spotted squares quilt… in a twin size

You might recall that I had a request to recreate my original Spotted Squares quilt in a twin sized version. It’s taken a little while to get this finished (twin sized quilts are larger than I realized!), but I’m pleased to say that it’s finally done!

spotted-squares-top

There are a total of 108 blocks in this quilt, and the printed fabrics are each some form of a polka dot (a very loose interpretation of a polka dot, just to make it a bit more interesting!). I’ve always loved this design, and I think this quilt is another winner… and it’s fun to see it in a larger version!

spotted-squares4

For the backing, I went with a lovely shade of blue – a Moda Bella solid in Mist, to be exact – and I added in fun strip of blocks outlined in white.

spotted-squres-back2

The binding is Kona Coal, with a tiny pieced section using Amy Butler’s Sunspots in green. I really love the dark binding – I think it makes the colors on the front really pop, and of course I just love how it looks with the solid blue backing.

After washing, it shrunk down to a near perfect twin sized quilt – measuring about 65″ x 87″ or so. It’s all packaged up and it’s been mailed off to meet it’s new owner, a little girl just moving into her big girl bed. I certainly hope she will love it for years to come!

spotted-squares3

___
Previous post about this quilt can be found here.

Blocks are 8.25″ square. I did 9 blocks across by 12 blocks, for a total of 108 blocks. This worked out to a nearly perfect twin sized quilt.

___

Unrelated, but maybe you can help?… I’ll be going out to California soon (San Diego area) and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for cool places to visit (or maybe great fabric shops I shouldn’t pass up!). I’d also love to take some time to drive along the coast and maybe see a few other cities/towns… anyone know of any great spots or cool places to stay? Thanks!!

This entry was posted in 2010 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Square-in-Square Quilts and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to spotted squares quilt… in a twin size

Raven says:

Soooooo awesome!! What a lucky little girl!

I’m in southern CA. Come up to Santa Barbara and visit me. You can come sew in the shed with me!!
    My friend is a zoo worker at the SD Zoo. She’s an elephant handler….I could see if she could do something for one of my fav. bloggers!! Let me know :)

Oh, and the waves have been HUGE lately, so watch out!!

Francy says:

Oh be sure to visit the Zoo! It is wonderful in SD. Also the Wild Animal Park. Just remember if you are at the beach after sun set take a pair of sweats. I nearly froze when the temp dropped from 109 during the day all the way down to 90 with a breeze from the water.

Have a blast!

Kate says:

Beautiful quilt — square-in-a-square quilts are my favorite! And I love, Love, LOVE the back! The thin white frames are perfect!

Rebecca Ball says:

On another list everyone says you need to see Rosie’s near San Diego. I don’t have any other information about it.

Linda says:

Hi Ashley, I live in the San Diego area. How great that you are coming here!! Our weather has been very warm the past few days, even at night, but it’s supposed to cool back down in the next few days. Of course, compared to where you live, our “cool down” might seem like a heatwave to you. You should definitely visit *Rosie’s Calico Cupboard* http://www.rosiescalicocupboard.com when you are here. She is in a strip mall and from the outside it doesn’t look like much, but inside she has rooms and rooms of fabric. I’ve read reviews that said her staff was “rude”, but I was always treated nicely. I haven’t been there in a while because I don’t get around as well as I used to. As for sites to visit, the San Diego Zoo is always good to visit, or its sister site, the San Diego Wild Animal Park a little farther north and inland a little bit. If you drive north along the coast highway (the original north/south Highway 101, there are several little funky towns to see. Torrey Pines is a beautiful place, then there’s Del Mar, Solana Beach, Cardiff by the Sea, Encinitas, Leucadia and Carlsbad. There are great places to poke around and to eat. You should definitely visit California Pizza Kitchen. http://www.cpk.com/ They have really unique pizzas, and their chopped salads are to die for! My favorite is the Barbeque Chicken Chopped Salad. Their is one location in Fashion Valley shopping center, and another along the coast in Solana Beach. Well, I better stop this, or I’ll be late to work and how will I explain why…..8-) (Oh, terrific quilt, by the way!!)

whatupduck says:

Beautiful quilt! I love what you can do with WHITE!

aseemlylife says:

I’m also from Southern CA. I read where Linda above told you to go. I was going to recommend Rosies as well. There is a great little shop in Temecula, in old town. This is a nice little area. There is a nice winery area in Temecula and the old town is just a nice place to go, shop, antiques and such and find some good food. It’s cute. There is a farmers market there on Saturday Morning. In Lake Forest which is a little north near laguna Nigel there is a really nice shop called Sewing Party. It’s a small shop but she carries all the fabrics that you love. I think it’s worth the drive. There is Material Possessions in Lake Forest which used to be my favorite, but the closed down. I just heard last week that they were opening again in the same place, just smaller. It’s worth a phone call first. It’s not far from the Sewing Party. There is a nice place to stay called Blue Lantern Inn. It’s not in San Diego but in Dana Point, over looks the Harbor. Also in Del Mar which is much closer to San Diego is a really nice place called Laubergedelmar.com It’s very nice and is located close to the beach and a nice shopping area. No quilt shop that I know of right there. There is a favorite eating place called Jakes just around the corner. It’s right on the water. Get ready for some warm weather. 81 yesterday.
    Not sure when you will be here, We have our Modern Quilt Guild meeting at the shop in Temecula, Quilters Coop on the 6th of March. Let me know if you want to come.
    Linda above named some great little beach towns.
    I love the quilt too. Did you start with a plan or just go with it?

Emily says:

Ooooo, I think I like it even better in a twin! I love the little white framing on the squares on the back.

Wendy P says:

I’m a former Californian. How sad that Material Possessions closed! I lived in Lake Forest most of my life!

First advice I can give for San Diego: try to avoid the freeways. TOO CROWDED!

I was going to suggest Old Town in San Diego and some of the Missions for cultural entertainment. You can get some good Mexican food and margaritas in Old Town and there are lots of very cute shops there. Balboa Park if you want to ride a roller coaster on the boardwalk without being in a crowded theme park. Definitely a drive through La Jolla and up the coast to Del Mar, etc. if you want some scenery.

There was a great quilt shop inland from San Diego, called Amidon Quilts in Poway.

Have fun!

amylouwho says:

You must go to Coronado Island and see the Hotel del Coronado. Balboa Park is always gorgeous and just nice to walk around. The botanical garden there is awesome! Just enjoy being outside and eat as much frozen yogurt as you can! It’s everywhere! Oh, the Harbor tours are fun too, as is the drive out to Point Loma (where you can whale watch in season).

I love all your quilts! This one is no exception.

Stine says:

PIZZA PORT!!!!! The best pizza in town. They have two locations in San Diego county (Carlsbad and Solana Beach)…they also have one in Orange county. They brew their own beer and make their own homemade ice cream. http://www.pizzaport.com/

Rubio’s fish tacos are great too! Rubio’s is a chain restaurant, so they have them all over.

I also vote for visiting the Wild Animal Park, a quick hike through Torrey Pines (you’ll probably see dolphins riding the waves here), and an ocean kayak trip at La Jolla Shores is always fun too. If you’re up for some music…The Casbah and The Belly Up are great venues.

I’m also from San Diego and I have planty of tips, so you can e-mail me if you want.

Ramona says:

If you are heading a little bit north, you should go to M&L Discount Fabrics… It’s in Anaheim (near Disneyland & Knott’s Berry Farm. It’s an independant fabric store, so I like that about them, but their fabrics are soooo wonderfully cheap! they have tons of moda, and amy butler, and all the other big names, and they have some cheaper kinds, but they’re all cheap! like, amy butler home dec weight cottons for $8 (or so, depending on how old it is)… their “expensive” new quilting cottons cost about $9/yard, and their older/ceaper stuff is like $3! It’s my favorite store in the whole world, basically, but you need hours and hours to search (it’s one big room, like the size of a grocery store, but with bolts stacked horizontally as high as you can reach! Also, some of the staff is really friendly, and some of the staff is really unfriendly (but they might not speak English, I think they’re mostly Russian) oh, and they have free lollipops, which is why my son loves going with me).
    Of course, you could then keep driving up to Los Angeles (and go whale watching!) and come sew with me!

jenclair says:

What a perky, colorful, and cheerful quilt! Love it!

Its another beauty, Ashley! I LOVE Kona in Coal too!

Laura Allen says:

As a former San Diegan, I recommend a lot of what the others said too. My favorite beach is Coronado. It’s miles of sand and nowhere near as crowded as all the other places and the downtown area has some cute little kitchy shops.
    If I had to pick between the Zoo and Wild Animal park, I’d definitely pick the Wild Animal Park — it’s a more unique experience, although the Zoo really is cool, but big.
    If you do go the Zoo route, Parkhouse Eatery is nearby and really yummy and sort of funky (not a chain or anything) (http://www.parkhouseeatery.com/).
    Point Loma is also a lovely area. You can go to Cabrillo Monument and the Old Lighthouse there (http://www.nps.gov/archive/cabr/lighthouse.html). I think they even do whale watching from there. And, there’s another yummy restaurant in the area, Old Venice (http://www.oldvenicerestaurant.com/).
    The one chain restaurant that I will totally recommend is In N’ Out burger (http://www.innout.com/). They are all up and down CA, but they are SO good. It’s fresh and delicious. Everyone should have one at least once. When we go to SD for visits, it’s the first place we stop on the way home from the airport (there’s one conveniently located in Mission Valley) — YUM.
    I’m not a mall person, but if you feel the need to go to one, Fashion Valley is probably the nicest. Lots of trendy shops like Betsy Johnson and Bebe.
    Do post if you find some awesome fabric shops – I’d love to know where they’ve been hiding.

erin says:

great quilt!
    i lived in SD my whole life… moved away when i was 25. i love going there to visit now! (cuz you always do more as a tourist, than you do when you live somewhere!)
    Sammy’s woodfired pizza! It’s one of my favorites, by far. They have more than pizza, and everything tastes amazing. it’s somewhat classy, but still a laid back place to go. not a greasy spoon. They are in Mission Valley, Pt. Loma and Gaslamp(a cool area downtown). Gaslamp also has a bunch of amazing places… my favorite is Yardhouse!! so yummy.
    Old Town, PB (pacific beach), sunset cliffs in OB (ocean beach) is awesome…. such a pretty place to climb around the rocks to sit and watch the sunset. Coronado is a great place to explore and has a nice beach by the hotel del coronado that isn’t as crowded as the mainstream beaches (and of course, you have to go in the hotel to look around!), La Jolla, mission bay (you can rent sea-doo’s to ride out on the water… so fun!) Sea Port Village (downtown)—all places that would be nice to visit. Sea port village has a hyatt right there that has awesome views. It’s in the sweet village, so it’s cute to walk around, but you are also downtown, so it would be a pretty central location. 5900 El Cajon Boulevard, San Diego, CA 92115. and i saw down the street from Rosies is also DZ Aikens…awesome breakfasts there :)
    you must at some point go to a hole in the wall taco shop. Carne asada burritos, rolled tacos, etc. if the storefront looks rundown and tacky, it’s probably delicious and legit! lol
    i moved away before i started sewing, so i can’t be much help with fabric shops… sorry! :( i looked up the one others were giving you a link to. if you do visit Rosies, drive up the road a bit to The Living Room for coffee! it’s a great place to relax (tons of couches
    and comfy chairs to sit in
    take lots of photos, and have fun! :)

erin says:

whoa… something happened with my typing! that address i gave you (5900 el cajon blvd) was supposed to be for the Living room coffee shop. my cursor must have moved! sorry.

Jennifer says:

Love this! I just did a binding in Kona Coal too… it certainly makes a lovely binding.

Jennifer :)

Jenny says:

What a fun trip it’s going to be! We just moved to NY from San Diego over Thanksgiving…I was going to say check out Rosie’s, but I see that some readers beat me to it. Their vintage stuff is so much fun. Unrelated to fabric, if you want fantastic Mexican food, you have have have to hit up Ponce’s on Adam’s Avenue in Kensington. Best margaritas, chicken enchiladas and rolled tacos ever. We’re lucky enough to have friends living right down the street (within stumbling distance :) so we’ve been going there for years. So far that’s what I miss most being on the east coast now…the great Mexican food. Sigh…

Downtown Encinitas is great for walking around and window shopping and if you stop at Honey’s for coffee and a sandwich you won’t be disappointed. We lived about 10 minutes from Torrey Pines Beach and our favorite weekend walk starts at parking lot by the south lifeguard tower – there’s a great road/trail that will take you up from the parking lot (but park on the road, though, if you don’t want to pay to use the lot) through the cliffs and it will spit you out on Torrey Pines Rd. along side the golf course. If you keep going past the course, you’ll walk right up to The Lodge. We splurge on bloody mary’s and mojitos there and whatever soup they’re serving that day is great – especially the butternut squash. Head back down the trail to the beach and you’ve got a good chance of seeing dolphins..9 times out of 10 we’ll see 3 or 4 playing in the water.
    As you can see our favorite spots revolve around great food and drinks :). I’m looking out my window right now at about 8 inches of snow and missing those beaches a bit, too! Have a great time.
    And that quilt is fantastic – as always :)

Vickie E says:

Have to get some Kona Coal..love it!

A says:

I love this quilt – polka dots are one of my favourite types of fabric design.

Janice says:

Come up the coast to Santa Cruz! Hart’s Fabric is the best! Plus – clam chowder, seals and pelicans!

Susan says:

Rosie’s Quilted Cupboard in San Diego is a must-see! I was actually there. They have room after room of fabric. Have a great trip!

Kathleen says:

I just need to say that it is crazy that I just found out about Sewing Party in Lake Forest in these comments and I live in the next town! Just went there and bought some AMH voile & flannel, as well as some Echino! See, you are helping me in ways you did not even intend. Also, while Material Possessions did close, a new store opened in its place, called Sacred Moondance. Despite the name, it isn’t filled with dreamcatchers or anything. They are a little more Moda-ish and batiks than Sewing Party, but still have some lovely things. And if you drop off your sewing machine for repairs or service on a Tuesday, you can usually pick it up Wednesday.

Mary says:

Wow, I love this quilt! The polka dots are fabulous, and I love the back as well!

Andrea says:

My husband and I went to San Diego for our anniversary last year… GO TO THE ZOO! :-) we also went to the USS Midway (that’s what happens when you’re married to a militay man) and it was pretty intersting :-)

Munaiba says:

I don’t know the geography of California as I live in Australia but if you can, try to visit Nepenthe the Frank Lloyd Wright inspired restaurant built by Kaffe Fassett’s parents. Here is a link about it: http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/
    Enjoy

Meg Butcher says:

I have a quick question for you. When you say you use Kona fabric – like “Kona Coal” is that the Kona that can be purchased at Joann’s for $5.99/yard or something else? I have see Robert Kauffman Kona roll ups – is that the same as the fabric as Joann’s? THANK YOU! I love your blog and am always inspired by your beautiful quilts!

Terri says:

Love this quilt. I love the unevenness of the white around the polka dotted squares. And the randomness of it overall really gives this one movement. Very cool effect. I haven’t been to San Diego or LA in years, so I’m not much help. But it looks like you’ve gotten lots of great suggestions here!

Juice says:

Wow – this was an unexpected treat. I’m headed to SD in 2 weeks and I’m so thankful for all these great ideas!

And of course the quilt is lovely. But that’s a given. :)

Sandi says:

I lived in San Diego VERY briefly (4 months) about 15 years ago. I’m sure a lot has changed, but I really enjoyed hitting the sights on the Old Town Trolley Tour. http://www.trolleytours.com/san-diego/
    With the trolley ticket we were able to get on and off the trolley all day long (I think they have multi-day tickets, too). It stops at Old Town, the Zoo, Little Italy, the Gaslamp Quarter, Seaport Village and Coronado. Each stop has lots to see within walking distance. My favorite was Coronado, but that’s just because we saw a bunch of Navy SEALs running on the beach…

The Lucky Recipient says:

Thank you! I like my favorite fabric–green with blue dots! –Margot, 2 1/2

I love all the beautiful colors and I kind of wish it was mine.–her sister Addie, 6 1/2

CitricSugar says:

This quilt turned out just beautifully. I love the different middle square sizes for the white blocks. Definitely book-marking this one for inspiration!

katie says:

Your original quilt was my all time favorite of yours. Beautiful!

This is definitely one of my favs! I LOVE the fabric combo!

Wow, very impressive! I love everything about it.

arlene says:

i’ve been a lurker on this blog for quite some time…and i have to finally speak up and say you’re wonderful….such an inspiration for an amateur sewer like me….love, love, love your quilts!

Laurie says:

My favorite places in San Diego are: Balboa Park and the museums there, the plant conservatory, Old Town, eat great food and good atmosphere at outdoor restaurant- giant margaritas and watch them make tortillas by hand, Coronado Beach, LaJolla Cove. Hope to vacation there this summer again.
    The quilt is lovely, as yours always are.

Emily says:

Also don’t forget Hotel del Coronado while you are there on the beach – a Historic Landmark, and gorgeous!

I live in San Diego – don’t hesitate to write me directly. But my short list is:

Balboa Park/Zoo – shops, museums, wild things
    Cedros design district, Encinitas – furniture, art, textiles
    Downtown for restaurants, night life
    Ocean Beach – antiques, bars, hippies
    Pacific Beach – similar to OB, but more college and young professionals than hippies and without the antiques
    Several lagoons and preserves up and down the coast – nice nature walks to enjoy our weather

Another thumbs up for Parkhouse Eatery – one of my favorites!

The largest fabric store that I’ve found here is Rosies at 7151 El Cajon Blvd. Lots of calicos but not a whole lot of new releases.
    There is another store called Quilter’s Paradise in Escondido but I’ve never been there. I end up doing most of my fabric shopping online.

Love the quilt – as I always do! Enjoy your visit!

Peggy Bennett says:

I am so in love with this quilt!! Would you consider writing a tutorial for it?
    Peggy

Liz says:

Love it! And love the back, of course! Haha!

Susan says:

Rosies is great and Quilter’s Paradise is nice too (tons of batiks). The Quilt in a Day home store is right here in San Marcos at 1955 Diamond Street · San Marcos, CA · 92078. The television studio is there and often Eleanor Burns is there in the store. But my favorite quilt shop around is Starry Night Hollow. It is at895 Saxony Road, Encinitas, CA 92024. It is in a residential area (it is actually a house) and you don’t realized there is even a store there until you go through the big white gate. You can bring your machine and sit and sew a while or sit in the beautiful garden with a cup of tea (which is always available in the kitchen) or dig through the bathtub gathering scraps to fill a bag. It is a great little hidden gem!

Tammy says:

What an awesome quilt. Someone is very lucky.

Jules says:

Come visit us in Los Angeles. The garmnet district is not to be missed, both for the fabrics and the people watching. It’s not too far away frm SD….

Wonderful quilt! Love the polka-dots, great fabrics.

Have you checked out http://www.WeAllSew.com yet? Lots of links to quilting inspiration and to other quilters/sewers on the web.

I am stunned with every quilt you show us, this one no exception! It is a great quilt, I can look at it for ages!

Kyla says:

ADORABLE!!!!! This is soooo cute i love it and im sure the little girl will love it! i know i would. I know nothing about California at all but i love the qult and really like the dark binding it just gives the back a little pop.

Shea says:

I second the Pizza Port idea that someone previously posted!!!! My husband travels to SD for work almost every week and he raved and raved about Pizza Port in Solana Beach… I finally got to go with him and couldn’t agree more. I also looked for a good fabric shop and ended up going to Rosie’s. People are right… it’s room after room of fabric! I found their staff to be friendly, too. The one thing I didn’t love is that they said as soon as some of a line is gone, they break it up and organize it by color family- mixed in with other lines. Some people might like that, but I was looking for a line and had trouble tracking all of the bolts down throughout the store. Definitely go!

Coronado for sure. The beach is beyond beautiful and the hotel is neat to walk through. A drive up to Del Mar, Encinitas, Solana Beach… with a stop at Pizza Port!

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but a MUST see is the view from the top of Mount Soledad. There’s an AMAZING 360 degree view of the city/ocean from up there. Plus, you can hunt for Dr. Seuss’ house! :)

Enjoy the trip!

Ching W says:

So glad you are coming to Cali. Seem like you are pretty much covered with good info on where to go. I live in South Cal and love to eat. So if you are in town and want to go for insane rib, awesome taco, killer roast chicken, out of sight pancake in SD area I am one phone call away.
    I love hang out @ Solana Beach too
    inkywu@earthlink.net

Jill says:

Your quilts are always so inspiring! I want to make a quilt for my friend’s wedding and I’m planning on sending her to your blog to get ideas! Just lovely!

What are you seam allowances on this quilt? I’m trying to do a twin quilt for my little girl’s 2 birthday (in two weeks!) and am having trouble with my math! :)

Stephanie C. says:

Do you have a pattern for this one? I love it so much!

56. Pingback: Covet: Quilts « Red Roof, Blue Door