handmades in shades of blue…

A little while back Kate posted an absolutely gorgeous baby cardigan. Lately I’ve been obsessed with cute little items that are knit and/or crocheted for babies – there’s something so sweet about babies in handmade sweaters. I know how to knit, though my skills are lacking, but for some reason I’ve never learned how to crochet. But now Kate, and all her gorgeous crocheted things, has me wanting to learn. Lessons from YouTube, perhaps…

Anyway, not too long after leaving a comment on Kate’s post, she generously offered to make up one of these wonderful little cardigans for the new baby. It arrived recently, and I can’t even begin to tell you how much I love this one – it’s made of the most gorgeously soft yarn in this perfect blue color with fabulous little buttons. I just can’t wait to see the new baby in this sweater!! Thank you so much Kate! This one will be treasured forever.

In return, I made up a few household goods for Kate. I spent some time browsing her flickr photostream and favorites and noticed lots of projects in shades of blues, which I’m hoping means it’s a favorite color. I pulled out a few of my favorites and chopped them up into tiny squares. I noticed Kate had favorited several plus quilts, so I went with a tiny plus design on a couple potholders.

I used the remaining printed squares to make up a few coordinating napkins. These are loosely based on the napkin tutorial I wrote up for Sew Mama Sew a while back. I hope these will make a nice addition to Kate’s home!

This entry was posted in baby, Household Goods and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to handmades in shades of blue…

Anna says:

All the items you show today are gorgeous! I love the baby cardigan! I’m trying my hands at crochet from time to time but I’m not very good at it and it takes a looong time for me to follow patterns as I don’t really know what everything is called and therefor constantly have to check to make sure I make the right moves. :)

And who wouldn’t like the potholders and the napkins?

Vickie says:

I love those little blue hot pads!

Peggy says:

If you are looking to take a crochet course this blog http://www.craftyminx.com/ is holding an e-course shortly.
    Hope this helps.

Morgan says:

Those napkins are great!!! Love the colors!

Fran says:

Handmade is the best. Beautiful blues all around.
    What size are your tiny squares?

niki says:

lovely cardigan~i’ve yet to try baby clothes/sweaters.
    i’ve done crochet for years but anything other than afghans and hats makes me nervous. i’ll have to check out her site/and you tube videos.
    the items you made in return are fabulous~you busy lady ;)
    have a great tuesday!
    niki in az

Jessica says:

Love the pot holders! You did a great job on color selection and combination. I’m in need of some new pot holders and need to figure out what to make!

April says:

What an amazing cardigan. My mother-in-law and grandmother-in-law knit up a few treasures for my first baby. And I can’t wait to put them on my new baby in a few weeks.

I admire your thoughtfulness in what you made for Kate. You didn’t just whip something up. You tried to figure out what she liked and THEN whipped something up. ;) They’re really pretty.

Annette says:

That cardigan is lovely! Love that type of dusty blue. I saw it quite a while ago over at Sarah London and then I translated the pattern into Swedish on my blog as so many thought it was so cute. It is very VERY easy to make and so quick too. You should really go ahead and learn the crochet as it is pure joy and yoga for your soul. There are so many You Tube videos that can help you and a number of great blogs. Give me a shout if you want some great links, Attic 24 is a great place to start… I have a crochet book that has become my bible of crochet. It is Jan Eatons “The Encyclopedia of Crochet Techniques”. She has great illustrations and step by step instructions. All I have learned about the crochet I have learned through blogs and Internet and now I am teaching the girls at work as well. You easily get “hooked” once you get the hang of it. And once you have your baby interupting you when you least want to crochet is great as you can do it anywhere and anytime for 5 minutes or long stretches. All you need is a hook and some yarn. Good luck! I am excited for you.

Those kitchen accessories look great! What a nice gift! I have always been a knitter, but 2 years ago I learned how to crochet using you tube tutorials and buying Crocheting for Dummies (that’s how I learned to knit). You will find it SO easy and SO gratifying!

Can’t wait to see what you make!

Emmmylizzzy says:

Those are some seriously cute potholders. Love the colors you chose!

Beth says:

That tiny handmade cardigan is so precious! The potholders and napking ate beautiful and such a nice “thank you” Hope you have a terrific Tuesday!

Kate says:

I’m so thrilled you like the cardi, it was my absolute pleasure to make it for you.

The napkins and potholders are stunning Ashley! Thank you so much, they are perfect and will be much loved here.

I am touched that you took the time to create something in a shade that I hold very close to my heart. Blue is my all time fave.

mandi says:

I love that you “traded” items…I have given crocheting many attemps and its just not my thing lol – I just can get the hang of it. BUT – I definately could trade some sewing with a freind that crochets!

Fran says:

I just noticed the hanger. It made me feel nostalgic as it was the type we had when we were very young. Eons ago.

What a lovely swap – any baby would look adorable in that amazing little sweater!

Sarah M says:

Thanks for sharing about this sweet swap – great stuff! I’m the person who sort of accosted you and Morgan in Stitched on Sunday…I recognized you, from your photos here of course, and just blurted out, “You’re Ashley!” Geez, talk about fan girl geekiness. See, the thing is, you truly have been an inspiration to me. Yours was the first modern quilting blog I read when I started quilting almost a year and a half ago, and honestly, sewing is what’s kept me sane since then. I admire your sense of color and use of space, as well as the gorgeous photographs. So thanks for being incredibly gracious to me the other day. And can I just say, your husband is super sweet! That’s one lucky baby on the way.

Marianne says:

So very sweet! And how very generous! It is such a beautiful sweater.

Kathy says:

Ashley…that so adorable. I mean,like,i would like one for me in grown-up. Yummmmmmy.

Kate says:

How sweet – both of her to make the sweater for you and of you to make something special for you! Love both :)

Sophie says:

Oh the power of craft. I love these napkins (and pot holder) and love the cardie that Kate made for you. Two happy and clever crafters :)