A smattering of Greenfield Hill

Well, no baby news yet, but I do have a quilt to show you — it’s always a great feeling to finish a quilt! No matter how many I make, I always look forward to pulling a new one from the dryer.

I put off quilting this one for a while since it’s on the larger size (and I was feeling too large to attempt it!). But I finally decided to go for it, and I’m so glad I did – it’s fun to have this one finished!

It’s made up of Denyse Schmidt Greenfield Hill fabrics in the Dogwood palette, along with some Japanese polka dots, some Erin Michael Lush, a bit of Cake Rock Beach and a couple Essex solids.

I made up a bunch of these blocks (which you can see here and here) and then decided to play a bit with the layout, setting the blocks on point and scattering them through the center of this quilt, amidst a sea of Kona Snow.

On the back, I used up most of the leftover printed fabrics to create this stacked strip, bordered on either side with more Kona Snow.

I’ve always loved the look of stacked and staggered blocks, and it’s always been on my list to make a quilt top in this manner. Perhaps looking at this backing will motivate me to finally do that!

(love that random triangle!)

I quilted this one with straight lines, echoing the square blocks – quilting on either side of the narrow sashing. I was hoping to leave it like that, but there was too much space between the quilting lines so I filled in with some additional straight lines through each block. And actually, I like it better like this, so I’m glad it turned out that way.

I made up a scrappy binding using the remaining fabrics, and I love how it looks. Typically I’m more of a solid binding kind of girl, but since there was so much white space around the edges of this quilt, I thought scrappy and printed might work well and I’m pretty pleased with the look!

Definitely looking forward to spending some time on the couch with this one!

Previous posts about this quilt:

Quilt blocks post 1
Quilt blocks post 2
Quilt top

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Square-in-Square Quilts, [search] Wonky/Improv Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to A smattering of Greenfield Hill

Suzanne says:

I love how you use every bit of fabric to finish your quilts but they don’t look hodge podge.

Kim says:

I am so impressed that you can still reach your sewing machine!!!!!! You ROCK!!!! That is a beautiful quilt as usual :o)

Missie says:

I have to say that you are my biggest inspiration. I recently started a new quilt with a wonky log cabin style and lots of white space. This quilt just gave me the confidence to finish it. Love it! Here’s hoping for a baby this week!

stephi mortensen says:

your work is amazing! you totally inspire me!!

Flying Blind says:

Where are you getting this energy from!? I want some, and I’m not pregnant!

Fran says:

Even at this stage you are inspiring us in so many ways. Many of us remember just lying around during the final days or weeks. Not you. You reward us every few days with something new and wonderful to gaze at. Thank you. Now, please put your feet up.

Kenda says:

Great job! I love the quilting on it

Karee says:

a work of art. love the quilting that visually echoes your design. niiiiiiice.

Terri says:

I love these blocks so much more now that I see how you laid them out on point. I love the randomness of this quilt, and the reversibility with those cool stacked coins on the back too. Very well designed!

Good for you! One to enjoy looking at in the coming weeks.

Kelli says:

I haven’t been a fan of the Greenfield line even after people said they liked it so much better in person, but honestly, I love what you did with it. It’s like it’s just enough of it to show off how good it can be, but not so much in your face that your overwhelmed. Great job!! And I love the quilting too.

Audrie says:

Just gorgeous! You did a really beautiful job :) And I’m amazed you did all that with the baby belly in the way!

faith says:

I love your quilting style. It is always refreshing and has inspired me to start up again. And I can’t believe that you’re getting so much done at 40+ weeks. Amazing! Qt for you.. do you prefer washing your fabrics before quilting? Thanks!

Alissa says:

I’m still not feeling the Greenfield Hill (even after seeing it in person) other than a couple of the very simple prints, but I LOVE THIS QUILT!! Wonderful!!! Hope that little baby boy in there shows his adorable (an easy assumption to make!) face soooooon!!

Ruth says:

Lovely colours. Perfect for this part of spring (in the UK at least) where all the leaves are just unfurling out of their buds. Bring on Summer!

Jan says:

This is great. I love the back as much as the front!

tusen says:

I love it! I loved the snowy photos of the top and the finished quilt looks amazing.
    You’ve had such a great idea with the layout of the blocks and the block tips and the bottom and the top are so cool :)

Megan says:

Lovely Ashley! I still haven’t decided what to do with any of my GFH. I love these blocks on point. Now go take a nap under it, baby will be here any minute!

Jessica says:

Love the colors and simplicity! Can’t wait to see the baby, though :)

Meg in CT says:

Love this! I’ll admit, I haven’t loved the Greenfield Hill line so much, but I love the subtle greens and grays against that sea of white. The scrappy binding and those couple of half-blocks at the edges are really stellar.

Tammy says:

I LOVE love love this! I think My Mr might even go for patchwork like this! The stacking and seemingly random pattern remind me of Scrap booking and I love the triangle! This inspires me to try making a quilt!

Lauren says:

I love your quilt! It love how it’s so different on the front and back but everything matches so well. Great job!

Tami says:

I LOVE the colors!!! Great job!

Connie says:

Yep, waiting for baby news here! Your quilt is beautiful — either side could be the front. Can’t wait to see you wrapped in it on the couch with a baby in your arms.

Lana says:

That is so sweet. I love it too. Those are some of my very favorite colors! As I learned from my first baby of three, they just want to stay in a little longer…hang in there and rest lots! you will need it for the labor – and then your sweet new little man will be here sooner than you can blink! Can’t wait to meet him! Now, go REST. Hugs!

Hi Ashley, NO BABY YET??? You need to let that little guy know that he’ll be very comfortable wrapped in warm quilties upon his arrival. Glad you’re keeping busy. You make me feel like I want to sew everyday!
    Best, Wendy

Deb D says:

Love it! You are so creative with your use of fabrics, I’m inspired every time I visit your site! And I can’t wait to read the post about your darling baby’s arrival! Wishing you and your family all the best!

Kathy says:

cool geometry as usual….. never, never would have thought of that smashing combo.

nicole says:

I just love the back, when you get a chance I would love a tutorial on that. Although with your baby just around the corner time is something you will not want to give away lightly. I had my first baby 9 months ago and life is very different now – wonderful but different. Thanks for the inspiration.

Wendi says:

lovely quilt.

Might I recommend a great kids singing book? The Singing Day by Candy Verney. I was singing with my three boys today, and I thought you might like it too. It comes with a CD. I listened to the CD a number of times before I learned the words myself. But once I went back to the book after having listened to it, I found I “knew” the songs. It’s a good way to learn. Anyway… a little random thought.

Alissa says:

Love the simple but artistic approach in this quilt. Is there a formula or “pattern” you follow for these blocks or is it what ever scrap is next?

Christine says:

I love this quilt. For what it’s worth, my son does too. He was impressed (at age 12) with the square set on point and all the white space. Someday I’m going to need to copy the concept, right after I make a string quilt and a few others you have made.

What I really want to know is, am I the only one checking here daily, not just to see what new quilt you’ve sewed, but to see your new baby?

Mary Margaret says:

Ha, Christine! You are not alone!! I’m thinking (hoping!) this posting gap means we’ll get to see the baby soon!

Amanda Jean says:

Hope your baby arrives soon! Those last few days of waiting are trying!

I need to re-visit that warm fuzzy feeling of finishing a quilt. It’s been awhile! Ha!

Kristen says:

We are so amazingly talented. I love everything you create and dream up. Now I have another quilt of yours to covet and drool over LOL
    Hope that baby is sleeping in the fabulous nursery soon!

Kristen says:

ha ha ha – that’s supposed to say YOU are so amazingly talented and fabulous…just thought you should be told again.

Aletta says:

I really really like this quilt. The front AND the back are lovely! Christine, you’re certainly not the only one checking daily to see the baby!!

Wendi says:

I am here every day. :) just can’t wait to find out.

Genevieve says:

still waiting on baby news. I’m checking daily as well. Come on baby!

Deb says:

Here is it April 9th and you haven’t posted since the 4th. I’m guessing you have yourself a beautiful little ARIES baby boy! I’m checking everyday too…

Kellie says:

I just LOVE this….stunning!! <3 Absolutely stunning!