fancy katie at the fairground… a picnic quilt

Kind of a mouthful! This is the start of what will hopefully become a large patchwork picnic quilt. I’m sure I’m not the only one thinking it would be fun to combine my favorite Denyse Schmidt lines (Flea Market Fancy and Katie Jump Rope) with her new Picnic & Fairground line from Joann’s. I also added in some Kei polka dots, a few Lecien stripes and some American Jane pez prints. It’s bright and cheerful and I think it will make a great picnic quilt.

As you know, I do love me a patchwork quilt, and right now while I don’t have tons of extra time, this is the perfect design. During the past couple weeks I’ve spent a few minutes each day cutting squares out of all these fabrics (in between snuggling with Max and photographing cute baby legs and baby toes!) and putting them up on the design wall. I realized that even though I’ve made a lot of quilts using this type of design, they’ve all been baby sized. I went a little overboard while cutting squares, so I should certainly have enough squares to make up a much larger patchwork quilt. Now onto the sewing and ironing…

This entry was posted in Fabric, Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to fancy katie at the fairground… a picnic quilt

randi says:

i am glad you are finding some sewing time in the midst of mommy-ing! this is a wonderful patchwork quilt!

nicke cutler says:

i love it! i love how all of her lines blend so perfectly! i love the quilt. i can’t wait to see how you quilt it!

elsa says:

I’m amazed that you have the time and energy to do anything! It’s a lovely quilt!

Kelly O. says:

this will be so lovely! glad you’re taking it easy but still enjoying your craft.

Kenda says:

Looks great and great idea! I love patchwork quilts and think it will look great as a picnic blanket.

Traci says:

I can’t believe how awesome they look together!!! It’s gorgeous! (And as an aside, it makes me feel sad that you feel the need to justify making another patchwork quilt, and I feel like that comes from all the blegch going around–feels like I can’t check google reader without being forced to read what someone DOESN’T like. I love your patchwork quilts. I could look at them every day. Make what you like and please don’t apologize for making ‘another’ ANYTHING. If I made patchwork quilts as cute as yours, I’d make them every day and never do anything else! I love that look, and if someone else doesn’t like repeats, it doesn’t matter–because guess what?! THAT QUILT WON’T BE IN THEIR HOUSE. THEY AREN’T MAKING THAT QUILT.)

Deb myers says:

simply darling! what size squares are you cutting/using?

Connie says:

How very colorful! Max will love tummy-time on this under a big tree while Mom and Dad have a picnic. I have been thinking “picnic quilt” too — this fits the bill nicely.

Megan says:

Yeah, what Traci said! And I’m so happy you’ve found a little stitching time, keeps us sane. Isn’t it funny how all the DS lines mix together? I’ve been working on a spiderweb with three of the lines and love how they play off each other.

Amber says:

Shouldn’t you be sleeping instead of sewing with a newborn??? Just kidding. I know from experience how good it feels to sit and sew to take a break from the baby. Everyone especially new moms need to do something for themselves! I love love love the quilt. I adore patchwork squares.

Amy G. says:

I LOVE it! When you say “picnic quilt”, do you mean a picnic quilt for me? As in, you’ll list it in your shop??? Please? :)

Robin says:

Love it. I have to say, I love your blog and your aesthetic. Just finishing up a strip quilt using your tutorial, and it looks fantastic. Thanks! :-)

Janice says:

It’s looking great! I love seeing all the Denyse Schmidt fabrics mixed together. You’ll have fun picnicking on the quilt with Max this summer!

Carolyn says:

we have similar fabric taste—i’m lovin this!
    I read ofter but hardly comment to “HI”

chris says:

this is going to be gorgeous, Ashley. those certainly are some adorable baby toes and legs!! totally worth snuggling with instead of sewing.

Kate says:

I cut and did layout for a patchwork picnic quilt a while back, but when the DS Quilts fabrics came along I realized I’d be heading back to the design, uh, floor :)

Kayleen says:

SO fun! I’m curious; how many of those little squares (and total yardage if you know) are you using for this beauty? I’m still trying to wrap my head around measurements.

Ruth says:

Love this quilt. Sometimes the simplest things are the best!!

Jessi says:

So loverly and cheerful!! The best quilts are the ones you can do in snatches of time between naps and baths…

22. Pingback: FITF: picnic progress… | Film in the Fridge

amandajean says:

i love that you are using a bunch Denyse’s lines all in one quilt. they look GREAT together!