lotta charm quilt

I’m so excited about this new collection, Echo, by Lotta Jansdotter! I received a charm pack a couple months ago and immediately wanted to use the prints in a quilt.

Of course, a charm pack doesn’t provide too much fabric, so my goal was to use the few charms yet still create a decent sized quilt top.

I added in a few solids and some coordinating prints and made up some wonky blocks featuring the Echo charms.

I’ve been waiting for yardage of this line to come out, and when it did, I snagged some extra for backing and binding so I could finish up this little quilt.

I love this print, and knew that I’d love to see a large piece of it on the back. The quilt is a bit wider than the width of fabric, so I had to add in a little strip of another favorite print.

And for the quilting… some more straight lines. I do love this look!

I quilted most of it with lines about 1/2″ apart. Then I was inspired by some quilting shown in Yoshiko Jinzenji’s Quilting Line + Color book, so I adjusted the needle position to add in some sections with lines closer together. You can kind of see it in the photo below.

I’m really happy with how this quilt turned out! And now I can’t wait to start another quilt with some more Echo!

Echo by Lotta Jansdotter can be found at many shops, including Pink Chalk Fabrics, Nido, and Hawthorne Threads.

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Wonky/Improv Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to lotta charm quilt

Megan says:

Oooh beautifuL Ashley! I love what an impact just little bits of the prints made with all that negative space. I’ve got a stack of those fabrics headed to my door today and can’t wait to cut in!

Brooke says:

I strive to be more “modern” in my quilt approach, but I don’t think outside the box enough. This is a really fascinating use of a charm pack. I love what you have done and the amount of white on this quilt REALLY highlights those charms. This is great.

WOW….that scenery where you photograph your quilts is really something. You are one lucky girl to call that home. Please don’t take that for granted this time of year (says the girl who lives in a crowded, ugly city). :-)

The backing you chose makes me want to clap my hands. Ha! LOVE IT!!!

Kathleen says:

Yes. This fabric the colors and design are great. You did a greatjob as always.

Kar says:

I think it turned out great! You used the charm pack well. And the backing is great with the wonderful teal and black. :)

carla says:

Gorgeous as usual! I always look forward to seeing your next quilt!

Katy says:

OMG, I LOVE THIS! The line looks fabulous, and you’ve showcased it wonderfully! Love the quilting you’ve done too :o)

I love everything about this quilt. I have pinned it so I can use it as inspiration

Pétra says:

Have I mentioned in a previous comment how envious I am of your charms?! I love how you used them in this quilt and I love the variation in your straight line quilting.

Kelly Irene says:

The wonky blogs work really well with this fabric! Beautiful quilt :)

Alli says:

Your quilt is so cool! Super, super neat! :)

Liz says:

Lovely! I picked up a couple of FQ bundles of that line at Nido when I was there this weekend. It was a delightful splurge.

Love that variation on straight-line quilting – gives it some nice interest!

Karen says:

This is so very pretty!! What a great fabric line. As always, you have shown it of beautifully!! Bravo!!

Beth says:

I absoulutely LOVE this quilt…it inspired me to snatch some of my own Echo prints which I have already received (yay!)Smiles~Beth

nicke says:

it is gorgeous! as per usual. i LOVE the quilting ashley!

Elizabeth E. says:

Terrific quilt and terrific use of fabric. My version of your Rubrik’s Cube quilt came back from the quilters on Monday, so I’ve been thinking about you and your creativity a lot.

Fun to see another quilt!

LeAnn says:

Love your interesting use of those beautiful fabrics — AND your straight line quilting!

tisha says:

Love it. I have already picked up some of the fabric and can’t wait to get started on something with it.

Allison says:

Love the charms and the straight line quilting. As a beginner quilter (who reads your blog daily), can you give advice on straight line quilting like that? Do you quilt each line in the same or opposite direction as the last? Do you start in the middle of the quilt and work one end of the quilt, then the other? Thank you! You get an amazing amount accomplished and are truly inspiring.

Rachel says:

Absolutely gorgeous! I just received my bundle of Echo. The hard part is deciding which quilt to make! Wish I could get my hands on a charm pack though. It would save me some cutting!

I adore your straight line quilting. :)

texheks says:

love this quilt! The fabric is fabulous… but the way you used this charm pack is even greater. Wow

Madeleine says:

I love the way you framed the charms. And I love, love your quilting!

Shannon Lowe says:

Wow! I am totally inspired now! I just bought some of this fabric yesterday having no idea how I would showcase such lovely prints and now, after seeing your beautiful quilt, I want to go play with my fabric! Also, love, love love the quilting! :)

pinkkrystal says:

Max is too darn cute! I think y’all are in for it….he’s gonna break a lot of hearts. Congrats on a beautiful little boy and a wonderful sewing talent!! So blessed :)

saw this on MDQ. Gorgeous! What a great way to use a charm pack!

Greta says:

Perfectly done. You are such an inspiring (and productive) talent!

Christine says:

I love this quilt, and the images of the region where you live really puts value

Pam says:

I absolutely love everything about this quilt. It’s just amazing that you did this with a single charm pack. You are an inspiration. I recently splurged and added a complete fat quarter bundle of Echo to my stash because it’s my favorite new line!

Colleen says:

Hi, can you recommend a few tutorials for the quilting stage of a quilt? I especially like the straight line quilting on this quilt.

Thanks and I love your site!

Your Lotta Charm Quilt is wonderful. It has been the source of inspiration for a quilt we are making for charity. See this link http://juliagraber.blogspot.com/2012/07/the-blue-chair.html

And now our quilt is finished. We are calling it “Dare to be Unsquare.” Thank you for such wonderful inspiration. We really enjoy your work and blog. Sincerely, –Julia and Emily

jody deschenes says:

perfect! i always think the same thing about charm packs – i want a whole quilt out of this! maybe Comma will become a version of this… (:

33. Pingback: SHOW US YOUR (GLIMMA) STUFF! | Lotta Jansdotter