flax plus quilt top

flaxplus

This is what’s been keeping me busy lately (well, this and the little ones!). I wanted to feature those great hand printed fabrics I showed here, and thought a little plus quilt might be just the ticket.

flaxplus2

Originally I thought it would be a mini quilt, since I only had small pieces of the printed fabrics, but as I was putting them up on the design wall, I decided to enlarge it by adding in lots more of the Essex linen in flax, and using that as a background.

flaxplus3

I’m quite happy with it, and kind of love that this color scheme is a change from what I’m typically drawn to.

The hand printed fabrics are available here at Bookhou.
This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to flax plus quilt top

Jes says:

Wow those are many squares! Love it!

Kar says:

Gorgeous choices of fabrics. :)

Lauren aka Giddy99 says:

Wow! It’s not my usual color scheme either, but I love this! Fantastic job!

Lily says:

It looks allready beautiful! How will you quilt it? I am curious.

Janet M. says:

Beautiful! I love the rich jewel tones and the layout with the neutrals. Nice job!

Dani says:

I love this! What a beautiful combination of colors. You did a great job on it! Did you improv the placement of the pluses?

julierose says:

I love this pattern and the colorways you’ve used–lovely work…julierose

beth lehman says:

love love love that flax linen!!! perfect with the prints!

Alison says:

I think this is fab. Love the colours.

Verena says:

Wow, that looks great!! I love it!

CJ says:

It’s absolutely lovely, and what a perfect place to photograph it. The tree is a wonderful backdrop for the colours in the quilt.

Carla says:

My heart skipped a beat. SO awesome!

Cindy says:

Love it!! Love the colors you used and the flax linen!! I really need to get my hands on some of that Essex linen!

shannon says:

Love this quilt, just gorgeous!

Your quilt is looking wonderful Ashley. What a great way to feature those special pieces of fabric and also make them go so much further. Like you, this isn’t my usual colour preference but I love it. Your choice of background for the photo shoot makes a big difference too.

I love the way the printed pluses pop and cluster here and there. I’ve been wanting to do a quilt with this kind of easy-mixing in small quantities that still allows fabrics to cluster. It looks like you lay this out as individual squares. Wow, would definitely need a design wall for that!

Tonya Albers says:

Gorgeous! Love the color palette :). I think I will need to go get some flax… :)

Love these fabrics! Also, wanted to thank you for the inspiration – I’ve been reading your blog for years and just finished sewing my first quilt! It’s definitely imperfect and was a learning experience, but I’m now hooked on quilting (and hopefully improving my techniques)! Thanks for all the gorgeous eye-candy – your skills and productivity are so impressive!

Shauna says:

I was able to do a quilt like this, inspired by yours of course, not on a design wall, I made up a design on graph paper, and followed that. It’s easier than getting up and down for the design wall.

Netta says:

this has such a great feel, love the mix of so many neutrals with a few stronger fabrics. Like Shauna, I did my plus quilt on graph paper, mostly because I don’t yet have a design wall.

22. Pingback: FITF: flax plus quilt | Film in the Fridge

Brye Lynn says:

I love this design. I am currently working on a postage stamp quilt and playing around with how to put all the little squares together. This is a great way to look at them. Wonderful!

kay young says:

Please, can you make up a pattern for this? I want to make it with the same colors