edges and angles quilt top

edges2

It was so nice to receive a few charm packs of Laura Gunn’s Edges line, thanks to Laura and Michael Miller fabrics. To be honest though, I wasn’t sure I had time for another quilt. I have quite the stack of tops that I was hoping to finish before the baby’s born. But really, the more I looked at those lovely rainbow-hued prints in the charm packs, the more I wanted to see them in a quilt.

edges

I have loved all of Laura’s previous lines – I think her style is so unique, and I really like the look of her hand painted prints. We continue to use these pillowcases, made from her Poppy line, on a daily basis. I love how her new line provides so many great basics and blenders, perfect for any number of projects, especially if you’re looking for a solid, but something with a bit of depth and texture.

edges3

I decided to chop the charm squares down to these wedge shapes, which I bordered with some white (Cotton Couture in soft white, which is my go-to white).

edges4

Once I had the wedges made, I auditioned a few solids for the background, but couldn’t come up with something I liked and/or had enough of. To work around that little problem, I decided to just embrace color and go for a variety of background colors. And I’m really glad it worked out that way!

edges5

(this boy… he does love a quilt photo shoot!)

Laura Gunn's Edges can be found in many shops now, including Fat Quarter Shop, Fabricworm, and Hawthorne Threads

The background solids are all Michael Miller Cotton Couture solids, which are available from many great shops, including Pink Chalk Fabrics, Fat Quarter shop (20% off through the end of this month!), Pink Castle Fabrics, and Bloomerie

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to edges and angles quilt top

Diane says:

Your best quilt ever…a really great job!

Sarina says:

I love this new line of fabric and you really did it justice. Beautiful quilt!

jodi says:

Fabulous quilt, and fabrics/colors! you didn’t mention a pattern or tutorial! would love to purchase it or use it. Please advise. P.S. Your boy is pretty cute, too!

Carla says:

Amazing as usual. Such great colours and placement.

Carly says:

Beautiful quilt! You’ve done it again. :)

Cindy says:

Love the colors and the design!! Max is just too cute!!:)

sarah says:

Gorgeous! I’d love to find a charm pack of this fabric but I can’t locate one. If anyone has a pointer, please let me know!

Sarah says:

You are so talented. I can’t believe you just came up with this idea for a quilt and it worked. The shapes are not usual go to shapes, but they are perfect, and then different backgrounds but grouped in colours, it just works, beautifully! Well done! Love your little quilt model too. My four year old son loves to help, often exclaiming as I sew “oh it’s beautiful mum, I love it! Can it be my quilt?”. So darling whilst they still love everything we do, and delight in our company and attention.

Robin says:

that is just beautiful – what a talent you have.
    It is simple, but not at all boring.
    You make it look so easy :)

Dixie McIntyre says:

What a great idea pattern, love the color combos. Any hope for a block tutorial?

Love it, I have the tool and the fabric, one day !

CJ says:

Lovely quilt, and such a sweet little helper. How small boys do love to help out!

pam says:

I love this quilt! Probably because I see are Christmas trees!!! Lots n lots of Christmas trees.

Christina says:

This is a great use of tumblers!! Really inspired and versatile, I love it.

Susan Strong says:

Love the how you used different background colours and then grouped them together. Brilliant! I am always inspired by your quilts.

19. Pingback: FITF: Edges and Angles quilt (+ giveaway!) | Film in the Fridge

Caryll Craig says:

Loved this, the colours are fantastic