Mendocino log cabins

mendocinologcabin

Look, look! I (finally!) finished a quilt top. This was probably the biggest reason for the lack of productivity this summer (by the way, it’s another boy!). I finally feel interested in sewing again, and there’s even a bit of time for it now that Max is back in preschool, but then we started a construction project at our house which displaced my sewing space. This one was finished up at the dining room table amid the plastic walls and construction noise.

mendocinologcabin2

I received a surprise fat quarter bundle from Windham Fabrics a while ago of the reissue of Heather Ross’s Mendocino. It seems I just can’t resist Heather’s prints, because even though I still wasn’t really feeling up for sewing, I found myself diving into my stash for coordinating prints and cutting them all up into strips for this log cabin quilt.

mendocinologcabin4

I like the mix of prints in this line – lots of bold colors but then also a number of low volume prints on white or peachy-colored backgrounds. I opted to use the orange, gold, fuchsia and plum colored prints from this line for this quilt (though don’t worry, the reissue does include those great aquas and browns too!)

mendocinologcabin5

I’ve always been intrigued by this type of log cabin quilt, but have always shied away as I find log cabin blocks a bit slow to construct. I opted to make 10-15 at at a time and chain pieced them and was pleased to find that they came together rather quickly.

mendocinologcabin3

I thought I’d make it baby sized, but then realized I should really up the number of blocks and make it more of a bed sized quilt for Hazel. It should end up about 60″ x 75″ or so, which should work well in a toddler bed (and hey, should she decide she’s not into it, I’ll gladly put it to use myself as a nice lap quilt!)

mendocinologcabin6

It was really fun to get to sew with Heather’s fabulous Mendocino line again! Thanks, Windham Fabrics, for giving me the opportunity to do so! The reissue of Mendocino will be available next March, I believe.

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts, Quilt Blocks and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Mendocino log cabins

sue says:

I love these pinks! Well done. I am inspired to make a log cabin quilt, it’s been 25 years since the last one!

Ann says:

Lovely! Can you please give the width of your strips for the log cabin pattern? Most patterns call for 1.5″ strips which make for a slow process. Thanks!

D Parker says:

Congratulations on your new baby boy. I wish got you a safe delivery. Love the log cabin quilt. Will need to check out those fabrics.

Linda says:

So glad to see you back! I’ve missed you. 😎 Congratulations on the new love in your life. I love seeing those baby faces, and I love Max and Hazel helping daddy with the quilt…lol.

Great take on the Log Cabin. I like the way you do them like that. Glad Mendocino is coming back.

Don’t be such a stranger.

xo Linda

Ann says:

Absolutely love your eye for color and how you coordinate your prints! Been following your blog for a long time and cannot remember a quilt that I wasn’t crazy about. This is another great example. Congrats on your newest expectation! Your children are adorable.

Pat S says:

Congratulations on the soon to be addition to your lovely family. The quilt is gorgeous. I always get excited when my Bloglovin’ feed shows you’ve made a post. I miss seeing you.

Rochelle says:

I love the colors and the background. Beautiful job. Hope this puts you back on the sewing path.

Ali M says:

WOW! I was amazed youd been storing that in your stash for so long, and so excited to see that they are reissuing it instead! Lovely quilt too 🙂

Nan says:

Absolutely beautiful! Log Cabin blocks are my favorites!

Verena says:

Congratulations! Beautiful quilt as well!

Lynn says:

Beautiful! I love the colors and layout. Log cabins are my favorite 🙂 Your photos are stunning, too!

Lizzie says:

Delightful quilt! It’s amazing just how low volume the peachy prints are, when there is so much going on up close. Very exciting that Mendocino is being re-issued 🙂

Stephanie says:

Oh my gosh! I am not really a lover of pink but these fabrics… so lovely! I absolutely love them in the log cabins. I’m going to have to keep my eye out for the fabric release. Really, really love your quilt.

Carla says:

Congratulations Ashley, and what a beautiful quilt!

Heather Ross prints always make me squeeee! Love how you’ve put them together in this log cabin quilt!

Tamie says:

Congratulations on the upcoming arrival. Love your quilt too.