a voile quilt/blanket for me!

voileblanket

A couple years ago I made up a bunch of voile blankets backed in flannel in preparation for Max’s birth. My most favorite was this patchwork version, and in that post I mentioned how I really wanted one in an adult size. Well, it took me over two years, but I finally have my very own voile/flannel blanket!

voileblanket3

I used 6″ squares of all my favorite Anna Maria Horner voiles and backed it with white flannel. It’s not technically a quilt, since there are only two layers, but I did quilt it on either side of each seam to avoid shifting, and I bound it as you would a quilt.

voileblanket5

I absolutely love the weight! It’s light, yet still soft and snuggly, and I’m quite sure that I will get a lot of use out of it. For now, it’s an extra quilt for cold nights, but I think it’ll be my go to quilt/blanket during summer nights.

voileblanket4

Oh, and in case you’re looking, Brenda at Pink Castle Fabrics has lots of Anna Maria Horner voiles available, including many of the prints I used in this quilt!

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Charm Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to a voile quilt/blanket for me!

Suzanne says:

Nice! At first I read the post title as “Voila! A quilt blanket for me!”

Allison C says:

LOVE this! I have been hoping that someone would host a voile fabric swap so I could make a patchwork voile quilt for myself. I like that you backed yours with flannel…I imagine it is awesome to cuddle with.

elsa says:

I love voile and have a whole collection of Liberty that I’ve been saving/not wanting to cut. This is a great idea! I like Allison’s idea too ~ a swap would be fun!

Carla says:

These things take time. Glad you made one for yourself : )

Michele says:

Oh, it’s so pretty! I need one of those in Florida.

I have not worked with voile or flannel… Do you wash the flannel before sewing? I have heard it shrinks a lot. Thanks so much : )

inna says:

Hallo,
    ich möchte dir danken für die Inspiration die ich immer bei dir finde .
    Deine einfache und doch raffinierte Art die Quillts zu nähen begeistert mich immer wieder. Und ich warte imme auf den neuen Quillt…
    Ich heiße Inna und wohne in Neumagen-Dhron Deutschland und das ist mein Blog:
    Ich würde mich freuen wenn du dir den Blog ansiehst.
    Danke

inna

Kay says:

Gorgeous. I love this idea.

CJ says:

Beautiful! I noticed that you used lots of different fabrics in your blanket. Did you buy fat quarter bundles, or just collect yardage over time? I’d love to work with voile, but like you did I’d like to mix up the fabrics. It’s hot in Texas in the summer (and even in the winter this year) so a light quilt for the bed would be fabulous.

Cindy says:

I’ve made 2 flannel/voile quilts and absolutely love them! They’re my go-to for a cozy nap!

Angela says:

Love the quilt. Even though I’ve been quilting for years, I’ve never made a quilt just for me but I think this is the one. Having never worked with voile, any hints that might be helpful??

Clare says:

Oooo – I love it. I’m gonna make one of these a ‘one-day’ treat for myself too!

Lynne Tilley says:

Oh, I’m blanket freak, and I’m in Texas, too. Just light quilts are what we need. This would be so quick and easy to put together. Yours is fabulous! Just love the mix of pattern and color and “patch-work-i-ness” it has to it :)

Alice R. says:

I bet that is one wonderful blanket. What a great idea!

Lauren aka Giddy99 says:

It’s beautiful!

lynda says:

Very nice… I just want to say that the word “blanket” with a quilt makes most quilters cringe. I know because this has been heavily discussed among the many quilters that I know, including me. Great quilt

Emily says:

Love the quilt. BTW, your link to the voile fabrics on Pink Castle Fabrics doesn’t seem to work.

Cindy says:

Love this!! I need something lightweight like this- great job!

Karen says:

Ohhh, I love the idea of this light weight snuggly quilty blanket. I may have to just give this a try. :o)

21. Pingback: friday favorites. « there's no place like gnome.

karen says:

This is so lovely and cheerful. Enjoy!

laura hall says:

Love it. Thanks for sharing so many beautiful projects-you inspire me.

Dawn Stephens says:

I make a lot of quilts with flannel as the backing and no batting. They are great for baby quilts and for warmer climates. I make them just like a regular quilt but eliminate the batting. I love them and it saves on the pocketbook too. Batting is not cheap.

Paula Guilliams says:

I too love ‘light’ weight quilts – I frequently use muslim for the middle layer and then back with flannel – since I live in Texas (DFW), this weight works well.

Meg says:

Beautiful quilt and I can imagine how delightful it is to wrap up in!!

Tina says:

I Need One like this too!

terri henderson says:

we call those summer quilts. quilts with no batting. i had one until my son took it over.

Susanne says:

Thanks for the pictures and info. It was just the inspiration I needed to finally cut into my voile (that I’ve been looking at and petting for the last year) :) I buckled down to iron and sew it together. Should be done in time for those lovely summer nights.

Susanne says:

I am wondering, do you press your seams apart or to one side when ironing?

Do you use a certain brand of flannel? I’m always looking for one that keeps its softness for more than 1 wash!