diamond panes in Carkai

diamond-panes

Today I have another quilt to show you that was inspired by the Farm Barn at Shelburne Farms. I’ve always loved the details on the barn, and while snapping an inspiration photo for my post for the Quilt Local blog tour, I took a few of this section of the barn.

photo-2

I was intrigued by these diamonds on either side of the windows – I like how they’re slightly curved, and I loved the thought of being able to show off fabrics in that diamond section.

photo 2-2
(a selection of the prints that will be available at Nido when the line is available)

I was hanging onto this idea until I found the right fabric, and surprisingly enough, the right fabric came around sooner than I expected. A friend snagged a bundle of Carolyn Friedlander’s upcoming Carkai fabric for Robert Kaufman. She brought it over one day and I couldn’t stop exclaiming over it. So much so, perhaps, that she felt she ought to leave it with me. I pretended to protest, but really I was already thinking about this quilt idea.

diamondpanes2

I separated the low volume prints from the brighter prints and drew up a template for my curved diamond. I don’t sew curves too often, and I can’t say I have any experience drawing up my own template, so it’s certainly not perfect, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that my blocks actually looked as I was hoping. I had to adjust the template a few times, and it’s still not right (you can see that the diamond sides don’t always line up as I’d like), but having already cut out all the pieces, I had to go with it and be ok with the non-matching points.

I’m excited about the design though, and I think I’ll spend some more time working on the templates to get those curves to work out better.

[you could achieve a similar look using a drunkards path block, but since I wanted my center diamond to be one solid fabric (not pieced) and to have a less curvy shape, I decided to draft my own]

diamondpanes3

Oh, and Carkai? Having sewn with it, I find myself wanting a whole bunch more. Carolyn’s work is superb, and I think the colors in this line are my favorite of her lines so far. I’m so happy that we won’t have to wait all that long for it to be available – December is right around the corner!

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts, Quilt Blocks and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to diamond panes in Carkai

Patricia Cash says:

Beautiful quilt and love the colors. Seeing a quilt from the barn windows is awesome.

Pat S says:

This is great. At first I only saw the diamonds and then the secondary serpentine pattern popped out at me. I love it!

Laura says:

The diamond shapes are so neat. Nice interpretation.

I’m also intrigued by the rest of the design on the inspiration photo. The squiggly lines outside of the diamonds are pretty cool looking.

Debbie says:

oh yeah! This is lovely! So great how you put your inspiration to fabric!

Janequiltsslowly says:

Saw this quilt in my Instagram feed this morning. I love this! I’ve been wanting to make a diamond quilt and really love the look of this one: fabrics, colors & scale. Can you say how tall & wide you made the diamonds? Thanks.

Ellyn Wood says:

That quilt is amazing! So many patterns to see in the layout it is dizzying! Keeping this one in the archives.

Ellyn Wood says:

Would love to see a tutorial on the layout – any chance?

anna says:

way way awesome Ashley!!!! Hope to see you again soon!!!

Lori says:

I love a pattern that at first glance is simple but then various other patterns emerge and this quilt definitely has that. That’s a difficult thing to do well and this one is excellent. Great job.

Camilla says:

What a great design! Lots of play for the eye with the shadow effect of the low volumes and those fantastic feature diamonds! I’m such a sucker for Carolyn’s fabrics…

Tonya A says:

All I can say is wow! I love this so much!! 🙂 one of my faves of yours so far! 🙂

Lori Smanski says:

your quilt is lovely. love the inspiration

Cyndy Knapp says:

What a wonderful quilt! I love the large diamond and I like that you kept the center as one piece. This is definitely my type of quilt. Great job!

Jan says:

A very nice quilt. How we each see figure-ground is so interesting. I have to really focus on the diamonds to see them: the wavy background takes over for me. That’s cool, too!

Jo Goldsmith says:

Great quilt pattern and I can see why you fell in love with the fabric line. Love it !!!. Hope a tutorial or pattern is in the future.

Ruth says:

Love how this looks – really like the ovals that appear and disappear with the background fabric curves.

Shasta says:

This is stunning! Gorgeous quilt. I have been drawn to diamond quilts lately.

19. Pingback: FITF: diamond panes – a finished quilt | Film in the Fridge