a new design wall (and other weekend scenes)

design-wall

Up until now, my design wall has been the floor. I didn’t mind it so much, though sometimes it made getting through the house challenging – trying to jump over the various quilt pieces without disturbing their placement. I knew a design wall would be helpful, but since I do all my sewing at the dining room table, right in the middle of our house, I just couldn’t commit to draping a very visible wall with quilt batting.

design-wall3

So here’s my solution… instead of covering the entire wall, I decided to make it slightly smaller so that I could frame it, which hopefully makes it look more like a framed piece of art.

design-wall2

We got all the supplies at Lowe’s – we used 1″ thick styrofoam (a 4′ x 8′ sheet), and bought several pieces of wood which we Morgan stained. I covered the styrofoam with white quilt batting, and Morgan built the frame. And I just love the result! It’s so fun to have ever-changing art!

design-wall4

We also did a bit of Christmas decorating…

The stockings were hung,

stockings

and we decided at the last minute to get a Christmas tree.

christmas-tree

It was slim pickings since we were kind of late in getting one, so this one is a bit short, sparse, and strangely shaped… but I think that’s what makes me like it even more.

tree-skirt

Plus, it gave me a reason to pull out the Christmas tree skirt!

This entry was posted in General and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to a new design wall (and other weekend scenes)

LeeAnn says:

What a beautiful job! At the rate I am going my Xmas tree skirt will be made after Xmas! Ha. At least it will be done for next year. :)

Cristin says:

Lovely new design wall! Great way of building it, imho.
    I hope to make a quilted tree skirt someday too… its so crinkly and yummy!

Jackie says:

That is a terrific idea to frame your design wall. You are right that it is like an ever changing piece of artwork. Genius! Love what you currently have on it!

Nichole says:

i have been contemplating doing the same thing as a design wall as well. my sewing room is also the guest bedroom/office and i just can’t bring myself to just hang some flannel on the wall. the frame makes it looks so much more put together.

Sarah M says:

I have a design wall plan in the works, and was going to use a flannel sheet over foam core, but I like the quilt batting idea. It looks like it might be ‘stickier’ than flannel.

nicole says:

Love it. I have also been coveting you wall color. Do you happen to know the color?

Faith says:

Great way to do your design wall. I sew in the playing room, but I think my husband would only want me to do that if it were framed up nice like that. I’ll have to send him a link to yours for a little hint-hint!

Mary says:

A design wall is always such fun to look at and this one really does look like a piece of changing art. Nice job!

Denise says:

Great idea for the design wall! I love the look of it and the batting gives it a nice texture. I also like the tree.

Claire says:

The tree looks great….it reminds me of the trees that I see in the PBS Christmas specials, when they go to Europe and show us there traditions. Looking at your tree, is looking back in time, to when things were simpler. And your design wall…what a great idea. If you ever decide that the dining room is not the place to be sewing anymore, you cn just maove the design wall else where and if need be, just hang something else on the nails

Wow, it looks very sophisticated! Now you have to keep having projects on them, it would be too white if nothing was on it!

Laurel H. says:

Love it all–the design wall, the tree and its skirt (I remember when you made it), and that pink bicycle fabric in one of the blocks on your design wall! Wow, I may have to research that to find out what it is; would you mind sharing some info on it?

I love the design wall as art! That’s just what I want to do when I set up my sewing room after my daughter moves out (probably another year or two, but I’m in no hurry as I love having her here). Until then I’ve been making do with solid colored flannel sheets hung on whatever wall is available. I love having my projects up where I can see them and rearrange as inspiration hits.

Audrie says:

That’s the best design wall I’ve ever seen! I’ve yet to set up my design wall, but it definitely won’t be anything quite as elaborate hehe

Kvinta says:

When I get my own creative space, I want a design wall just as pretty as yours! Very nice and inspirering, thanks for sharing!

Tracey J says:

I think I need to get the hubs to make me one! We just got our tree up this weekend as well… now I need to make a cute tree skirt for next year.

Laurel — I believe the pink bikes are from Heather Ross’ Lightning Bugs collection for Free Spirit. I think…

Fulvia says:

Good idea AND what’s on it looks delicious! Merry Christmas!

Page says:

Love the design wall. It looks great. Might have to try to do one of these myself. Thanks for sharing.

Corinne says:

Thanks for the good idea….

Love your design wall! That is on my “want” list. Maybe after first of the year!

Kat says:

LOVE the design wall. I do all my quilting in my bedroom, so I’ve been pretty reluctant to but up batting too…this might be a good option.

The design wall is great! Mine used to be in the hallway, but you can’t really step back far enough to take a look at things. We turned the living room into my sewing room and I really don’t have a spare wall, but I think a portable design wall would be in order. I also am loving what you have on the wall.

Metanoia says:

BEAUTIFUL design wall… would you build me one too? Actually that is exactly what I want to do, but I can’t decide between permanent on the wall, or making a trifold that can be stored when needed and easily taken to a new house, as well as a permanently setup feature as required… Do love yours though. I must make something soon so I can get up off the floor.

Trish says:

Learn something new all the time.I didn’t know that fabric would stick to batting.I will have to have a design wall.Thanks

Kath says:

Great idea. Like you, I have been hopping over my desgin layouts, but 2010 is to be the year I put it on the wall! and yes, the frame does make it like an ever changing art installation- fab idea! Kath in snowy England

lauradodson says:

great design wall…i’m wondering how do you attach foam to wood? wouldn’t a nail tear through it? and glue eventually come off? curious…

Tammy says:

I love the idea!! I too use the floor as my design area – not easy with a dog, a cat, and a busy 2 year old all wanting to “help”.

Stephanie says:

love the design wall!

Anna says:

I absolutely LOVE your design wall idea! I’ve got a sheet pinned to the wall in my living room right now but it’s a great idea to frame it out. I also LOVE that little tree! We haven’t put our tree up (it’s artificial) but I was just thinking the other day that it would be fun to have a smaller version of our tree and I’d so love to have a real one. Thanks for sharing, and I also LOVE that tree skirt! So much inspiration!

I sew in the livudio (living room/studio). I can’t imagine living without my smaller design walls. I usually have one hanging in the bedroom too. Someday I hope to be surrounded by padded walls!

Kyla says:

THat was such a great idea!!! The ever changing art is a cool idea. It was nice that Morgan agreed to have this right in the middle of the house. The tree reminds me a bit of the Charlie Brown tree but it is adorable anyways!!!! It looks very nice

HannahJoy says:

Oh Ashley, I love your Christmas tree!
    (I’ve been reading for several months but this is my first comment. I like your quilts too.)

leanne says:

this tree reminds me of my childhood trees. sparse, but decorated with love. the tree skirt is wonderful.

Anna says:

looks awesome! great idea. I also spotted your butterfly collage on your mantle – I made one for my husband for Christmas. :)

kristin says:

I love the design wall! What a spectacular idea. I wish I had a just one wall in my craft room that wasn’t oddly shaped…next house. And then a design wall will be mine!

36. Pingback: Sew New to Me VQB Blocks and a New Design Wall « Fresh Lemons

Amy K-P says:

This is going to be an VERY obvious NEWBIE question…what do you use to make the fabric stick to your board?

April says:

Thank you for sharing your design wall. I, too, sew in the dining room, and have limited options/space for a wall. Yours is fabulous and I’m totally going to copy you…once I can get my husband motivated to stain some wood for me. :)

39. Pingback: a new sewing table! – Film in the Fridge

Elise says:

How was the butterfly collage done? I love it! It would be great in my daughter’s bedroom.

41. Pingback: goldfish squared baby quilts – Film in the Fridge

Randi says:

Love the design wall framed. It looks totally awesome. This is on my honey do list now. ;-)

43. Pingback: a sprinkling of hexagons, flea market fancy style – Film in the Fridge

44. Pingback: Sew New to Me VQB Blocks and a New Design Wall — Fresh Lemons Modern Quilts

45. Pingback: FITF: echino quarter square quilt blocks | Film in the Fridge