a colorful trip

triparoundworld2

Can I blame the weather for my lack of blogging? I realize there have been a lot of these quilts pictured on blogs recently, but I wanted to get my finished quilt top up on the blog so I have record of it. I’ve tried to get photos of it for the last couple weeks, but the weather has certainly conspired against me – it’s been windy, bitterly cold, and of course, growing dark round about 4:30. Ah, winter in Vermont! Anyway, I’m giving up and admitting that this is the best I can do.

triparoundworld

Most ended up looking like this!

But anyway, the quilt… this is a trip around the world, made using this tutorial. I love it as a scrappy quilt, and I really love that I was able to use up many scraps, as well as many older fabrics that have been hanging around. It was really quick to put together, and strangely addictive. I woke up each morning excited to see some additional blocks come together. Now I’m trying to decide on a backing and a quilting pattern!

backing

Speaking of backings, I did well last week putting together backings for some older quilts. This one is a particular favorite – I used up a good portion of solid grays from my stash, as well as these cute rainbow blocks which I made previously, but didn’t end up using. Since my goal this year is to use up some stash, I’m really pleased with this one, which is made up entirely of stash fabrics! The quilting was pretty quick too. I went with this stem quilting again (previously used on my Glimma cross quilt) but on a slightly larger scale. Now let’s hope that we get some slightly warmer weather soon so I can snap a few photos!

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to a colorful trip

Suzanne says:

It’s hard when it’s cold out and the sun is not as bright but those factors aside, your quilt still shines.

Heather says:

I really kinda love the flyaway quilt picture.

Tanis says:

I love the stem quilting, it’s such a beautiful pattern. Gorgeous quilt top and back, and yay for using up stash!

Anna says:

The quilt top is gorgeous and I really love the stem quilting!

Linda says:

I love your “trip”. I don’t have enough scraps and I have a hard time choosing things that go together, so I’m using 2 jelly rolls of Moda’s “School Days”. I’m excited to see how it looks! I also love your stem quilting. It really pops on that grey back. So glad you guys are okay. I heard about that horrible weather you were having. Morgan was brave to try and hold that quilt in the wind! Hugs and kisses to all three of you, especially that cutie, Max…8-)

Sharon T says:

A real stunner! Love it!

CitricSugar says:

I got sucked in, too. It was pretty darn addictive and sadly, I think I’ll have to make another sooner rather than later… Yours is lovely.

I adore that back you made – the different greys are great all chunky-like. But I love the quilting… I haven’t managed to do anything like that yet. Do you mark your top ahead of time or wing it?

traceyjay says:

it’s awesome! Great use of fun colors!

Susan Jonsson says:

Just the kick start I need….I want one of these quilts…Just like yours. Gorgeous….and I so admire your quilting…Thanks for sharing.

Susan

Cindy says:

Love this quilt- the colors are gorgeous!! I know what you mean about the weather- I too have been trying to get pictures and haven’t had much luck. I live in Ohio and we have alot of overcast days- YUK! :)

Thank you for sharing your colorful trip! I can’t wait to start mine.

Franziska says:

I’ve seen many of these quilt tops and I won’t make one as before I’d sew something like this I’d try many other things. I like that the quilt top is cheerful ‘though. I love that stem quilting. I hope to try it out someday. I also have problems to take nice photos now. Wind, snow, rain, poor light: choose. Sometimes I have luck, often not :)

katie says:

Oh, your photos are fabulous as always!

It’s a fun, colorful quilt for sure!

loving that grey backing… didn’t realise you are in Vermont… will you be going to the Vermont Quilt Festival in June?

Sarah says:

I love it! Very pretty. I understand the difficulty photographing a quilt in the wind. I live near the coast in South Australia and it’s always windy.

17. Pingback: FITF: taking stock, once again | Film in the Fridge