Liberty minis!

Continuing with my quest to use my hoarded Liberty fabrics, I made up another two little quilts recently. This quilt design was completely inspired by this photo from the Purl Bee. Their post and photo shows Liberty used for a cute matching memory game, but that photo just jumped out at me as a perfect quilt design. I’ve been thinking about it for a while, so it was really fun to actually sew it up and see it as a quilt!

I used 4″ squares of my favorite Liberty prints, paired with two neutral solids – the off white is a Michael Miller cotton couture in bright white  and the skinny sashing is a Free Spirit solid in pearl. I love the two neutrals together and I love how that skinny sashing sort of imitates the shadow from the photo.

(one washed, one unwashed!)

I used some straight line quilting in an offset diagonal grid, hoping to highlight the Liberty squares.

This little mini was made for a friend who also shares my love of Liberty, and who has also been so encouraging and helpful when I decided I wanted to learn how to knit socks (even though I had absolutely no idea how to even start!). I’m pleased to say that I have one sock finished, even though there were several times when I wanted to just quit and go buy socks! Thanks to Amanda‘s enthusiasm and encouragement, I got through it and now I’m can’t wait to start a second pair! Thanks Amanda!

Anyway, it’s been so fun to sew with these little pieces of Liberty. And I particularly love the fact that it only takes a few small pieces to create a fun Liberty quilt!

This entry was posted in baby, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Charm Quilts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Liberty minis!

I have some Liberty I have been hoarding, too. I really love how these turned out…may haveto pull mine out!

Suzanne says:

I learn so much from you and your pairing of fabrics. Those are lovely little quilts. Congrats on your socks. Having knit many pairs myself, I know what an accomplisment it is. Don’t you feel smart having turned a heel?

I love the sashing/framing you did on these! I have been in a rut of using white sashing on just about EVERYTHING and this has encouraged me to go outside of my comfort zone! :)

carla says:

they are so pretty! Have fun with your 2nd sock. Somedays I wish we only had 1 foot : )

elsa says:

I’ve got 2 little bundles of Liberty and some scraps on the way ~ this looks like a nice way to put them together, tho I’m loath to cut them.
    Happy knitting ~ socks were my very first project (a really long time ago) and I still have them!

randi says:

Oh, I do love the use of the two solids on the front. Very pretty quilts!

Beth says:

Fabulous quilts! The Liberty really shines in these. No doubt your friend will treasure her mini. Smiles~Beth

Brooke says:

I have an all out obsession with Liberty fabrics. What is that about?? They absolutely SEND me over the top. I love this design. The use of two neutrals was brilliant. The green backing is great too. You did Liberty very proud! :-)

Megan says:

Congratulations Mrs. sock Knitter! These quilts are such beauties, Amanda is going to be over the moon for that mini :)

Hallie says:

I just love the use of two neutrals. Very stunning! Thanks so much for all the inspiration you give to the rest of us thru your blog….oh, and congrats on the socks!

Nova says:

I am loving seeing your liberated Liberty creations Ashley :) Congrats on the socks! x

Leigh says:

You are amazing! I love the combination of fabrics you continue to make fresh and new!!

Meg says:

I have to say it…you had me at Liberty!! I love what you did with the neutrals and how the whole design highlights the gorgeous Liberty!

Mary ann says:

Gorgeous quilts. I took some of my liberty, hooped it and have it hanging on the wall in my guest room. Every trip down the hall I get to admire them. Now you given me some more inspiration on what to do with my precious Liberty stash. Thanks!

Munaiba says:

These are really gorgeous. Well done!

Elizabeth says:

I save my liberty scraps and try to use every piece. : ). I do like min quilts, yours are darling!

lynn says:

beautiful beautiful beautiful!

Claire Jain says:

LOL! You are definitely fueling the Liberty love after QM with these cuties! They’re so cheery :-)

I recently got my hands on some of the upcoming Liberty quilting cottons, and boy-oh-boy am I excited to get quilting with them. Thanks for sharing your beautiful quilts!

Marilyn says:

I am so in love with what you’re doing with your Liberty prints! Using the two neutrals is brilliant and adds an unexpected layer that is GORGEOUS!!

21. Pingback: A Quilt (and shower) for Kirsten and Baby Moore