see someone else had made this exact same bag in the exact same fabrics! Must be a good fabric pairing!

travelbagtravelbag2

travelbag4travelbag3

This entry was posted in Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to another weekend sewing project

Melany says:

Oh my goodness! How cute is that little bag?! I really like it – and agree, it’s a great fabric pairing. I need to mark this and try it out for my next gift giving occasion. Thanks! ;)

Pamela Smith says:

I like your zipper better – it makes the pig stand out more! Beautiful bag and the lining is perfect for it.

willy-nilly says:

Hmmm…love the inside fabric, might have to check that out.

I’m hoping to try out your string quilt tutorial at our Seattle Quilting Bee. We’re all bringing our scraps, thought it would work perfectly!

Emily says:

This is fabulous! I love this book and was considering doing this project! Your fabric choice is great, too!

christine says:

cute bag, great fabric selection!

Nichole says:

cute! i have the supplies waiting to make this travel bag as well. it seems like it would be such a useful size!

Becca says:

This is a gorgeous bag, and you have a very good eye for color. Did you use oilcloth or fabric?

Just love it. Makes me want to sew one up this weekend too!

Martha says:

Ummm… You haven’t been sewing? You’ve done so much more these five months than some of us in a whole year. You make me laugh! The bag is soo darned cute. Love the pig.

Kim says:

Love it! I could take one off your hands if you need to make another . . . :)

Carrie says:

So cute! I love the fabric combo and that pig is to die for. Nice job!

jaybird says:

looks great… i have this book and i’ve been thinking about making this project!

Great bag. I don’t really enjoy zippers, but they aren’t the all bad we try to make them out to be. lol.

Janey says:

love the bag and aren’t zippers so much easier than you thought? I use to have the same fear and now it’s no biggie. I think I will be making one of those bags to put all the sunscreen in so it’s contained and won’t leak all over everything a perfect project for the laminated cotton I’ve been holding on to.

Kate says:

Lovely travel bag! You are probably experiencing a bit of both and given all the quilts you manage to complete it’s no wonder! I found that after I finsihed Mermaid Garden I needed a few quick projects to do…just to give me some time to re-group. I felt a little quilted out! Don’t worry, it won’t be long before you are back at the cutting board! I also would be very happy to take some of your scraps off your hands (as per your flickr shot). Let me know and enjoy your weekend!

Terri says:

This bag looks great! I bet you will use this all the time. I especially love the placement of that pig! Looks like you’ve mastered zippered bags too. Hope you’re enjoying summer!

Tory says:

Looks great! I’ve been thinking about making this bag. I’m wondering if you think the bag pattern would be easy to modify so that the seams on the inside were hidden?

aimee says:

It’s really lovely & looks professionally made. Great job!

Tex Montana says:

Thanks! I needed another project (not)! I love all your stuff ~ You are the wind beneath my sewing machine. Or something like that…

Tif says:

super cute!!!! i love your fabric choices! The blue on the inside is such a pleasant surprise :)

patty says:

That looks great! I love that fabric!

Mandy says:

that is just too cute! fabric is yummo!