farfalle… again!

Thank you so much for all your sweet comments about my recent quilt! It’s so much fun to find the perfect location to photograph a finished quilt. I enjoyed reading your comments and while I wish I could respond individually to each of you, I’m afraid that if I did so, there might not be any time left for making quilts! But I really hope you know that I read and appreciate each and every one, and as a small token of my appreciation, I thought I’d select one person from among those who commented to receive a selection of the leftover gray prints I used in that quilt. Carly, commenter #22, that’s you!

lowvolumefarfalle

If you’ve been reading for a while, you might remember my Flying Farfalle quilt, which I made using small scraps of Anna Maria Horner’s Little Folks. It’s a fun and quick quilt to make, and uses upĀ (and showcases!) tiny little scraps. Nova recently made a gorgeous one using Liberty of London scraps and after seeing it, I couldn’t get the idea of remaking that quilt out of my mind. My low volume prints were still out, and I had a bunch of brightly colored scraps left over from my Marcelle plus quilt, so it seemed a perfect match.

lowvolumefarfalle2

You can find an image of this block, called the Exquisite block, in Gwen Marston’s Liberated Quiltmaking II book. I don’t think (I can’t remember, and to be honest, I can’t bear the thought of getting off the couch to run upstairs to check!) there are specific instructions for making the block, but Jacquie and Katie also devote a portion of their book, Quilting Modern, to the stitch and flip technique, which you could use to make these blocks. I couldn’t remember what size blocks I made originally, so I went with 5″ x 7″ rectangles for this one (which look to be a bit larger than those in the Flying Farfalle quilt).

lowvolumefarfalle3

I like how different both versions are. I think I’ll always be drawn to the stark white which really makes those triangle pieces pop, but now I also quite like the fact that this one uses so many additional fabrics – more to admire when you’re laying under it!

(book links are Amazon affiliate links)

This entry was posted in Fabric, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to farfalle… again!

Suzanne says:

Not only is it fun to see your quilts, but I like hearing where your inspiration comes from.

Nancy says:

I have used this idea several times and always love it.

Penny G says:

The first quilt is an amazing quilt and I really like it, but this quilt has a little more traditional feel to me and I really like it. I can’t pick between them so if I were you I would think about them like children and love them both for their individual strengths.

Cindy says:

I loved the first one you made but I think I favor this one just alittle more. I love the bright scraps against the low volume prints. It’s just a cozy quilt to look at! You pick the neatest locations for your quilts and that gray love triangle quilt is gorgeous!!

Carla says:

I made the farfalle quilt a couple of years ago with charcoal as the solid…this one looks so great…maybe I need to think about another one too!

tracy_a says:

Gorgeous! My 9-year-old just learned to sew and this might be a great partner project – she pick the colors/scraps and can do the stitch-and-flip, and I can seam the larger blocks together with a consistent seam allowance….thanks for the inspiration!

Carly says:

YAY!!! Thanks so much for passing on such an AWESOME gift! I’m so excited I don’t even know what to do! I guess sit by the mailbox and draw up quilt ideas! Thank you again!

Carly says:

Well shoot. I thought I had won something for once and my heart skipped a few beats. Sad that I’m not the right Carly :(.

But I still love your blog and your quilts!

Christine Sherman says:

Another great quilt!

I’ve been thinking about making a quilt like this to use of my colorful triangle scraps. But then.. it would make a bunch of low volume triangle scraps. AAAAAaaaah! Triangles are persistent creatures.

jordyn says:

You did a a beautiful job on this quilt.

I like this version a lot! I also love that you mentioned Gwen Marston. She’s the bomb!