simply solids

I made a quilt out of just solids a year ago. I loved it and always vowed to make another, but as these things so often go, an entire year went by before I got back to thinking of another all solids quilt.

I fell pretty hard for the new Michael Miller Cotton Couture solids, and this quilt is made entirely from colors from this fabulous collection of solids. Not only do they have gorgeous colors, but they are super soft and really nice to sew with.

I have always been a fan of Katie‘s value quilts and especially these two gorgeous quilts made up of half square triangles. I hesitated to make one since I felt a bit eh about making and trimming all those half square triangles. Finally I decided to just go for it, and I’m really happy I did. I absolutely love these colors and the various patterns made with the half square triangles.

And now? Loving the HSTs. There will likely be more in my future (you’ve been warned!)

I bought my Cotton Couture solids from the Fat Quarter Shop, and a great selection of colors are also available at Hawthorne Threads and Pink Chalk Fabrics. (And I do love the coordinating color card, available here or here.)

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to simply solids

Cindy says:

Beautiful quilt!! Your pictures are gorgeous!! I love how the color pops against the dark brown- great choice!!:)

celinum says:

wow! Look great the quilt and the photo! Funny things..write now I am in progress with very similar project. I hope it will be in half as nice as yours. kisses

Suzanne says:

It’s so playful and bright!

Suzan says:

I am participating in a couple of 10″ solid color fabric swaps and now I have a great idea for how to use them. Thanks!! :)

ruth says:

i love this! i definitely want to do a big ol’ solid quilt for our bed this summer. probably just 6 inch squares or something. great job!

Jen says:

Wow! I adore this quilt! The colors are fantastic. Thanks for sharing where to buy the fabric!

Cynthia says:

Wow it’s just gorgeous! You’ve inspired me to try hst’s! :D

Wendy says:

I love HST too. You can do soo much with them. I love the solid colors your quilt is beautiful. I just might have to go get to work on a HST quilt I started a while ago.

sewkatiedid says:

I LOVE myself a hst. Can’t wait to see how you quilt it or what you put on the back!

I am using cotton couture too and love sewing with them. The softness is out of this world. Not a million miles from voile in fact.

Marie says:

Spectacular! I’ve been eying the Michael Miller solids of late and this just confirms why. What size are your squares?

Rossie says:

So gorgeous! Those colors are wonderful!

Emily says:

I LOVE this quilt! I was at my printer’s a few months ago and saw an image that I absolutely fell in love with and vowed to make a quilt out of it. Apparently you read my mind because that quilt is EXACTLY what it looked like. I may have to follow in your footsteps and make one of my own. :o)

Lovely! And well done on the HST trimming – I am stuck in trimming hell at the moment with my Liberty quilt.

kristin says:

these colors are total eye candy – GORGEOUS! i love HST solid quilts; my eye just dances around them. katie’s versions are some of my favorites, too.

georgia says:

Simply beautiful!

Annabella says:

Oh it’s just beautiful! Love HSTs. Love solids. Gorgeous!

Franziska says:

I like how cheerful it is. Would make me happy to look at it every day.

Liz Horton says:

I love it! Is there a color pattern, or do you just play around with where the colors go until it looks just right?

Sue says:

That is BEAUTIFUL – I just might have to add this to my “To Do” list. I will try these solids also, really like the hues those come in.

Munaiba says:

Great quilt and seeing it with that charcoal background of the house makes me think a charcoal border would look great on it.

Brandy says:

I love what you have done with your solids. I’ve seen other renditions of this quilt with solids, but your color choices are beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Stunning–quilt AND photos! Lately I have been doing nearly everything in solids.

That’s a quilt I’ve always been drawn to as well. Seems like a really pleasurable experience and always a sure win in solids. Enjoyed your lovely pictures!

Clover F says:

Really gorgeous colors. How did you decide which colors to use?

Gladys says:

I plan to try one of these solid color quilts. They are stunning!

Jolie says:

The combination of HSTs and Cotton Couture just seems heavenly! I’m another who’s been wondering what CC was like (no irl quilt stores near me. sob) so you’ve officially tipped me over the edge!
    This top is divine – like, lick-the-screen delicious! (i resisted, just! haha)

Bennett says:

This is a beautiful quilt! I just love its simplicity. Did you keep track of the color names? I love the taupey grays. Do you mind sharing which colors they are? Thanks!

Michael says:

I second Bennett’s requests. I’d love to know some of your color choices.

Thanks!!!

33. Pingback: FITF: taking stock… | Film in the Fridge

Megan says:

Hi Ashley, I just wanted to let you know that I’m using this quilt (and one of your photos) as an example of sewing with solids on the Pink Castle Fabrics blog. It will be in a post on Michael Miller’s Cotton Couture solids. I’ve included a link to this blog post and your blog as per your CC criteria. Hope that is all okay! Please email if there’s a problem. The blog post should be up sometime next week: http://www.pinkcastlefabrics.com/blogs/news

Thanks! (And it is a gorgeous quilt, I love it).

Amy says:

I also would like to know the colors, if you don’t mind sharing. I am totally in LOVE with this quilt and am so color challenged I need a little help. I’m scared to do color selections like this online! Maybe one of your sponsors would set up a FITF Simply Solids custom bundle?!?