morgan’s manly(ish) market bag

I really dislike grocery stores. Luckily Morgan doesn’t mind them, and he’s sweet enough to do most of the grocery shopping. Each time he goes, we have pretty much the same conversation. It goes a little something like this…

(me) “do you want to take the market bag?”

(morgan) “um…”

Standing in the hallway, he looks at me and then over at the market bag hanging by the door. (At this point, I should remind you that our market bag has pink butterflies on it).  There’s a long pause, where I’m guessing he’s trying to come up with some reason why he shouldn’t bring it. He’s got a plethora of excuses… either he’s not getting a lot of stuff and plans on just carrying it, or he thinks we need another paper bag for recycling, or sometimes he just hesitates long enough that I forget and he can slip out without it.

It all boils down to this though…  “it’s too pink. And it has butterflies”.

m's-bag2

So…problem solved. Not a bit of pink. And no butterflies.

I’m pleased to say he used it, though somewhat begrudgingly. (apparently those stripes aren’t very manly either…)

m's-bag

This entry was posted in Household Goods and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to morgan’s manly(ish) market bag

I love the manly-ish market bag! Too bad I have a “no husband in the grocery store” policy. He spends too much $$$. :) Keep up the good work!

randi says:

I’m with April. Can’t take my man or we walk away with no money. Somehow he sneaks all kinds of stuff into the basket!

Great bag! And it’s supremely manly. :)

Terri says:

My husband Dave does all our grocery shopping, so I wish I could get him to carry a handmade tote bag instead of bringing home all those plastic bags! I will have to show this to him to see if he would be willing to try.

sarah says:

I agree with April and Randi – My husband is all but banned from grocery stores. He can’t stick to the list and gets lost in the cereal aisle! Love the new bag. If you husband decides he doesn’t like it, I would carry it :)

Mel says:

My husband sticks to the grocery list but instead of buying two tomatoes when the list says two tomoatoes, he comes home with seven. I calculate exactly the amount of things I will need to keep us on budget and to prevent rotting food before the week is up. He’s slowly coming around to this idea. Needless to say I don’t send him very often. The times he has gone though I’ve handed him whatever random bags I can find: the hot pink duct tape bag, the purple reusable tote, the flowered one from my mother-in-law and he has taken them with no complaints!

Christina says:

My husband hates taking the reusable bags too! And ours are very neutral. Recycling doesn’t look cool enough I guess. I like the prints you chose.

Metanoia says:

Apparently what women think is manly usually isn’t according to my man. I found material he accepts for a quilt for our bed, but I am still yet to find a pattern I can run past him and have him accept… gah! men!

Megan Presley says:

Oh, is there a certain pattern you used for the market bag? I like the size and shape of it! Very different from what I’ve made before.

My husband is SOO much better at grocery shopping than I am. I think he would probably really like this. He HATES it when they put two items in a plastic bag so he tries to bag things himself.

aseemlylife says:

If I were a guy I think I would like a bag with nothing on it. Just plain. No statement about anything.
    I think your bag is just fine but I don’t think my husband would use it either.

Heather says:

now that cracked me up this morning!! he sounds like my husband ;) but… boy do i need me some fantastic bags like that one… really cute!!

Rossie says:

That’s funny. My dad is the grocery shopper (my mom can’t stand any kind of store). He has the off-white canvas bags that the Food Co-op sells. You know, he’s been using those for 10+ years now…think of all the plastic and paper he has saved!

Brenis says:

LOL you made me laugh this morning!! I am reading, and then see this darling bag with cars on it!! hee hee!! I can see why you say manly-ISH ! I think maybe he needs one with his favorite sports team on it.. or just plain black.. LOL something not so conspicuous! :D But the retro cars are darling!

Zarina says:

Creating for the men is SOOOO difficult. I have a 7yo little people and his mind is so boyish. Anyway, do you mind sharing where you got the pattern (or if its yours, write up a tutorial like your pillowcases). Pretty pretty please

holly p says:

I really need to make some grocery store totes. My husband does the shopping most of the time too so I’ll need to figure out an acceptable manly pattern!

erin says:

make one out of a burlap sack! although, they shed a little.
    like other readers, my hubby can’t go to the store either. he comes home with TONS of junk food!

Audrie says:

Love the market bag… definitely manly-ish hehe I wish my husband would do the groceries but knowing him, I’d end up with nothing we needed!

amandajean says:

that’s a great manly tote. :)

Dorrie says:

It’s a super cute bag! I showed my husband, and he made an eye roll too ( score one for Morgan)~it’s the blue he says, too girly! Never happy! I love it!

Janelle says:

We had similar conversation about our bags too! So I made a solid army green twill bag, unlined for him, with a tiny fabric-scrap squirrel sewn into the top corner. But no, the squirrel had to go before he would use it! Humph. Men.

Amy says:

make a solid gray one for him, bot inside and out. THat is the only way my husband will use a bag (solid color, same both sides). Otherwise, they think it looks like a purse. THe cars a cool, but still too girlie for most men men these days. good luck!

Um, you can do your grocery shopping in one bag? Ah, the days before kids. We use envirosax (I have like 15 of them), but I guess I should say *I* use them. Hubby always manages to “forget” them. And they’re not gily. I bought the geometric ones in black, brown, grey and orange. Not a flower in sight.

aSprinkling says:

:) I have to agree with your husband. The stripes aren’t the most manly. But then, is a handmade bag every going to be REALLY manly?

kate says:

It just men and bags, my husband is the same….you should have heard the debates that went on over baby carriers and baby bags when our kids were little…fun times ;)

lauradodson says:

i’m not sure there will ever be a true manly market bag. maybe plain duck canvas?

Sandi says:

Skulls. Alexander Henry skulls. Or maybe the Camouflage Girls. The problem is they think any bag carried INTO the store equals a purse.

Colette says:

Ha ha love it! I am thinking this will be a father’s day gift for my hubby as he frequently stops at the market on his way home and NEVER uses our girly market bags either. Thanks for the inspiration!

CitricSugar says:

In their wedding gift, I slipped a few camouflage envirosax for my brother-in-law. He carries one everywhere. If I could find zombie fabric…. Boys.

Susan McKey says:

kate is right: men and bags…two things that don’t go together. Men just don’t have a category for bags, like we don’t have a category for keeping everything in pockets.

I really like the bag. Well done, and nice try…

I think the bag is awesome and the blue stripes are not at all feminine. after reading your story about morgan and his bag, i asked dane his opinion on this…and if he would carry the bag. he loved the print you chose and said that if it could be thrown over his shoulder across his chest (like a messenger bag) he would wear it in a heartbeat. then I asked him why it would matter if it was on one shoulder or across the chest either way it’s out of your hands and thats all that matters, right?? no…wrong. he said it would be much more comfortable across the chest and he doesn’t really understand why girls like things hanging off of one shoulder, due to the fact that it is uncomfortable and inconvenient. so now he wants a messenger/market bag…why do i even ask??

Kim says:

Go Morgan! I like your market bag. Suh-weet, Ash!

34. Pingback: a quilt for the wall – Film in the Fridge