triangles!!

I’ve had this design on my mind since this season of Project Runway started. I can’t find an image of it now for you, but there’s a wall behind the couches they sit on while waiting to see who’s in/out that has a fun pattern. After that initial show, I quickly drew up this little sketch to remind myself of that wall -

(Clearly drawing is not my strong suit – it’s a good thing the drawing is only meant to serve as a reminder for me!)

I originally sewed together lots of my scrap strips for this very project, but then got distracted by my scrappy zig zag quilt. Luckily there were lots of extra scrap strips left over, so I started putting together these scrappy triangles.

The photo above shows the layout I like the best (though there are lots of fun layout options). I still have to figure out how large to make this… in order to go bigger, I’ll have to pull out the scraps again. It’s fun to be able to use up your scraps, don’t you think?

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

50 Responses to triangles!!

Susan McKey says:

I LOVE those triangles! they look like flags you might see at a shipyard or a fairground. I might need to whip up some for pillow gifties!

Kerstin says:

This is absolutely fabulous! I think I have to steal this idea and make my own triangle quilt!

Dawn W says:

Love it! … tutorial coming soon? :)

Jeannette says:

I’m seeing lots of those types of triangles lately! I love that they are scrappy. That’s going to be a gorgeous quilt!

KellyS says:

I love this! I can’t wait to see the finished project and hope for a tutorial also. We don’t ask for much, do we? :)

Lalobe says:

I like your zig-zag layout best. But…when you turn the last layout you could make a Christmastree-quilt ;-) I´m planning to make one this fall and now I like the idea of scrappy trees. Hmmmm… :-)

MeganAnne says:

oooo I like the one you like the best too! I love the way the white space creates a zigzag. What a fun use of scraps.

Katy says:

Cool, love the scrappy triangles, it looks like rows of banners waving

Annie says:

Very fun triangles! It does look like a buncha possibilities for layout are possible. What came to mind for me would be to lay them out all going in the same direction then go back and turn one opposite here and there throughout. I really like this idea!

Betsy says:

Have you considered “hanging” all of the triangles int he same direction, but off-setting the rows? I think this would give it a very fun bunting look that is less symetrical.

carla says:

Yes it is great to use up scraps. I tell my husband “this was all scraps so the quilt was free”. (at which point he rolls his eyes)

Jamie says:

I really love this use of scraps! Super cute.

LOVE this! Dang..Now I’m going to have to bust out the scraps! I have a few things brewing from things I’ve seen on tv as well. My kids think I’m crazy when I tell them to pause the tv so I can take a picture of the screen. :)

This is so fun and scrappy!! I love that your were inspired by Project Runway. : )

Alissa says:

Love the quilt and love that watching Runway inspired it!!

Crystal says:

I like it with all the triangles in the same direction. It reminds me of pendants. Like a fun day at the fair.

emily curfew says:

AWESOME!! love this idea! you have the best scraps, too!

I love the triangles too! I watch PR every week and missed that design but will now look for it for sure!

Heather says:

So striking! Love it! Very much! I’m a beginner quilter and I know you just came up with this on your own. If there was a tutorial to get me started on something like this, I’d be thrilled. I’m not sure I should be considering triangles, being new at this. Doesn’t that involve a bias edge that might be a little more challenging than I’m ready for? Or is this something a beginner could easily master? Just wondering because it is so dang lovely!

Sara Hill says:

I love this simple but attractive design, especially the zigzag. But I wish there were an easier way to make the scraps just miraculously sew themselves together!

Suzanne says:

It’s fun to see the triangles and the various layouts. Did you foundation piece to a triangle shape or sew in long strips and then cut into triangles?

Pinkying says:

oooo!! I love the one where the triangles run in one direction in one row, and then run in the other direction in the next row! very nice!!

Dalya says:

Love this pattern! I love how the trips are different sizes, makes it more pretty! I have a huge bag of scraps and haven’t really worked with them much, lol! :)

Andrea says:

I just love your sense of color, you make the best scrappy combos!

LeAnn says:

WOW!! What a striking quilt that will be!

Kathleen15 says:

You are amazing! At the top of my blogger list! I love this, the colors are fab. You’re a creative genius.

Marianne says:

I love this! It’s so happy, like pennants flapping in the breeze! A great quilt for using up those leftover scraps.

Melanie says:

I love this! I might have to use this idea next year to use up my scraps! Love that you are able to find inspiration everywhere!

Liz says:

Love this! Will definitely try this out on my scraps which threaten to overtake me at any moment!

Leisa says:

Love it! You did it again!! Thanks for sharing. What a great idea.

Tonya Albers says:

Awesome – just love this quilt! I too hope that you put up a tutorial for this :) I know exactly which art you’re talking about on Project Runway – I’ve been admiring it too!! :)
    I see you have some of those awesome dandelion fabrics in the strips and I can’t remember where I put my note where I wrote down which fabric line it is… Whose is it again? Thanks so much!! :)
    You are such an inspiration to me~

nikki says:

I love these triangles, and since we are at the marina often they look nautical to me. I would love to see them on a curved line as if blowing in the wind! Your creativity is is so limitless. I am always excited to see your next project. Kudos to you!

melissa says:

i’ve been an admirer for a long time…and you were the one who inspired me to start quilting! i’m currently in the middle of a quilt that i’m needing one more orange fabric for!! i know these are scraps…but is there anyway you know the name/designer of any of the oranges in here?….like the orange ones with white flowers…and one that’s white with orange ovals? those would be perfect and help me so much! thank you!

Marie says:

Gorgeous! I love the middle one best.

I like the middle layout best too. Fun! Those pieced triangles remind me of the wonky pinwheel triangles I posted earlier this week. Great minds think alike ;) Yes, I love, love the feeling of using scraps!

Charlotte says:

That looks gorgeous – I love the bright colours

Tamar says:

Ooh I like it! I’ve been thinking of a string quilt for a long time and I really like this twist on it.

Nicole Gendy says:

I really like this idea to use up my scraps. They are overtaking my sewing room!

Kathleen says:

Will you be putting together a tutorial? Having trouble figuring this out feeling triangle challenged

Lou says:

Awesome way to use your scrap… love the layout… all of them!!!

44. Pingback: FITF: the next quilt? | Film in the Fridge

julie ong says:

Ooh! Can’t wait to see the finished quilt. It would be a beautiful quilt.

Oh man, scrappy and triangles in one quilt! Love at first site.

Kim C says:

I love the layout you liked best as well. Want to make one of these….. Thanks for the inspiration! I’ve been itching to get the machine out, but couldn’t fathom a “smallish” project I could putter at. This is it!

Val S says:

great quilt. I am a fan of scrap quilts.

49. Pingback: FITF: a few more triangles | Film in the Fridge