patchwork love letters

I’m so excited to show you this finished quilt. It’s a simple design, these patchwork squares, but I’m always so happy with them when they’re finished.

I’m quite in love with the color combo on this one – some neutral Essex linens, aquas, greens, browns and a bit of greenish yellow, all picked to coordinate with the fabulous Melody Miller typewriter print that I wanted to feature.

These are 6″ squares, because the Melody Miller print is perfect for fussy cutting squares of that size. I’m particularly happy that you don’t lose any of the typewriters when fussy cutting – I managed to cut all of the typewriter squares in this quilt from a half yard of fabric.

I decided to quilt it with those same circles that I showed on my Brrr! mini quilt. I like the idea of a circle within each patchwork square, and I think the circles are perfect here, what with all the polka dots, the Laurie Wisbrun Modern Whimsy circle print and even the circular typewriter keys.

I drew each circle with a washable marker, tracing the top of a small cereal bowl (it would have been perfect if the bowl had been just a bit bigger, but I was a little too impatient to find something the exact right size…). I sewed each row in a figure 8 pattern using my walking foot. It was slow going on a quilt this size, but I’m really happy with how it turned out.

For a little extra interest, and because my box of Anna Maria Horner pearl cottons paired so well with these colors, I added a bit of hand stitching randomly throughout the quilt. Just a little something to make me smile when I’m snuggled underneath this one!

The backing is some Essex linen, along with some Kona Stone (when I ran out of the Essex!) and a few other strips and chunks of fabrics left over.  I particularly love that little strip of love letters!

(overly bright iphone photo!)

And how about a little behind-the-scenes photo of my favorite quilt holder-upper?! Morgan certainly deserves extra thanks for this one, since finding a location I deemed appropriate took quite a bit of driving, and then it required him to stand out in the 10 degree weather…

Anyway, this quilt has already been getting some use, most recently as the backdrop for Max’s 10 month photos… 10 months already!

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Charm Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

50 Responses to patchwork love letters

Jane Swanson says:

Max is a beautiful boy! He is even more stunning on your charming quilt! Love the colors!

Perfect background for the patchwork…love the simplicity of the design featuring those typewriters!

Laura C says:

Longtime reader here, but not many comments…but I have to come out of the woodwork for this one! I find the blues and greens of this quilt so appealing. And I LOVE LOVE the circle quilting. I think the bowl you found was a good size! This one is a hit.

Kar says:

I have to agree about the color combo on the quilt. Perfect! A big thumbs up for Morgan and being such a awesome quilt holder upper. Perfect helper he is. Can Max get any cuter? :)

anna says:

i love it! you can’t go wrong with squares, and I’m definitely ready to do a couple square patchwork quilts. I can’t believe you did the circles with your walking foot!! holy wow, I would have gone nuts. :) and 10 months, that is such a fun age.

randi says:

what a wonderful quilt. i love the simple style and the focus on the fabrics!

max is little dreamboat! :)

Lisa says:

Very cute (the baby and the quilt)– I really love those peacock-y colors.

Tara says:

The colors and simple design are just perfect, and Max looks like he agrees!

heather says:

lOVE it dollface!! think i may just have to make one next! ;)

Diane says:

Great quilt, great quilting, great photos and great quilt holder upper…and that sweet boy! oh is he just so so cute! You must be having so much fun everyday.

Molly says:

those colors look so pretty together. the typewriter fabric is on of my faves – so cute!

Liz says:

I love this quilt! Gorgeous, but not quite as gorgeous as the baby you made! :)

Katy says:

Loving the fussy cut typewriters I have a half yard of these that I’m hoarding until I find the perfect project(s). Full marks to the quilt holder too!

Freddie says:

I love blues greens and turquoise, so I am sold on this quilt. Your little quilt model is very cute and the big one very brave, that is seriously cold.

Max is adorable! 10 months already! Love the quilt and the simple patchwork pattern is a great choice. Those colors are so soothing. Wonderful job!

The quilt is gorgeous. I love how you combined the fabrics. And Max, well he’s precious, and the perfect quilt model.

Laura Capps says:

Love this quilt!!! The colors are great. And your little Max is so cute.

Kim T says:

Gorgeous quilt! love the colors and the different pattern scales you combined, and love those typewriters!

Absolutely stunning in absolutely every way. Love it!

Kirsten says:

This is one of my favourites of yours – love the colours and those typewriters are so cute!!

What a great quilt. Max’s photo is adorable!

Marieke says:

The quilt is lovely (and Max adorable)!

Do you pre-wash the linen blends, such as the typewriters, when you use different fabrics such as in this quilt?

Oh that is gorgeous, I love the colours you’ve used.

Carolyn says:

I’m so jealous you got a hold of that typewrite fabric. Everywhere I look no one has it.

It’s beautiful! I’m particularly found of patchwork these days!

Claire Jain says:

I love this quilt and the typewriters. I need to suck it up and buy some.

Jill C. says:

This is gorgeous! Love the colors, the typewriters, the quilting, super cool. Cute little guy you have there!

carla says:

so precious! The quilt is lovely too. Where can a person get some of those typewriters?

Emily L says:

It looks great! I love it!

Lindsay says:

I love the colors in this quilt and the typewriter print couldn’t be cuter.

sewkatiedid says:

I love charm quilts and always have one planned in my head the minute I finish one. This one is my favorite color combos. I’ve had to resist buying the fabric and stick to my stash.

Linda says:

I love the quilt….perfect as usual! But I love those faces even more…8-) Hooray for Morgan, and I can’t believe the adorable Max is 10 months already. I bet he is cruising around getting into EVERYthing…lol. Give him a big kiss for me(and one for Morgan, too)

xo

Kathleen15 says:

What a charmer that little one is. And I love your color selection!

Shawnna says:

I love everything about this quilt! The colors, the simplicity, the baby! :)

Love your blog. I tried out your paper pieced string quilt tutorial this weekend, and am now obsessed with making a string quilt! You made it so easy.

Thanks for sharing all your beautiful work!

Cristin says:

I love love love this quilt! My fav colors, combined with typewriters… can’t find that anywhere else, I’d say! Max is getting so big – sometimes I wish I could just pause time for a few days, or a week. sigh….

Lori Kae says:

I adore this quilt and Max is such a little angel. :) I love the color combinations, pattern textures and quilting–perfect! Have a beautiful week! :)

It came out great, Ashley! Thanks for sharing with us about the problem of finding a photo location. It can really be chore to search it out and patiently try this and that. These husbands of ours do deserve credit! Good job, Morgan.

Danny says:

THis turned out so pretty! I follow by email so I don’t post comments very often, but I just wanted you to know how much I look forward to your posts! You always have such fantastic creations to share!

Patricia Rawles says:

I absolutely love the colors of this quilt!!! And you helper sounds awesome and Max is adorable! I found you string quilt block tutorial and it inspired me to start my first quilt. I was telling my 98 y/o grandmother that I was starting my first quilt and how I was going to do it and she told me that she remembered her mother piecing a quilt with this method….talk about cool!!!

Tracy says:

Love the figure 8′s! I have been looking for walking foot quilting designs, thanks for the inspiration. Adorable quilt and even more adorable booba modeling.

Tammy Vasser says:

Absolutely LOVE your quilt. What a great way to incorporate those wonderful typewriters into a quilt. Thank you for sharing!!

Jennifer says:

This is my favorite of all your quilts. It is so beautiful. Well done!

Sally says:

That is a really pretty quilt. I love the blues. I especially like the type writters.

Lindsey says:

Love what you did with the Melody Miller fabric!

47. Pingback: FITF: a whole cloth baby quilt | Film in the Fridge

I love this sooo much. I bought fabric to emulate it! I was wondering if I could use one of your photos with credit and link back to you of course, on my blog and do a post about inspiration for quilts. Thank you.

Nancy says:

Wow! 10 degrees. He’s a catch. Better be good to that man. He makes purty babies, too. N

jenny carruthers says:

oh I absolutely love this quilt!! It is amazing!!