a new favorite – a quilt with Far Far Away II

far-far-away2-quilt3

I’ve been eagerly awaiting Heather Ross’s new line, Far Far Away II, mainly because I always adore everything she designs, and this time the prints are on a linen/cotton blend which is really beautiful. I managed to snag a FQ bundle of this new line just before it was available in stores (now available at Superbuzzy & Fabricworm, and soon to be available everywhere) and spent quite a few days admiring the prints and trying to think of a good way to show them off in a quilt. (I love mixing and matching fabric lines, but lately I’ve also become quite fond of making a quilt out of a whole fabric line (unfortunately this one is missing the Sleeping Beauty in Plum). It’s sort of my way of having a visual reminder of one of my favorite lines… though I suppose a photo of the fabric stack would work too… anyway, I digress…)

So, back to the quilt. I tried out a couple things without too much success. I think my main problem was that half of these prints are a larger scale and since I only had a small amount of each, I didn’t have the luxury of fussy cutting the designs. In the end I gave up trying to cut them perfectly, and decided that I’d actually be quite happy just seeing different portions of each design.

far-far-away2-quilt

The design came about as I was admiring my latest Flea Market Fancy quilt. So as I was looking at it, and thinking about how much I really do love the string quilt design (possibly too much, I admit) I started thinking about how I could replace the white squares with the Far Far Away prints and use a corresponding solid for the sashing — a reverse of the FMF quilt, if you will. (Of course, at this point it’s no longer a string quilt, but I still look at it and think of a string quilt.)

far-far-away2-quilt2

So here it is. And can I tell you how much I absolutely love it? More than I even imagined. Initially I thought this would end up being baby sized and consequently would probably end up in the shop, but instead it’s ended up being a pretty nice throw size and now I don’t think I’ll be able to part with it!

__

Notes:

Blocks are cut on the bias -  5.75″ square

Sashing is Kona Snow

Currently it measures about 58″ x 72″

Oh, and the feel of the fabric? Very much like Echino. I think it’s perfectly appropriate for a quilt!

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to a new favorite – a quilt with Far Far Away II

Adrienne says:

I’m going to have to keep this idea in mind for when I decide to cut (yikes!) that FQ bundle I just won. ;)

Alice S says:

LOVE IT! I loved the Far, Far Away original collection and look forward to working with this one too. I wouldn’t be able to part with such a lovely quilt either.

Kristin says:

wow, that is beautiful! I am so wishing I bought that while I had the chance from a co-op! :(

Hey Ashley, thanks for the inspiration on what I am going to do with part of my half METER stack! You got it right! AGAIN!

WHATUPDUCK says:

Love it! I just bought a nice stack of Kaffe Fassett that I think I’ll try this way. As always, thanks for the inspiration!

susana says:

It’s gorgeous. So, this means it’s not too thick for quilting? That’s good news. (I was thinking it would be bag-material only, and I may have enough bags, maybe.) Will you use regular batting and all?

Faith says:

See, I didn’t even want that fabric until I saw this! My wallet is not happy with you! LOL

I was actually just thinking about doing something in that design after seeing your reverse design yesterday. Glad to know how good it looks, I guess I will now! :-P

Kristen says:

I really do love the design and how it shows off the print. It has been described as canvas. What does it feel like? Stiff? I really want to buy it, but I am worried about it weight. Thanks for the help!

Jenny says:

It’s just beautiful. Such a simple design but absolutely perfect for preserving favorite fabrics. I think this will have to be my new go-to pattern. Thanks for sharing, as always.

whitney says:

I love how you put all of the colorways in one quilt – they all look so good together! Lovely quilt, lovely photos.

Holly says:

This is fabulous!!! I love the whole collection in one quilt! Great job! =)

This is lovely — perfect way to show off the fabrics.

shannon says:

This is beautiful, I love the design. I see what you mean about how you got your inspiration from the string quilt. This one is set on point, right? But you cut the fabrics on bias so that they would be facing in the right direction? Well, i love it and I’m hoping to try out your directions for the string quilt soon.

Rebecca says:

oooh I love this! beautiful!

Audrie says:

Love how you did the blocks on point! Very simple yet very pretty :)

Brooke says:

Darling! I really like Far, Far Away so I’m sure to love Far, Far Away II. I love the angled layout of this quilt! Just beautiful.

Anita says:

Great use of this fabric.

Megan says:

I’m loving this one so much! It’s going to be so pretty all quilted up. I can’t wait to get my hands on that stuff!

stella says:

WOW !
    thats the idea i search for so long….
    its marvellous !

amy says:

I can’t wait to get mine! I dont know how brave I will be to cut into it though.

euphoria says:

it is BEAUTIFUL!!! I can’t wait to get my hands on this line, I really can’t!

Ellen says:

What a great idea! I have a couple of fat quarter bundles that I can’t figure out what to do with (other than admire them) and this seems perfect. Of course your precision wouldn’t hurt either :)

Terri says:

I didn’t realize these fabrics were available yet! How lucky that you have them and already made a quilt with them. I love the on-point setting of each print and the white lattice-like sashing in between each.

Eeva says:

I thought I would not buy this fabric line at all… but seeing your quilt I´m not so sure anymore. Really beautiful quilt!

drooling….i am definatly drooling!!

Catherine says:

Love the simpl;icty of this! Really showcases those gorgeous fabrics.

lili says:

Oh, it’s gorgeous!

I had these great plans to make a hexagon quilt out of both Far Far Away lines, without realising that the new line was linen instead of double gauze. Do you think I could do it anyway, and just mix them up?

Amelia says:

Gorgeous! What a great way to enjoy those larger prints.

Madeleine says:

Sooo cute! I love it!

alisha says:

I absolutely love this! What’s the advantage of cutting the blocks on the bias? Is it just for appearances or is there some other benefit?

sadieloree says:

just gorgeous!!

chris says:

i am wondering the same as what alisha asked…why cut on the bias rather than cutting the square on the grain?

anyway it’s beatiful!

I just LOVE this quilt! It’s so pretty and is a great way to enjoy favorite fabrics!

36. Pingback: Whip Up Mini Quilts – a review and a giveaway! – Film in the Fridge

Tanya B says:

SO pretty! I am thinking of using the FFA2 for my dd’s “big girl” room transformation …. I just love it.

38. Pingback: far far away 2 quilt (with the registered holsteins) – Film in the Fridge