Windmill Whimsy

Thank you all for the name suggestions for this latest quilt. They were all quite creative, and much better than anything I came up with! I think Windmill Whimsy is quite fitting, so many thanks go out to Jacquie at Tallgrass Prairie Studio.

The back of this quilt is mainly white again, but I sewed together one more of the colored blocks. I didn’t have enough fabrics with a purple hue to do a purple block on the front, so instead I used one purple fabric to create a block for the back.

And here’s the completed front and back:

I opted for dark gray for the binding. I think it goes nicely with all the colors on the front, as well as with the white and purple on the back.

This quilt measures about 43″ x 58″, which works as a good size for a throw for the couch. Without trying, this seems to be the size of each quilt I make… soon I’m going to have to break out of this trend and try something bigger! (it turns out that you can indeed have too many quilts for one couch!)

This entry was posted in 2008 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Other Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Windmill Whimsy

Alissa says:

Oh you’re so fast once you get a quilt started!! It’s beautiful. Love it. And the single block on the back?? perfect!

Tara says:

This quilt is adorable!! It’s so fun and clever!

Carrie says:

This is my favorite! So colorful, orderly and scrappy at the same time. I think that’s the perfect size for a lap quilt. Great job!

Marit says:

I love the quilt for the scrappy and colorful quality. And it has a fun design, too. Congratulations!

Kat says:

I love the back of this one! I never bother doing anything creative for the backing. I may have to change that and try something different next time!

Amber says:

It’s beautiful – the back and the front! And I love the quilting!

Kate says:

So impressive, Ash! Too many quilts, huh? Maybe you should start selling them! I had a dream the other night that you quit your job and started being crafty full-time! We were also wedding dress shopping together! It was quite hilarious because in the middle of trying on dresses, there was a fire alarm and next thing I knew, we were at my school helping the kiddos get out of the building for the fire drill! Miss ya!

jacquie says:

it’s a great name for a great quilt! windmill whimsy!

Just beautiful… and no… you can never have too many throws for your couch!! Just wish I was as quick as you are in getting things finished!! Lx

Sandi says:

I showed a friend this quilt and she’s decided to make it. I wrote up instructions for her, and I was wondering if you’d mind if I posted the instructions on my blog, linking to your blog, of course.

Diane says:

Just discovered your blog – someone recommended your market bag tutorial. I’m glad I stopped by, I just LOVE your quilts. The newest one is quite stunning. I’d love to try something like that myself, but I’m a bit terrified of triangles… Anyway, thank you for sharing your beautiful work!

Katie says:

It’s so gorgeous. love it!

15. Pingback: Criss Cross aka Windmill Whimsy aka Mosaic #10 « Piecemeal Quilts

16. Pingback: wonderment » Blog Archive » Crafty Bookmarks for today

Amelia says:

Gorgeous! I might have to try this one myself.

Betsy Williams says:

Wow….have just found your blog….a quick question: what is the size of the WindmillWhimsy block and do we have permission to use it. I have lots of scraps that would make these block and would love to try this. Thanks. Keep up the beautiful, creative work. Grandma Betsy.

Stephanie Krajicek says:

I love your work. It’s a nice compromise between traditional blocks and modern fabric. May I use your image in a podcast assignment that I have to do for a grad class? (I have to put together an instructional podcast. I chose quilting because then I could do something fun for credit!!) I would appreciate it!

SK