a medallion quilt top

medallion4

I didn’t set out to make a medallion quilt, but it would seem as though I have. I pulled out these fabrics recently, pulling mostly from a fat eighth bundle of Anna Maria Horner’s Honor Roll line, and adding in other prints that I felt had that same kind of vibe.

medallion6

I started this one as I had just finished up my Liberty Churn Dash, so of course churn dash blocks were still on my mind….but this time in miniature. I made a few and squealed over how cute they were, but of course there’s no way I’d have patience for an entire quilt of 3″ churn dash blocks, so I put them together for the center of this quilt (initially inspired by an image of this quilt, which I had pulled out of a magazine ages ago).

medallion2

From there I had fun building out, adding various rings – some rings made up of other blocks (some half square triangles, plus blocks and larger churn dashes), and others of just a printed fabric. It was an interesting challenge to select what I felt was ‘the right’ next print, and I spent quite a long time auditioning prints on the design wall and studying them from afar.

medallion3

From the get go, my goal was to use what I had – this wasn’t a planned project, but I was really into it, and I didn’t want to have to sit around waiting for fabric to arrive, so I decided that if I didn’t have enough, I’d have to use something else or come up with some other solution. It added an extra little challenge into this project, as there were many times when I felt I had found ‘the perfect’ fabric, only to discover that I was way short!

meallion4

And in the end I’m really happy with how it turned out! I particularly love those projects that come along unplanned and keep me really interested the whole way through.

medallion

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to a medallion quilt top

Carol says:

I absolutely love this quilt!! I’m also a big fan of churn dash blocks – love what you did with them!

Tracy Hansen says:

I. Love. This. Everything about it!! I love scrappy quilts and I think the places where you “made do” are the absolute best. Congratulations on a gorgeous top!

Verena says:

Love it! (And I can completely understand that you didn’t want to make a whole quilt out of 3 inch churn-dash blocks πŸ™‚ )

Jac says:

Ohmygosh…I completely LOVE this quilt! Being a lover of anything AMH’s and churn dashes, this really speaks to me. A wonderful piece of work…Great job!!

Julie N says:

I love this quilt and a medallion is on my immediate bucket list. I have way too much fabric sitting around waiting for the “perfect” project. Thanks for the inspiration!

Terri Ann says:

It’s lovely! I love the asymmetrical improv feel it has with the close up pictures while at a glance in the larger photos it feel very organized. All that time spent auditioning and hemming and hawing paid off πŸ™‚

Cathy Lohwater says:

I love this quilt. Very stunning. How do you make those “hollow” triangles in the navy border? They are so cute.

Liz says:

Beautiful! I love your originality.

Carla says:

What a brilliant happy accident! Love the photo shoot too ; )

Charlotte says:

I love medallion quilts. Your design is beautiful. I would like to make a medallion someday. I usually follow a pattern, I like how you do your own designs. Maybe, someday, when I quit my day job!

Lana says:

GORGEOUS!!!!!!!! BRAVO!!!!!!

Kathleen says:

It’s great! As always!

Alli says:

That looks fabulous! I’m so impressed that you made this all improv- and stash-busting-like! πŸ™‚

Camilla says:

Wow so cool! It’s so frustrating to find the perfect thing only to not have enough, so you did so well to not lose momentum and find a creative solution! It’s stunning!

Susie says:

This is beautiful

Angie says:

All your quilts are awesome, but I especially like the ones like this one, with elements of surprise, resourcefulness and creative spins on traditional patterns. Looking forward to seeing this one quilted. Nice job!

Cassie says:

Im in the middle of my first “impromptu” quilt.. I’ve made 10-20 so far planned and purchased fabric and what not-but the one I’m doing now, I really liked a certain block so I was fooling around, and before I knew it I was up late the other night pulling from my stash for the quilt! So fun and satisfying to know you’re using everything you ALREADY have!

terri henderson says:

i love the pink. i think that really makes the quilt

Lael says:

I haven’t closed this window on my computer yet because I keep being amazing by this quilt. I love the colors and blocks and fabric choices and etc… Lael

Jennifer O. says:

I really like this! The colors, plus the improv/imperfect feel of it feels very free.

24. Pingback: FITF: my finished medallion quilt | Film in the Fridge