solids, sans gingham…

solidhst3

I feel like I say this often, but here it is again – this is another quilt that I didn’t actually set out to make. I have a number of quilts to finish, and a list of quilts I want to make, but sometimes I feel the pull of something that’s not even on the list.

solidsgingham

Such is the case here. After purchasing a bundle of Cotton + Steel’s new ginghams, I pulled out a bunch of coordinating solids – I made a few half square triangles with the ginghams and solids and wasn’t really loving it. I was into those solids though, so decided to move ahead with some hsts out of solids. I added in a few additional fall-like colors and, inspired by a quilt from Bold Expressions, started making and trimming hsts.

solidhst2

The quilt I’m inspired by is made up of hsts with similar squares grouped together. It also uses hsts in varying sizes, so they don’t always line up. I love that look, but after making blocks in a variety of sizes and trying to fit them together, I found that I preferred keeping my blocks all one size.

solidhst

I couldn’t let the smaller blocks go to waste though, so I’ve added in a section along the bottom and a strip along one side with the smaller blocks.

solidhst4

Those two gingham blocks? A little nod to the original inspiration!

This entry was posted in [search] HST Quilts, Fabric, Posts about Quilts, Quilts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to solids, sans gingham…

Erin says:

it’s beautiful, ashley! i love the colors and can see why you were so attracted to them.

Marion says:

what a great combination ! Love it and is just what I needed for my birthday gift – the box of fatquarters from Denyse Schmidt by Free Spirits

Ann says:

This is gorgeous. Follow inspiration where it leads!

Christine Hart says:

Cute little photobomber!!

Betty K says:

You have a way of putting your blocks together so wonderfully!!!

Ruth says:

What a great and fun way to incorporate gingham into a quilt!

janequiltsslowly says:

Love this quilt! I think it’s good to just follow inspiration when it strikes.

Rosemary Bolton says:

I love this quilt. It is super perky. Life is short and busy, you need to do what is important and make it!!

netta says:

I can totally relate to the pile of quilts in progress and getting excited and inspired by something new that you just need to do now. This quilt come out awesome. I love the varying sizes of hst’s, lots more planning to fit them together.

Linda says:

Hi Ashley,

I haven’t commented in a long time, but I’ve been following right along. The quilt is terrific, as are all of your quilts! I agree with having all of the blocks the same size. Having to fiddle around and make them all fit would drive me crazy. I haven’t been able to do much sewing for awhile. My hip is falling apart and using the foot pedal just kills me. I have a bunch in line to be put together, and, of course, keep buying fabric and patterns to make more! Since I’ll turn 70 in about 3 weeks, I have enough stash to last until my youngest great-granddaughter is old enough to quilt.

The kids just keep getting more and more beautiful. Max has completely lost his “baby” look and is looking more like a man every time I see him…..sigh. Hazel and Henry are tight on his heels, too, aren’t they!?!? Thank you so much for keeping us updated on them <3

Linda

Kaholly says:

I l-o-v-e this quilt! Making one is ‘on my list’!