diamond panes – a finished quilt

diamondpanes

I was so excited about this quilt that I immediately made it a backing and quilted it. As you’ve seen, that hasn’t been happening often these days! I love (love!) Carolyn Friendlander’s newest line for Robert Kaufman, Carkai (available in December), and I’m quite pleased with how it looks in this design. I won’t lie, I’m also pleased that I was able to draw out my own templates for this design and have it (mostly) work. I really had a hard time cutting into this fabric with my hand drawn templates!

diamondpanes2

You can see my inspiration in the first photo above – those diamond panels on either side of the windows on this beautiful barn at Shelburne Farms. (I’m also loving those curved lines on the second panel – maybe that should become a quilt too?)

diamondpanesback

So as to not waste any of these great fabrics, I used the small curved pieces I had left over from cutting out the diamond shape for this pieced section on the back.

diamondpanesback2

I used a print from Carolyn’s Doe line for the remainder of the backing – these lines pair so well together!

diamondpanes3
(chicken photobomb!)

It’s quilted simply with straight lines — I’m sure it would look amazing to have a different type of quilting in the diamonds and something else in the low volume section to emphasize the secondary design, but I unfortunately don’t have time for that these days, so simple it is. Luckily I really like simple quilting, so this works for me. I think these lines are 3/4″ apart and give great texture but still keep the quilt nice and soft.

diamondpanes1

I asked the kids who this quilt should be for and they immediately said ‘bump bump’ (as baby #3 is known) and I think that’s a good call. I know I’ll enjoy seeing this one on the floor as a play mat!

This entry was posted in [search] Other Quilts, baby, Fabric, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to diamond panes – a finished quilt

Patricia Cash says:

Beautiful quilt and the back is great.

erin says:

I love this one, Ashley! It’s gorgeous!

Catherine H says:

Love the chicken photo boom.

I noticed the inspiration even before I read the text. Very cool!

Sherry VF says:

Lovely quilt! I can’t believe how the building in the background echoes the same pattern as the quilt blocks.

Teje says:

This is my favourite quilt now! Your idea with this unique shape was great and the fabrics are beautiful! I’m thinking to make a wall quilt in winter and would love to use your idea. Thank you for inspiration! x Teje

Pat S says:

This is so pretty and I love the back, too.

Cindy says:

I have long admired your talent. This quilt is beautiful! Any chance you’ll share your template?

Congrats on baby #3. The simple quilting looks great. Sure you could have done all the different things but wouldn’t be able to enjoy as quickly. You may still be quilting instead of sharing.

Debbie says:

This is lovely! And yes, congrats on baby!

Marla Varner says:

Love the way both sides look! Great pattern with lovely fabrics is a winning combination.

Camilla says:

This is a new favourite for me of your many beautiful quilts. Well done on those diamonds-a great way to showcase Carolyn’s stunning fabrics!

Diana says:

Love your quilt, and love the gorgeous new fabrics from Carolyn Friedlander…the back it ingenious, great way to use up scraps. You are a very talented lady! Congrats on baby #3!

So beautiful! Your pattern works so well with the gorgeous fabric!

Kaholly says:

Gorgeous! You are such an inspiration!

Aileen says:

oh wow, I love this quilt. The pattern is beautiful. I also love the panel in the back. Really lovely quilt!

Carla says:

It’s fantastic! No surprise there. Another lovely finish.
    When is this little bump due?

mailergoat says:

Congratulations on Bump bump! I missed that news, if it’s not new news. A whole new train of beautiful baby/toddler pictures is a gift to your readers! 😉

Janequiltsslowly says:

This is an amazing quilt. I’ve had a diamond quilt on my list for a long time & this is the inspiration I needed. Congrats on the new baby news. I’m sure bump bump will love this quilt.

19. Pingback: FITF: carkai improv stripes | Film in the Fridge

Claudia says:

Love, love, love your diamonds quilt. I could stare at it for ages!And did I read correctly – little bump is on its way? What happy lovely news!Congratulations!

21. Pingback: FITF: mismatched stripes | Film in the Fridge