love triangle – a quilt in shades of gray

lovetriangle

As named because why yes, I do love these triangles!

lovetriangle4

This quilt is completely inspired by this quilt I pinned many months ago. I collected gray fabrics for a while, unsure of what pattern to use, and in the end I decided simple was better. But rather than patchwork squares, I decided to switch it up a bit by going with triangles – a bit harder to piece, but always a fun design.

lovetriangle3

After my last post, I thought I’d try to redeem myself with some better quilt photos. We had come across these fun wooden pyramids a while back and this spot immediately went on my list as a ‘someday quilt photo location’. How fun to realize that I had the perfect quilt to photograph there!

lovetriangle6

I kept the quilting simple, with straight lines on either side of each seam. I always like the way it looks, and I love those little stars that are created where the points meet (I’d show you a photo, but oops, I forgot to get one!)

lovetriangle5

I auditioned many solids for the binding, and loved this plum color the best. There are two Michael Miller Cotton Couture solids in jewel and orchid as well as a little bit of a similarly colored Lizzy House jewel print. I kind of liked the idea of making up the binding in shades of plum, just as the quilt was made up of shades of gray (maybe that’s over-thinking it?) Anyway…

lovetriangle2

I originally thought I might make the backing out of some fun solid or print, but after finding a nice gray and white polka dot print in my stash (you can see a little peek of it in the photo above), and discovering that I had just the right amount, I decided it was meant to be. And I’m so glad it worked out that way, because I love that the majority of the quilt is made up of just gray and white with only that little bit of color in the binding.

A previous post about this quilt can be found here.

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Other Quilts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to love triangle – a quilt in shades of gray

Pat says:

Awesome! And what a perfect photo spot!!

Penny G says:

Love the quilt, but absolutely adore the photo with Max and the brightly colored jacket as a highlight.

Kathy says:

Beautiful quilt! Fantastic photography! Wow

Xandi says:

You’re photo locations are always fantastic, this one especially

Jane D says:

That quilt is gorgeous – I think the pop of colour in the binding really makes it. There’s just enough brightness to work well with the different grays.

Erin Wilson says:

I adore this one. And a totally fab location to make your photos! I appreciate the effort you put into that :)

elsa says:

Your triangle quilt is wonderful ~ and love the place you chose to do the photos.

Dree says:

It great, and I love love love the binding. And that photo location is amazing.

Whitney says:

Where is this?! So perfect! Your photos have made me rethink wanting to buy this quilt.

HeatherK says:

What fun photos!! I’m looking forward to making my own triangle quilt, as I collect enough purples, but I am amazed at how many places you have to take fun pictures. What a perfect location for that particular quilt. Love it!

Tanis says:

Wow! Gorgeous quilt, so subtle and beautiful. Could you have found a more perfect photo shoot location!? I think not. The whole thing is just perfection.

Kelly says:

Very nice! I’ve been dreaming of a gray triangle quilt with pops of yellow or pink. This is really nice!!!

Ali M says:

Wow is all I have to say! And yes, very clever photo shoot :)

Marla says:

Wow so pretty. Love the binding. That is one Seuss-ish photo spot. What are those cones for??

Eeva says:

I also liked original quilt (I mean that quilt where you got your inspiration) but your quilt is more intresting. With bright binding this quilt is sooo gorgeous.

Franziska says:

I like the way you placed solids and prints, lights and darks. I like the triangles (have to try that, too). But I think I’m not the type for total grey quilts. Makes me think someone has taken away the colour of the photo. I’m glad you like it ‘though.

Susan Jonsson says:

Your quilt photo is possibly one of the best I have ever seen. Fabulous location to accent your quilt. I need to make one….an excuse to add to my grey fabric collection. I want one of those pyramids for my garden! Where on Earth is this wonderful location? Genius that you thought to photograph your quilt and adorable child in that particular spot!

Susan

Nicole says:

What a stunning quilt. One of you most striking. So simple yet so inviting. I just want to keep looking at it. A refreshing change to just squares, that are so populat at the moment. Thank you so much for sharing this lovely quilt.

Charlotte E says:

You should have made it in King Size then it could have been a 50 Shades of Gray Love Traingle quilt :-) Seriously though it looks great and that is an absolutely perfect spot to photograph it.

Carly says:

Another beautiful quilt! You inspire me. I have a two and a half year old which makes finding time for quilting a challenge. Thanks being showing me its possible! :) I love everything thing you make!

Carla says:

Your photo shots make a great quilt even better! The binding is perfect!!

caroline says:

lovely! i love your choice of binding fabric – just the right pop!

Melanie C says:

Love this!!! I’m adding this to my “to make” list! Fabulous photos too!

Frances says:

What a gorgeous quilt and an awesome place for a photo shoot!

Jo Wat says:

Love everything about it. Best photo shoot yet and I have loved many of your past ones. Very inspiring as always.

Christine Sherman says:

Wow, this looks amazing!! This is one of the best quilts I have seen in a long time. It’s different, even though triangles are everywhere. I absolutely love it!! Great photo shoot!!

Erica says:

Oh my goodness! I love this quilt~and what an awesome photoshoot! You’ve got a great eye, Ashley!

Amanda says:

Love the quilt and yes, this is just the PERFECT location to photograph it :)

Virginia Hammon says:

Ditto, ditto, ditto on the incredible photo location!…a perfect match for a wonderful quilt!

Love the bright binding! your quilt is fabulous.

Carla says:

Another gorgeous quilt. The plum binding is the crown jewel!

Camilla says:

Stunning! Yet another fantastic and finished quilt. You always take great photos. Taking note is a great plan. I might actually keep a running list coz I always forget about great spots I’ve seen.

kristin says:

i’m sort of freaking out about that first photo. what a PERFECT location for that quilt!

Wow, you make grey look fun! That’s two words I thought I would never type together … ‘grey’ and ‘fun’. Love it :-)

katie says:

I love the addition of the colored binding. I’ve been collecting gray to make the original charm quilt and saved some deep burgandy to bind it.

janita says:

Perfectly Beautiful! I want one:) Janita

You have the best photo-op locations where you live!

Willit says:

This is a beautiful quilt and a perfect location for it’s photo shoot. Congratulations on doing such a great job.

42. Pingback: FITF: farfalle… again! | Film in the Fridge

Anya says:

I was thinking about your quilt and the awesome photo shoot location while I was waiting to pick my kids of from school the other day. I decided I was going to email you to ask where those awesome pyramids are. I then looked up and saw them across the street!! My kids go to Champlain and I’ve never noticed those pyramids before! Thanks for sharing.

Lauren Deel says:

Oh, I am in love with this! And I love the name, too!

Kellie says:

I am wiping drool off my chin! Absolutely beautiful!!