fabric storage baskets

Making fabric baskets has been on my list for months now. We’re using an old bureau for the baby’s changing table, and there isn’t really any extra room on the bureau top for all the extras. So instead we’ve placed a smaller, shorter table next to the bureau and I’ve been thinking it would be a good spot for diapers, wipes, and all those other necessary baby items you want to have at the ready.

I wanted those items contained though, and thought that fabrics baskets would be fun – you know I love to add in extra fabrics to a room whenever I can! I decided to use these gorgeous hand screenprinted fabrics I bought recently from Hitomi (sold in her Etsy shop, Kalla Design)

I first made this shorter square container, sized to fit this stack of cloth wipes. It’s easy to get them in and out, and I just adore those cute little frogs!

Next I made up a round fabric bucket – not quite sure what I’ll store there – for now, some random baby items. I used one of Hitomi’s prints which was printed on a heavier weight fabric and then lined it with this Michael Miller polka dot print.

The bottom got a pop of green for fun. I love the size and shape, and am thinking I might make up another one – maybe to contain baby socks!

The one I was dreading making was supposed to hold diapers and I wanted it to be about 8″ x 15″. I was afraid it would be too floppy since I didn’t have any stiff interfacing, so I put it off for a while. And I’m glad I did, because suddenly I remembered that I had bought an old wooden box at a yard sale a couple summers ago which might be the right size. A quick trip to the garage (to check up on my yard sale stash! sad, I know…Hoarders will be knocking any day now!) found that this box was quite perfect.

All I had to make was a little liner to fit inside the box. Now I have a cute spot to store diapers. We’ll see if we can keep it all this organized (I expect not!). But in any case, it’s nice to get these things checked off the list – at 39 weeks now, the time is running out!

Notes: I didn't follow a tutorial for these storage baskets, but there seem to be lots of great tutorials out there. Here are a few I found which look to be pretty good. Feel free to link to your favorites in the comments!

Pink Penguin Fabric Basket
Vlijtig Fabric Basket
Square-Bottomed Canvas Bucket
Foofanagle Bagsket Tutorial
Ric-Rac Fabric Bucket
The Sometimes Crafter Fabric Scrap Basket

This entry was posted in baby, Fabric, Household Goods and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to fabric storage baskets

Amy says:

Good Luck keeping those Bum Genius nicely arranged in the basket. After the first wash, ours were kept flat piled one on top of the other. (With a squirming baby, you don’t want to have to unvelcro first, you want to grab it & get busy with using it!)

ashley says:

That’s probably very true! Though I’m going to try to keep it organized like this… we’ll see! :)

Annie says:

fabric baskets have been on my to-do list for about 6 weeks and I haven’t tackled them yet!
    I need some for INSIDE my 2 month old’s drawers… because my piles of ‘onsies’ or ‘tops’ or ‘pants’ or ‘pjs’ don’t stay as piles when I’m either looking for something quickly OR when I’ve got a four year old insisting she picks the outfits!! I must get to them :)

I love yours! sending you happy labour vibes :)

(our diapers are kept flat too – though 97% of my stash is prefolds)

Erin K says:

Your baskets are darling and your organization is inspriring.

What I really want to comment on though is: You have Heather Ross diaper inserts! Are you serious? That makes me want to donate all my disposables to charity and pay whatever it costs for a stack of Heather Ross fabric to make my own! ADORABLE. I’ve never been so jealous of a diaper in my life.

randi says:

super cute! you are going to be using those diapers any day now. how exciting!

Alice S says:

Looks great! 39 weeks!!! Very exciting time for you!

Whoa this brings back some memories. Looks like you have a nice pile of Fuzzi Bunz in them there lovely home made baskets. They were my choice some years ago…secretly I still have them, waiting for the next time they can come out of storage. My son is nearly 4 and not in nappies or anything any more. Big up for real nappies! Congratulations and hope you don’t have too long wait till you use them. :)

That all looks so lovely! We’ve got some simple wicker baskets for holding all the toddler’s bits and bobs at the change table (and soon to hold all thenew baby’s bits and bobs too), and now I NEED to make some sweet liners for the baskets too.

Angela says:

mmm, love all of those. I’ve been wanting to make some baskets. On the neverending “to sew” list. :)

Tara says:

So cute! The fabric choices are right on!

Sheila says:

Ashley you are an amazing young woman,I have loved watching you build your nest. The baskets look great. The diaper’s (Nappies in Oz) will be just as easy to grab as you have them, start as you mean to go on. Mind you, little boys often need very speedy attention in that area.:-). Just remember to fold the velcro back on itself when you launder them, stops them picking up all the loose threads and lint in the wash. Good luck with the birth of your son, i am sure you will make a wonderful Mum

Kate says:

There’s nothing that makes the transition to life with a new little one just a bit easier than being organized! Everything looks beautiful. What a lucky boy. Here’s to a happy, healthy delivery for both of you!

Beth says:

Those are all adorable and add such a nice pop of color. With your baby sure to arrive very soon I wish you a quiet yet memorable delivery :)

Jennifer says:

Ashley, you look wonderful! I know you must be excited and ready and that sweet baby is going to have the cutest handmade things. I’ve enjoyed all of your baby item posts as much as your quilting ones. :) That little round bucket you made will be perfect for a tube of Boudreaux’s Butt Paste (that stuff works wonders!) Best wishes for a wonderful delivery.

Christina says:

I LOVE the fabrics! So perfect for a little boy. :)

susyd9 says:

I’ve followed you for 2+ year and have loved everything you make—especially all these little details for your nursury. Wishing you all every good wish!

Erin says:

I simply love these and the fabrics. Great job, as usual!

Linda S says:

Your boy’s room is going to be so amazingly cozy & cute. Boys are so wonderful–enjoy him. Also, don’t forget to teach him sewing & other (not) “girl” stuff. My son (8 now) LOVES embroidery & is really good at it.

I can’t wait until I check your blog and get an update that you’ve gone into labor or that your bundle of joy has arrived. What a great time. Enjoy! Best to you and your man!

Janice says:

It all looks great! I have all the cloth diapers and accessories in a drawer under the changing table for my son, but I may need to make some of these for the baby due in 9 weeks, since I don’t have any drawers! Everything you have made is so cute and thoughtful and I LOVE that you are going to let the baby pee/poop on Heather Ross fabrics. How posh!:)

Jill C. says:

Very cute setup! This baby will be surrounded in style…

Judy says:

Many, many years ago we also used the top of a dresser for the changing table and it worked perfectly. I’ve forgotten how much fun getting ready for baby is!! What are the small squares (looks like Heather Ross fabric on top, terry cloth on bottom)? They look cute. You’ll be changing tons of diapers so it’s great you’re surrounding yourself with fabrics you love. Everything looks so happy. Congratulations.

Emmmylizzzy says:

I have been meaning to make these forever – love how yours turned out! Everytime you have a new post, I think for sure it’s going to be announcing your new arrival – best wishes for a safe delivery and healthy baby!

Those Bum Genius diapers bring back so many memories of when my kids were babies :) I love your baskets!

Fran says:

You have created such a pretty ambiance for your little one and for yourself, too. Such an exciting time as you wait for your family to grow. All the best.

Lisa says:

I hope you’re successful in keeping everything organized. Looking at how neatly you have everything arranged reminds me of how my little guy’s nursury looked before his arrival. I now keep most everything in drawers so that I don’t have to see how easily things get out of place every day. Also, Pete’s older now, so we don’t need as much stuff as we did when he was a newborn.

Good luck for a safe and speedy delivery of your baby bundle!

Beautiful, beautiful! Best of all CLOTH DIAPERS!

Jenna says:

I did the same thing (although I didn’t make my boxes and baskets, next time I will!) It does make a difference to just have the space set up that way. And although my diapers are stacked flat now, they are all color coordinated!

Kim says:

So beautiful!!! I used cloth wipes and found it very helpful to have a bottle of water by the changing table to wet the cloths. I saved the bottle I got at the hospital. It had a pop-up spout. Best of luck.

Chris says:

You have got to have the cutest nursery ever! The prints you use are just fabulous!

April says:

Cloth diapers rule.
    And I know the feeling of discovering that you have JUST THE RIGHT THING in storage somewhere for a project you’re working on. Ah, bliss.

I think you’re a week ahead of me in baby due date. So while I’m pining away waiting for this to be over I’ll have to check your blog to live vicariously through someone who already has their baby. :)

34. Pingback: FITF: 40 weeks… and a peek at the nursery | Film in the Fridge

35. Pingback: storage – Choosing The Right Jewelry Storage

Laura says:

I was looking through some of your old posts – and I came across this one. I was wondering how those cloth diapers are working out?? We are thinking of having a baby soon and cloth diapers seem to be everywhere now … do you recommend them??

37. Pingback: FITF: a preview | Film in the Fridge