moonlight in the trees

I hope you’re not tired of Anna Maria Horner’s Little Folks yet! (I’m not!)

amh-moonlight2

I started this one right after I finished the first version in the playground palette. I cut all the squares, and then I must have gotten distracted by other things, because it sat for a while, until one day when I found myself (Morgan) vacuuming around it, and figured it was time to sew those squares together.

And I’m glad I did, because I think the moonlight palette is really lovely. The blues and purples are not colors I typically use, but they work together so nicely here, and with that little bit of brown… just perfect! (Anna Maria sure knows her stuff!)

amh-moonlight

Once again, this is just a simple patchwork squares quilt, using squares that are 3 1/2″. I like the smaller sized squares for these fabrics, since the prints are a smaller scale as well.

Oh, and look at me using the correct pins for the job! A huge thank you to Anna Maria herself, who was so sweet to send along curved safety pins after seeing I was using straight pins. (thank you, thank you, thank you! these certainly do make the job easier!!)

moonlight-pinned

___

Little Folks voile fabrics purchased from Hawthorne Threads. Dobby dots and voile solids purchased from Fabricworm.

___

This entry was posted in Posts about Quilts and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to moonlight in the trees

Emily says:

I love this color combination. Maybe this is a silly question, but it seems like you are constantly making quilts (I am jealous). How long do you spend on each quilt?

Nichole says:

curved pins are the best. i accidentally purchased them a couple years ago and what a great accident they were!

simone says:

The ‘simpleness’ lets the material come out so well! Beautiful quilt!

bear says:

Another beauty! Would you mind posting about your basting process? I find that step to be the most daunting (especially living in a 1BR apartment)… Thanks for your wonderful blog!

Laura says:

A beautiful color combination!

Heidi says:

The quilt is beautiful!! I love that you have it sitting in a bare tree with a sky that matches perfectly.

barbara says:

Okay what an amazing way to take a picture! I’m always looking for different ways to display my quilts when they are finished! This one is going in the book, and the moonlight matches so well!

PS the quilt is great too!

Maria says:

Gorgeous quilt, gorgeous photos!

Audrie says:

Love the colours! The backdrop is just perfect for the quilt :) So glad you’re using curved pins now hehe I’ve got a large jar of them and I definitely couldn’t quilt without them!

Once again I am in awe of not only the quilt, but the beautiful backdrop.

Wow, Ashley, great photographs! It was so nice meeting you at the LAMQG meeting on Monday. Thanks so much for your comment about my quilt…it means so much coming from you. I just love the way you put colors together and emphasize some with skinny strips of solids. You are so talented and inspiring!

Amy K-P says:

BEAUTIFUL! What a pretty palette of colors!

Tonya says:

I love this so much, it is beautiful. I usually like to look at your quilts for inspiration, but this one I think I am just going to down right copy! I have completely become obsessed with the Little Folks line. I wasn’t that excited about it until I saw it here, and now I want quilts and dresses and tunic . . . everything made from that line.

Colleen says:

Stop it!!! I am just kidding. Your work is truly wonderful!!! Everything I see on your blog I want to attempt.

kate says:

Great pictures! Do you ever wonder if the neighbors know what you’re really doing?

“Oh Ralph, there’s that Ashley woman hanging blankets in the trees again! I’m just not sure about that girl!”

Patty says:

very nice,pretty cool pins too.

Andi says:

Stunningly beautiful.
    I will never get sick of this fabric line!!!

Mary says:

LOVE this color palette, and what a gorgeous quilt top!

Liz says:

Wow! That wasn’t my favorite color palette but seeing it together like that, love it!

I was wondering, could you sure some pointers for someone who has never sewn with voile, or anything other silky like fabric. I’ve recently gotten the entire collection, minus the solids, and now I’m not sure where to start. From what needles, better to sew by itself vs. paired with cotton- anything you think one should know before sewing it? I would appreciate anything you can share on it :)

CitricSugar says:

That top photograph is incredible. I love it so much I refuse to call it a photo. It’s definitely a photograph.

Penny g says:

The photographs are amazing. I like the quilt, but I am not sure how much I would like it without having seen it in the photos.

Terri says:

I do love this quilt and these colors together! So soft looking and calm feeling. You didn’t have quilting pins with the bend in the middle? They are a staple, so it’s good to see you have some now! Makes the basting process so much easier on your fingers!

Tif says:

just beautiful! and i love my curved safety pins too…enjoy them!

Anna Maria says:

Oh I can sleep now. Ashley is not poking herself and risking losing blood on one of her lovely quilt tops. I should state here in public that I really am not paying Ashley to sew with my fabric, but it is certainly a joy to watch!
    xoxo, Anna

Emily says:

Honestly, this is getting ridiculous…..I see the quilts you make and the fabric you use and I practically go right from your blog to the online store, and voila (no pun intended..voile/voila?) ….it’s on my doorstep. Unfortunately for me, I gave up “indiscriminate” fabric-buying, which is what this would fall under. But when Easter has come and gone…my fingers will be clicking away to help the the voile land safely on my doorstep! Really, super gorgeous quilts you are making with this stuff.

Kaelin says:

Anna Maria Horner is my absolute favorite fabric designer, but I was on the fence about buying from this newest line because of the price (esp. after how much I spent on Good Folks and Far Far Away). But all your fabulous quilts have convinced me…esp this one. It relaxes me just looking at it. I was a fool to thing I could resist the siren call of her fabric. Well, I’m off to scour the internet for a fat quarter stack of the entire line…

Luisa says:

Who could get tired of these fabrics? Beutiful squares

Haley says:

Lovely quilt! I’ve never quilted before, but I feel like it’s looming in the future. After seeing all of your beautiful creations, how could I *not* be inspired to try one myself? :)

Kanina says:

Are you selling this one? I hope so, because I want want want it! I could make it but I’m not sure when that would ever happen. So please let me know :-) Its so beautiful!

teresa says:

i’m in love with this one… so lovely

Keithena says:

I love this one!! The Photo is so beautiful! That grey sky behind the quilt top Stunning!!

Colette says:

If I could only ever have one group of fabrics to work with…I would choose those exact AMH ones you used! Really, what a gorgeous quilt!

Sarah says:

freaking LOVE this quilt. i want to make one :-)

saripu says:

wonderful! I fall in love to this fabrics!

Nan says:

That is a beautiful quilt. I love the color combo.

Faith says:

I’m not sure what I’m most jealous of…the beautiful quilt, AMH sending you pins, or that your husband vacuums! LOL

Linda says:

This quilt is made even more lovely by the backdrop. Wonderful photography!

GingerW says:

This isn’t about the quilt, it’s a comment to wish you and Morgan a Happy 1st Anniversary! Hope you have a beautiful day. We are thinking of you both!

Kyla says:

Absolutely gorgeous!!! I love it…the colors flow really well together and even though its not your typical colors i like it. I would also like to wish you and Morgan a HAPPY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY!!! Hope your having a great vacation.