diamonds on Madrona Road

I had a chance to get my hands on a selection of Violet Craft’s Madrona Road line before it arrived in shops and though it took me a while to decide on a design, I’m really happy with how this quilt turned out! Madrona Road is such a gorgeous collection, separated into two beautiful colorstories, including a great text print which is sure to be a favorite (see better photos of each print, including the memoir on that great text print here).

I decided to limit my color palette and selected these prints above paired with some lovely Michael Miller Cotton Couture solids (from top to bottom – fuschia, berry, peony, petal, canary, mango, orange, stone & gray) I love these pinks and oranges and am oh so fond of how they become quite sophisticated with the addition of the dark grays.

This photo (and this one too) have been favorites for some time and I decided this would be the perfect time to try my hand at these fun wonky diamonds.

The back is pretty simple, with these two strips. I originally had added these strips to the front to extend the length of the quilt, but it just wasn’t right, so to the back they went! To give a nod to those wonky diamonds, I decided to quilt this quilt with this wonky diamond pattern, inspired by a diamond matelasse coverlet we use on our bed sometimes (actually, more often than not I use it as the background for photos I take indoors!)

It’s certainly not perfect quilting, but it really gives this quilt a wonderful texture. If you look you can see the errors, but I was reminded once again how a trip through the washer and dryer really helps to soften and disguise any quilting errors. As a whole, it really gives the look I was going for! And even though there’s a lot of quilting on this one, it still remains really soft.

Madrona Road by Violet Craft for Michael Miller is now available at stores! You can find it at these great shops -
Fat Quarter Shop
Hawthorne Threads
Fabricworm

This entry was posted in baby, Fabric, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Liberated Quilts, [search] Wonky/Improv Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to diamonds on Madrona Road

Laura Jane says:

Love this one! I adore madrona road, and sewed up a quilt top in it on saturday! Couldn’t wait to have a play with it!

Suzanne says:

It’s a lovely quilt, Ashley.

Linda Fieldhouse says:

Ashley,

It is a beautiful quilt and your quilting is lovely. It fits the quilt.

Where did you take your pictures? It is so cool.

Have a good day.

Linda

Allison says:

Love the bright colors with the gray background!

Stephanie says:

Beautiful beautiful beautiful! Can you please give a tutorial on how you did the diamond quilting? I have a stacked coins quilt that the pattern would be perfect for, but I’m having a hard time getting my head wrapped around how you did all those diamonds without overlapping.

M-R says:

Beautiful quilt! Love those fabrics and the quilting!

Julie says:

Love this quilt! Love these fabrics! Can’t wait to get my hands on this collection. Please, please, please give a tutorial on your wonky diamonds!

This quilt looks so great. My question is this: How the heck to you put out so many quilts (this one totally finished) with your adorable little Max around? I’m really impressed.

• 10
      ashley says:

Thanks! Right now Max still takes two decent naps a day, so I sneak in some quilting time whenever I can (and I should mention that there’s not a lot of cleaning or cooking going on over here!)

randi says:

This is a lovely quilt, Ashley! Great work!

Kim says:

Beautiful quilt Ashley, I love the colors! I’d also love to know where you took your photos, it’s such an amazing building.

Rebecca says:

Beautiful quilt! I’d love to know the solids’ names please!

Maria says:

Gorgeous!! I’ve been admiring this collection, and you’ve really shown it off beautifully in this quilt!

Chancy says:

Great quilt! I also would love a quick tutorial for the wonky diamonds…if you have time, of course, being a busy mom and all.

sewkatiedid says:

I’ve had those quilt photos pinned too for a bit and am itchin’ to make a version. I like the colorway you went with and that you always come up with amazing quilting ideas.

p.s. you inspired me with your wonky chevron quilting to get a whole cloth quilt under way that has been basted and hiding under my bed for ages.

Britt-Inger says:

I love that quilt and the colors together are awesome. Could you make a tutorial of the wonky diamonds.
    You are so inspiring

Jayne says:

Love that quilt and the photos!

Connie says:

This is beautiful – I absolutely love that color combination! And those wonky diamonds are great! Good job…

I love it and always enjoy seeing what your up too. I wish that was my house in the back ground…

bonnie says:

love it, i been trying to do a baseball themed quilt and your diamonds have inspired me thanks so much**

vickie van dyken says:

Looooooove it !!!! I am guessing you freehand cut the diamonds then add to them, then square them up??? It just looks like a fun thing to do witn all my scraps, and the Gray :) Well unfortunatly it’s the sky color most days here in the great Pacific Northwest…but I really love it for a neutral. Especially since white never works at my house :)
    Thanks
    Vickie

Joanna Guglielmino says:

LOVE IT! Great colors and design. Fun, fun!
    Thanks for inspiring.
    Joanna

Donna says:

I really didn’t appreciate gray in quilts until I began following your blog a while back. I so love it now. Combining gray with edible brights is brilliant!

The name of this post – perfectly creative. Love it!

Susan Lock says:

LOVE this! I would really love to know the cotton couture colors you used!!

Anya says:

Love you quilt!! And using Shelburne Farms for your backdrop only adds to the beauty!

Darci says:

Yes, pls. I’d
    Ike to know what the solids are

Renee says:

Another great quilt Ashley, I will be stocking up on that range of fabric for sure, great colours and great pattern, really fun.
    Ren

celinum says:

you are my patchwork hero! Really, because of your works I started to quilt. thank you :).

29. Pingback: Feeding the Addiction « divakamidesign

Nan says:

I might have to give this a try! I’d like to know what color the grey/taupe background is though. It’s the perfect choice.

beth lehman says:

fabulous quilting again! love the colors in this quilt, too.

Rina says:

this is awesome! beautiful for a teenage girl!
    love the building in the background

33. Pingback: Crafting the King’s Ransom « divakamidesign