a quick tutorial – the starburst block

You asked for it!

[And now for a word of warning - this tutorial is more about the process I used when putting together these blocks. It may not be the best way to do it, and you might find something that works better for you, but these are the steps I took. Also, please note ahead of time that this particular method does create some waste, so keep that in mind if you plan on making these blocks with your favorite fabrics!

Oh, and one last thing, I'm sure some of this might be unclear, mainly since I wrote it in a hurry before work this morning -- feel free to ask questions!]

Let’s get started! You’ll need a variety of scraps – for 10″ blocks, you’ll need scraps that are at least 6″ in length and a variety of widths. To start, I pull out about 5 or 6 scraps which would make up half the square and I lay them out and kind of visualize the rectangular shape I’ll be making. I’ve been making 10″ blocks, so each trimmed half square block will measure 5.25″ x 10″.

I start from the left side and grab a piece that’s about 6″ long (since the points line up in the center, you’ll need pieces that extend at least 5.5 – 6″ from where the center point will be.The next piece will need to be slightly longer, since it’s on a diagonal – about  7″ or so, and so on. I lay mine out on my cutting mat so I can check to make sure that the pieces will cover the area I need for the rectangle. When you’re starting out, it might help to cut a piece of paper to the 5.25″ x 10″ size and lay your pieces over the paper so you can be sure they’re large enough to cover that area, keeping your seam allowances in mind (I find that bigger is always better, since you can just trim it down to size later!)

Start with the two pieces on the left, and with right sides together, angle the second piece on top of the first and sew, going from the longest part of the first piece and angling down so you have a wedge shape. I recommend that you sew an angle that doesn’t go directly to the point of the first piece of fabric. You’ll want your points to match up about 1/4″ – 1/2″ or so away from the edge of the fabric so that you’ll be able to trim it to the correct size later. (it may help to read through the rest of the tutorial first so you can see what I mean).

Trim the excess fabric and iron seams open.

Add the next piece of fabric. With right sides together, make sure that this next piece of fabric is about 1/4″ away from the point where the fabrics are coming together. This will ensure that your points meet when you add this next strip, sewing with a 1/4″ seam allowance. Trim excess fabric and press.

As you sew the pieces together, you can check to make sure that your sizes are correct. As you can see in the photo above, you should have about 6″ in length from where the fabrics meet at the point, and you should have about the same distance in height.

Keep in mind that you’ll want to make sure that the point where your fabrics meet isn’t on the very edge of the fabric, but rather about a 1/4″ in from the edge, as you can see above. When you trim it down to size, you’ll need this extra 1/4″ for the seam allowance so you can sew the two halves together. (this might not make sense right now, but it will later when you go to trim it).

Continue sewing the pieces until you’ve pieced enough fabric to cover the necessary area.

Trim the block to size. As you can see from the photo, you’ll position the point in the middle and then will trim 5″ away from the point on each edge. Trim the bottom edge 1/4″ below the point (I position the point where the fabrics meet on an intersecting line on my cutting mat and then using a clear ruler you can easily make sure that you’re trimming 1/4″ below that point). Trim the top edge 5 1/4″ from the bottom edge.

And here you can see two finished blocks – you can see that they’re both trimmed to 5.25″ x 10″, leaving 1/4″ below the point where the fabrics meet at the center).

Sew them together, matching the center points and iron the seam open. Since there’s so much fabric meeting right at the middle, it will be hard to iron and there will be a slight bump right there in the center. I used extra steam and pressed quite hard to make it as flat as possible. Your resulting block will be 10″ square.

Stand back and admire your crazy new starburst block! (and then go make a bunch more for an entire crazy starburst quilt!)

This entry was posted in Tutorials and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to a quick tutorial – the starburst block

simone says:

Thank you for the turorial! The blocks look great (o:

kelly jo says:

What an awesome tutorial!! And a great way to either use up larger scraps, or plan a crazy quilt! Very cool! I can totally see these blocks with some sashing between them as for a crazy calm feeling!

shannon says:

this is great, thanks for the tutorial!

elsa says:

really cool tutorial! I’m always amazed at what I think is a really hard thing to do is so easy …
    thanks for the lesson!

Lori says:

ohmigosh! ohmigosh! ohmigosh! Thank you posting this tut! If you can’t tell, I believe your quilt is crazy fun/crazy frikken awesome.
    Thanks again for taking the time to tut.

Great tutorial, I’m absolutely going to start right away, scraps, here I come!

Allison says:

Thanks for posting! Admired it the other day when you posted the finished product and will now start my own :)

Erin says:

Very cool! Love these blocks.

Jeannette says:

Thank you so much I loved your quilt top! As always I admire your fabrics….even if they are scraps :)

Terri says:

This is a great tutorial! I love how simple it is, with the center points coming out just perfectly. Definitely going to try this one soon!

OK -this does look doable. The amazing finished quilt was so unbelievable think I am going to give it a go. Thanks for the tutorial. Carolina

14. Pingback: crazy crazy, or crazy fun? – Film in the Fridge

flyingtrapeze says:

Wait, you work?? I mean, something other than making quilts? You’re kidding, right? How do you find the time? Do you sleep??? My mom and I much admire your blog and photos. Thank you!

Kate Conklin says:

Thanks for the tute. I love how the blocks turn out!

Rae says:

oooh love this! Thanks for showing us how; you always make it look so easy. Now you need to show us a tutorial on how to piece as quickly as you do, haha.

Cool block — thanks for the tutorial

Wendi says:

i love those dish towels you made withe the Tufted Tweets fabric a while back. Can you tell me where you bought your flour sack towels? There are so many brands out there…

Aniza says:

thank you so much for the tutorial….i’d like to give a try.

Rachel says:

These are gorgeous! I love blocks with lots of fabric. Thanks so much for this, I’ll be linking.

23. Pingback: startburst quilt – the munki version | Film in the Fridge

Stephinie says:

I LOVE this! Such a wonderful way to use up my scraps. Thanks for sharing the tutorial :)

Joyce says:

Great tutorial, this is how I envisioned making them upon seeing your quilt! Adding another to my wanna do list!

Teresa says:

Beautiful quilt.You’re bgabgy is goinhbg to love it with those bright colours. Thanks for your tutorial.

27. Pingback: Fun Quilty Finds / Quilting Gallery

Joanne says:

You have made it look so easy.It’s a BIG help. Thanks so much.

Penny says:

Thank-you so much for this tut, Ashley! I love a good scrappy quilt and this one is just wonderful!

Karee says:

Love this! Am thinking of plan as I type! Thank you for the great tut.

Kelly says:

Hey Ashley! First of all, this makes for an awesome looking block…I love it! In fact, I just joined my first bee, and I think this is what I want people to do for my blocks. So I wanted your input on how to divvy up the fabric, because I’m using yardage – not scraps (I always have to make things difficult!). At first, I was thinking of just sending them 8″ squares of fabric, or something like that, but now I’m thinking (especially after I just did a trial run) maybe I should send long strips. Can you give me any suggestions?

• 29
      Mae says:

Kelly,

What did you end up buying (fabric size wise)? I am looking for a pattern for my teenage daughter and she wanted something crazy quilt inspired but with a theme…this fits perfectly, but she wants to choose the colors of her “scraps”‘ so I will be buying new fabric. I’m sure I can figure it out after a trail block, but it would be nice to start collecting pieces now! Thanks for any input!

Mae

32. Pingback: June Bee Blocks, a new quilt forming and lazy summer days |

Bellgirl says:

Thank you for the tutorial! I’ve made and blogged one here: http://bellgirl.com.au/2011/07/sparkly-starburst.html

emily curfew says:

i love this! and have used your tutorial several times. :-)

35. Pingback: August Blocks | Pearlie's Girl

36. Pingback: do. Good Stitches – August : jmday.com

37. Pingback: Free Sewing Patterns: Quilting | married to a bmw

Carole B says:

I’d recently seen this block in a quilt. I want to try it in a wallhanging, but had no idea what it was called (or how to do it). I’m off give it a try! Thank you!

jody deschenes says:

wow, you’re good…getting your point all pointy just winging it…again i say, wow…i’m gonna try it! have had this block on my list but didn’t have a tute to check out – thx!

Meredith says:

I have a baby quilt project with this starburst pattern to begin. I’m actually hoping to make 1 giant starburst, rather than many 10″ pieced together. Another visualization of the quilt that I’m trying to execute is the center of the starburst to be off-centered. Do you have any tips or guidelines to get both halves aligned correctly? …am I making any sense?! Thank you!