potential quilts

I like to see all my fabric stacks as potential quilts, though of course they can’t all become quilts. Too many stacks, and definitely not enough time these days! I’m hoping that these piles will become quilts though.

dsstack

The first is a stack of all my favorite prints from several of Denyse Schmidt’s lines. There’s lots of Hope Valley and Chicopee, along with a bit of her original Flea Market Fancy, a few prints from Shelburne Falls, and a couple from Florence. I love that these lines play so nicely together, and this quilt is one I’ve had in mind for some time.

dsstack2

I’m going quite simple on this one, and am hoping to make it a king sized quilt for our bed. We shall see. I often write that I plan on making a large quilt, get halfway done, and decide to turn it into a nice sized throw. Hopefully I’ll have better luck this time.

bloggerbundle

And the next stack? A bundle I pulled together for the Fat Quarter Shop. I was pleased to be asked, though was surprised to find how challenging it was to select fabrics from lines that hadn’t yet been released (I selected them months ago from images online).

bloggerbundle2

Since I knew this bundle would be released at this time, I selected colors that read ‘icy winter’ to me, figuring that I’d probably put this bundle to use in December/January. Of course, I just received my bundle in the mail and quite love it, so I may put it to use before then! You can find this bundle here.

bloggerbundle3

This entry was posted in Fabric and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to potential quilts

Sarah says:

Love those stacks! And your FQS bundle is amazing! That color combination is one of my faves!!!

Kar says:

I think you did a great job a picking fabrics for your FQS bundle. Very wintry, icy feel to them.

Míša says:

Aaah, your bundle for FQS is really really beautiful!

Kathleen says:

As always, a great eye for color.

Sandra H. says:

Icy winter looks wonderful….

laura hall says:

icy winter looks wonderful!

Elise says:

Beautiful fabrics – I look forward to seeing the “potential” quilts created from these.

CJ says:

Love the first pile, and I really love the icy winter one. Some of my favourite colours there.

Sharon Eshlaman says:

I love all the stacks! Wish they were my stacks :-)

Margaret says:

what a lovely collection of fabrics you have. What sort of quantity do you buy your fabrics in, I am quite new to quilting and have started buying half yards but not sure if that is the correct way to build a stash

• 12
      Nancy says:

I wondered the same question when I was starting out and the answer is “it depends”. I get that answer now more than I did back then because you will be developing your own style, it’s the fabrics that you are drawn to, and what you would use a particular fabric for. Backgrounds and backings are going to be larger cuts than bindings and accents. I love striped bindings so I am always on the look out for those. I have some scraps cut into various size squares in jars on a shelf that I pull from for scrap quilts. Read blogs, bookmark stuff you like, and keep working at it. Buy a little extra when you buy for a pattern and add to your stash. I have so many things bookmarked now, I probably won’t live that long! N

lauradodson says:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the dark, fallish stack. It looks like a warm and cozy quilt to be.

Nancy says:

I have a little bit of that barbell fabric in yellow and I just love it. I use it sparingly and it will break my heart when it is gone. I wish they would rerelease it. I guess there are always new favorites to take the old ones place.

Franziska says:

The bundle is so me. I’d purchase it immediately if I weren’t on a fabric diet… Grey, blue (or aqua or whatever), green. Me.

Anne Chevalier says:

I just love this colour combination but have “Patchwork Love Letters” still to do – (delighted to get the typewriter fabric this summer) and am working on pinwheels at present. I have sworn that I’m not going to buy more fabric randomly or just because I love it – I want to know what I’ll make with it before I buy. Have you any idea what pattern you might use for the “Winter Ice” bundle? Your blog is so inspiring – I’d love to see an example of that bundle in use!

I absolutely love seeing stacks of fabric together for potential quilts! Even if you don’t make them (or don’t make them all at least), I think fabric bundles are super inspirational.

17. Pingback: FITF: a giant plus | Film in the Fridge

Teresa says:

Where do I purchase this.Your link yields “not found”I could never pull this together as I have zip for color sence.But I know beautiful when I see it.Thank you

Teresa says:

New to this..did my question go through?Where do I find your bundle?It is beautiful ice

Anja says:

Hi!
    I´ve received your wonderful stack of fabrics from FatquarterShop and used it for a tablecloth, which can be
    seen on my blog!
    Thanks for the great selection!

Anja