quilts for a kitchen?

patchworkquilts

Why hello! The summer already seems to have gotten away from me, though it’s only just started. I always think I’m going to get lots of sewing done when the weather turns nice, but as usual we find ourselves outside instead. This year I’m also not feeling very creative, so I can’t seem to get excited about any project.

patchworkquilts3

We’re in the midst of planning for a kitchen renovation, which is exciting and not, all at the same time. I’m thrilled to be finally doing away with the bathroom that’s in the middle of the kitchen and a renovation done by the previous owners that’s completely not my taste. I’m scared about the mess and how long we’ll be without a kitchen! Oh, and did I mention the cost? Um, yeah. Kitchen renovations … not cheap.

patchworkquilts4

Morgan told me one evening that he thought I should make and sell two hundred and some odd baby quilts to pay for the renovation (ha!). I laughed at the thought, but then decided I could make up a few, since I wasn’t feeling inspired by anything else at the moment. I always love patchwork quilts, especially these pairing lovely Liberty of London fabrics with other prints and solids. And while simple, I find they help me start to feel creative again. I love the act of picking fabrics and seeing what colors and prints look good together, and it usually inspires a whole new project.

patchworkquilt6

I cut and sewed and cut and sewed and made up these five baby quilt tops. I love seeing a series of any one thing, but I know for sure that I’m not cut out for making the same thing over and over! Sorry Morgan, it doesn’t look like I’ll get anywhere close to 200 – I think I’m sticking at these 5. (Hopefully they’ll be finished and for sale soon!)

patchworkquilts2

This entry was posted in baby, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to quilts for a kitchen?

Penny G says:

I love 2 and 5 numbering from left to right. You can’t get 195 more done by tomorrow? The problem is that some people think that you should be able to do it and maintain a real life. I am not casting aspersions at Morgan because he seems much too kind to be that delusional, rather the friends and relatives that call a week before a baby is due and want a quilt or the ones going to visit a newborn in the afternoon and want a custom quilt to take with them. Good luck on your beautiful and well worth it remodel.

diane says:

I know your feelings…on so many levels…we just finished kitchen renovation in January. What was predicted to take 5 weeks took 11. And yes the cost…woo wee. Our kids are gone from home, you doing it with 3 will be a challenge. The end result is great tho’! šŸ™‚ Have you decided on flooring? That was probably our biggest stress…we went with hardwood, it is lovely, BUT not sure we would do that again.

Pat S says:

I think I kind of love #2 and #4 left to right, but they are all lovely. There is something about the idea of just putting together all those squares of different fabric that I find very intimidating. I love the results but have never had the nerve to just jump in and do one of my own. Good luck with your kitchen. I’m sure you will love the results. Meanwhile, pizza is your friend. šŸ˜€

Lisa says:

What’s cool is that the thumbnail image makes them look like squares of glass mosaic tile! How apropos!

Laura says:

Good luck on the reno! My husband and I did our small kitchen by ourselves (IKEA cabinets, so we even had to build it all!) and it was hard work. We still have a few trim pieces to finish as well. But there were some fun parts – and our 3 year old even got to “help” by doing some painting on parts of the wall that would be covered and he even helped assemble some of the drawers! It’s stressful in the moment but will totally be worth it in the end.

Kris P says:

Trust me, you can survive a kitchen remodel. My husband took on ours entirely. Including building the most beautiful cherry cabinet which he began in April of 2014 by purchasing rough cut cherry lumber. We started tearing down the upper cabinets in October of 2014, took out the lower cabinets, sink and stove January 2106, had granite counter tops installed and restored the water supply and installed the sink in June 2015, and finally rerouted the gas line for the stove the last week of August 2015. Did I mention that my husband is not a cabinet maker, dry wall installer, or carpenter. This was all accomplished while he worked a full time job, we maintained family commitments and otherwise lived our lives.

Plan to use disposable whenever possible during the renovation. Set up a makeshift kitchen in your family room or den. We had a bar area in our basement where we ate, and did whatever dishes we produced in the laundry room. You’ll find wonderful uses for your crock pot, waffle iron and sandwich maker. Use your outdoor grill whenever possible. Don’t feel bad about takeout and drive through pizza when necessary. We took on an ‘Eat to Live’ mentality during those long months. When we were done, it didn’t take long for us to decide we would definitely do it again… in our next home.

Cynthia Craig says:

oh i so would love to buy the 4th from the left. seriously.

Christine Hart says:

Totally worth $200.00 each.

Dee says:

As someone who currently has the whole back of her house removed and no kitchen…I can relate! Its a challenge to create meals each day for the family based on a microwave and a toaster in the lounge! So far the kids are enjoying the adventure (me, not quite so much!) I know it will all be worth it one day…

Carla says:

They will likely be sold before they are finished. Good luck with the renos. Worth the effort I think

Cindy says:

These are all so beautiful!! I’m with you though on not cut out doing the same thing over and over! I’d say you did great doing these 5!! Yayy!!:) Good luck with your reno!!

Tamara says:

Too funny that they look like mosaic tiles that are often used on the backsplash in the kitchen! But they are all lovely – not sure I can pick a favorite. šŸ™‚ And I’m with you in that I’m absolutely terrible about making multiples of things. Boredom sets in far too quickly.

Pamela Meyer says:

Such pretty fabric I’d not seen it before but I do love it!