a giant plus

dsplus2

I’m really pleased to have gotten these squares sewn up into a king sized quilt top! It really wasn’t a planned quilt – or not planned for this moment, anyway, but now that it’s done, I can’t wait to get it quilted and on the bed.

dsplus4

As I mentioned before, I had this one planned in my mind for some time, and thought it would be a good opportunity to put all my favorite Denyse Schmidt prints in one quilt. I love me a plus quilt, and knew I’d like the look with all these smaller scale prints.

dsplus3

Since this one was meant for our king sized bed, I upped the size of the squares – using five 8″ squares (or a 1/4 yard cut of each fabric). And despite its large size, it came together rather quickly (a bonus in my book!). I even made a backing immediately and got it off in the mail to be quilted. I don’t send too many quilts out to be quilted, but I think I draw the line at a king sized quilt. I knew if I attempted it it might sit forever unfinished in the closet. And with the temps as they are in VT, I’ll need to put this one to use immediately!

dsplus

(Hazel just happened to match the quilt top!)

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to a giant plus

Carla says:

So looking forward to seeing this one quilted. It will be amazing. Thanks for inspiring once again ; )

Beautiful color combinations! And the perfect model!

Alice R. says:

So fun! Congratulations on sending it out. I don’t do that either, but, oh, the backlog!

Sarah Helene Seufert says:

YES, we’re all anxious to see photos of the completed QUILT… lovely printed fabrics in both bright & dark colorations. HAZEL adds to these shots! Sarah Helene in Minneapolis

dispack says:

MMMM all of it! especially that darling little girl!

Sarah says:

I keep trying to look at the quilt top, but my eye keeps resting on the adorable Miss Hazel! Can’t wait to see the quilt once you’ve gotten it back. All that DS goodness- I’m glad you’re keeping it for yourself!

Wens says:

Ooh it’s looking awesome! I want to make a plus quilt soon, this one is so nice with Denyse fabrics. Looking forward to seeing the final result!

Kitty says:

LOVE it! I’m such a Denyse Schmidt fan myself and it’s so nice seeing those prints in big juicy chunks like this!

Jenny says:

I cannot wait to see this quilt finished. Hazel’s such a doll.

Linda says:

Whenever I see a pic of Max or Hazel as soon as the site opens, I chuckle out loud! I can’t help myself….. They are so adorable, and it’s hard to believe how big they are getting. I adore babies, and I don’t have any around any more…..sigh. Oh, and the quilt is great, too!! 8-)

xo Linda

Margaret says:

a great quilt, Hazel looks such a sweet, innocent little girl

Liane says:

I love the small scale prints…and the small scale person! Your daughter is so cute!

Marianne says:

Top is cuter but Hazel is way cuter! What a little doll! Anxiously awaiting to see the completed quilt be sure to share who quilted it!

laura hall says:

great photos of adorable subjects-girls and quilts!

Pam Pollock says:

Hazel is so cute! Love those little feet! Your quilt is amazing. Can’t wait to see it finished.

exactly what I would call this picture

Nikki says:

Hazel is gorgeous, and these pics are terrific!

Lana says:

That is really pretty! I can’t wait to see it quilted!
    oh, and Hazel is growing way too fast!

JulieCC says:

I love this! I’m getting ready (after Christmas sewing) to make a king-sized plus quilt for our bed, too. I’m using Tula Pink’s Acacia line. I have the fat quarter set and 1/2 yard blender set from Westwood Acres. I’m thinking of cutting 9″ triangles from the FQ’s to make it simple. Or if I want some leftovers, a bit smaller. Thanks for sharing!

Ruthann says:

I love your work in progress and Hazel is so cute! Have a great Thanksgiving.

Where DO you find the time?
    And I wish I knew where to find this pattern!
    Is it right under my nose?
    Lost….

Donna says:

Flash! That was the lightbulb going off in my head for another great Ashley idea. You just solved my kingsize quilt dilemma, thank you! Now I just need a cute baby to go with it. (Uh, not. But I enjoy seeing Hazel.)

jamee says:

i love the idea of making these blocks bigger! i am experimenting with some machine quilting techniques…like that secondary design in quilting…and this will be perfect! i plan on making mine with some charms bought on black friday! happy thanksgiving

Sarah says:

I love plus quilts and this one is going to be amazing! Can’t wait to see it all quilted up. Hazel is looking very grown up, holding herself up on her belly.

Jessica says:

I’ve quilted a king size quilt on my itty bitty machine. Never again. So, wise choice!