two new shirts, take 2

This is definitely my new favorite pattern! I tested it out and made two shirts last week and really loved it. So much so that I had to make another couple shirts at the end of last week. I knew I wanted to make the tunic using some Little Folks voile fabric so I picked up a couple extra yards of two of my favorite prints. I used the Little Folks Baby Bouquet in Meadow and followed the pattern for this great spring tunic.

green-tunic

Look at me blending right in with that grass! Last time I posted a shirt, a couple people asked for a photo of it on, and so during a brief break from the rain this weekend, I convinced Morgan to take a few for you. Please ignore my strange poses. I’ve never been good about just standing still in front of the camera – I end up making really strange faces and posing in some strange way (you didn’t see the ones that didn’t make it on the blog!). It must be why I’m typically the one behind the camera…

green-tunic2

Anyway, it’s comfy and I’m happy to finally have a shirt made out of Little Folks voile (now I don’t have to walk around wearing my voile quilt! Though what if I wore this shirt and then curled up under the quilt… now that would be something!)

After having good luck with this top, I decided to make a few modifications to the pattern to create a different look using the Little Folks baby bouquet in berry

ruffle-top2

On this one I used the pattern for the body but shortened it by about 3 inches. I also altered the neckline, giving it a lower scooped neck. I’m glad ruffles seem to be so prevalent these days, because I do love me a ruffle. I added one along the neckline for some extra interest. I also shortened the sleeves and used a little elastic thread along the sleeve edge.

ruffle-shirt

I was a little concerned about this looking like clown clothes, what with that ruffle up by the neck, but my sister assured me that it would be ok if it was low enough. Although I saw my mom this weekend and apparently it immediately made her remember a costume she made for my brother when he was little… (and yes, he went as a clown).

I still love it though. Clown-like or not!

This entry was posted in Clothing and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to two new shirts, take 2

Liz says:

Those look great on you! I’m hoping to make mine this week (I need to pre-wash fabric still). I’m using Little Folks Baby Bouquet Sweet for one, and Far Far Away for another. I love the ruffle too! I’m not a ruffle person but I’ve been seeing them a lot lately and find myself being drawn to them more and more. hmmmm

Megs says:

Ashley they are gorgeous, and the ruffle one is not clown like at all! You have inspired me (yet again) to make one, and it has to be in the Baby Bouquet in Meadow, that Green is just so gorgeous!

WHATUPDUCK says:

I think they look pretty darned cute!! Nice to see you model them because it’s so hard to ever know from a pattern how something will look once you really wear it. The fabrics make them fabulous!

AlewivesGirl says:

Those look so good!

I have a Summer Blouse from the Weekend Sewing book made out of that same Little Folks Baby Bouquet in Meadow…

And I am making a longer version of the Summer Blouse with short sleeves from the Nani Iro double gauze you used for your first Shearwater.

We could be twins!

Janelle says:

Those are so cute! How does this pattern compare to the tunic in Weekend Sewing? I have that book and was going to attempt it, but this Shearwater Kaftan is sure cute too. Any advice on which to sew?

Alice R. says:

I’m so glad you modeled it yourself! Lovely!

Cherie says:

Love them! I can identify with taking strange pictures–my hands always seem to be doing something funny, too :)

Rachel says:

I like the ruffles – good idea! Nice to see a picture of you… I had wondered if you were older or my age (more my age). Keep up the beautiful blog!

OMG, you are too cute!! the green is absolutely beautiful on you, and the ruffles don’t just look great, but they are all the fashion rage right now.

They are both LOVELY! I feel inspired now to make my own peasant top with the voile. It must be dreamy to wear!

Stephanie says:

Beautiful shirts! I love the ruffles.

I only JUST found your blog and I have an off topic question for you — which white Kona solid do you use? Is it the “Bleach” one or just plain white? I am working on a quilt that would LOVE a white backing that’s as white as yours– but it’s hard to tell what’s what when ordering fabric online.

Thanks for any help!

Natalie says:

you do NOT look like a clown! the shirts are lovely. Thanks for sharing! it’s fun to see your clothing creations in addition to your beautiful quilts!

kate says:

Gorgeous tops! Love the ruffle detail x

Jenn says:

My 9-year old daughter looked at the computer screen and said “Pretty!” (She was looking at the ruffled shirt.) Then I showed her the green tunic and we both agreed we would totally steal it if you came to visit. Beautiful work!

Sarah C. says:

Such beautiful shirts! I know you are enjoying them!!!

Suzanne says:

So nice to see your face!

Terri says:

I adore the look of that green voile top! I could see wearing that all the time. Hmm, might have to get me some voile to make one of those too. I also love the modifications you made to the second top, making it a little more dressy and girly. They both look cute on you!

Toni Coward says:

Ashley – LOVE LOVE LOVE them both! Thanks for sharing again, love to see creations from my patterns :)

shir says:

you look great!! I liked the green one, and thank you for sharing

Nova says:

Great work – they are brilliant! I need to be getting that pattern ready for next spring summer :) Lovin’ the ruffles too – so clever!
    x

Danielle says:

Beautiful tops! Thanks for sharing! I have a stash of AMH voile that I have earmarked for some tops, so it’s great to have a sneak peek at what it might look like! Can you please let me know whether you wash your voiles before using? Would love to know. Many thanks, Danielle

Sarah M says:

Great fabrics, great tops. I really like that ruffled neckline.

Junglewife says:

i have the same question as Janelle. I just bought the Weekend Sewing book, and am looking forward to making lots of projects out of it. I remember reading blogs where several people make the tunic-like shirt from the book and liking the look of it. I don’t want to buy a separate pattern if it is going to be very similar to the one from the book. Can you tell us how they compare and which one you like better and why? thanks so much!!!

Veronica says:

I love the ruffle shirt. What pattern did you base it off of? I want to make one.

Tuesday Mom says:

I love the green one! The fabric is so pretty and the pattern is something I would love to wear. Great job!

Amy says:

I’m having a hard time locating the pattern but would like to try it out. Do you know where it is available?

Nichole says:

did you prewash the voile? how did you wash it?

Leila says:

I love seeing “the person behind the post.” Thanks for being brave and modeling for us! :) They look great!

Emily says:

LOVE the pics Ash! You have the same pose in a pic I found of you last night! The shirt is pretty….

Rachel says:

Do you remember where you got the pattern for the Shearwater Kaftan?

loreto says:

I like the green. The fabric is beautiful, congratulations for your sewing work and for your blog.

33. Pingback: FITF: spring shirts? | Film in the Fridge

34. Pingback: FITF: a handmade maternity wardrobe | Film in the Fridge

35. Pingback: make it perfect pattern parade: nani iro shearwater kaftan & giveaway! | skirt as top