1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8…9 patch!

9-patch

I finally finished the 9 patch quilt along quilt last week. I think that puts me about a month late, which is actually pretty good for me. I’ve never been one for deadlines (or patterns!). And speaking of, of course I couldn’t manage to follow the set pattern… it was just a matter of time before I veered off course.

9-patch3

I did do all 70 9 patches, and completed the sashing, but then I couldn’t decide if I wanted to use the remaining squares for the border, as shown in the inspiration quilt. I looked at it for a long time trying to decide which I’d like better, and I ultimately decided to skip the border (part laziness, perhaps?!)

9-patch2

I liked the way it looked with just the 9 patches on the front, so I decided to use the remaining squares for the back instead.

9-patch-back2

I paired those squares with one of my favorite solids – Kona Coal. I love the dark gray solid with the bright white and the colored squares.

9-patch-4

(please ignore all the wrinkles!)

This quilt measures about 52″ x 75″. I stippled it and bound it in some of the green striped fabric from the Red Letter Day line mixed with some of the plum filigree print from the Good Folks line. I tried to use mainly fabrics from my scrap bin, and I think I was pretty successful! There’s a little bit of all my favorites in there!

And now I have to decide if I’ll be adding it to the pile, or adding it to the shop!

Available to purchase here!

9-patch-front

This entry was posted in 2009 Finished Quilts, Finished Quilts, Household Sewing - bags, napkins, pillows, Posts about Quilts, Quilts, [search] Other Quilts and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

65 Responses to 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8…9 patch!

Dee says:

Beautiful…tranquil on the back. I really enjoy the coal with the vibrant colors from the front. I’m a ‘back’ freak…I love the way people are choosing to modernize their quilt backs instead of just plain solids. Thank you for sharing this!

nichole says:

i like how the back turned out. the contrast between the gray and the white/prints is really nice.

Andrea says:

This quilt is gorgeous. I love the white sashing around the squares. And I love the back, too! I don’t know how you would decide which side to put up. I have a question for you… how do you line up your back so straight when it is not solid? I pieced my first backing (after seeing one of yours!) and it is ALMOST straight, but not…

• 4
      admin says:

Thanks everyone for such nice comments!

Andrea – It can be hard to get the backing straight, and I definitely have some that are not perfectly straight! I use spray adhesive to baste my quilts (505 is my favorite if you’re looking for one). I typically do the front first, then trim down the batting so it’s even all the way around (leaving it several inches larger than the top). Then I flip it and lay the backing over it. Since the edges are trimmed square, I have a good idea of where the backing should lay so that it ends up straight. Once i have it where i think it should go, I typically have my husband hold the whole thing up in front of our sliding glass door – with the light shining through, I can get a good idea of whether or not it’s straight.

Or, another option is to use a disappearing marker on the batting. Once you attach the front and flip it over, you can typically see through enough to see where the seams are. You could use a marker to mark one or more of those seams which would give you something to look at when you place the backing on.

Hope this helps!
      Ashley

Mara says:

The back of this quilt is amazing! (The front is great too, don’t get me wrong). My nine-patch is *almost* done. I’m excited to finally be able to take pictures of it!!

This is definitely two quilts in one!

Meaghan says:

I think the inspiration quilt is great, but I love how you added your own flair to the back and used the extra squares there instead. I agree with Andrea – either side of the quilt would be beautiful “right side up.” It’s like 2 quilts in 1!

craftytammie says:

I absolutely love the back! And I’ve always considered nine patches my favorite!

MARTY says:

Your decision was right. I especially like what you did on the back. Very nice. I’m starting to put my 9 patch together too. I haven’t really done the quilt along as I have other quilts I’m working on that are more pressing.
    Really like yours.

Liz says:

Looks great! I love your variation with putting the border scraps on the back, it looks great! I’m impressed that you lined up the front and back so neatly, I always have trouble with that. :-)

And I love Kona cotton in Coal, too. I used that for the back of my Old Red Barn Co quilt and I really loved it.

Looks wonderful!

jennifer says:

Wow, looks great. I think I like that beautiful back a little more than the front! How often do you hear that?? :)

Laurel says:

This is a gorgeous quilt and I love the contrast on the back! Thanks so much for sharing your tips!!
    Laurel/NJ

beth says:

i really love the back of this quilt. the gray, white and scraps are great!

jenny says:

LOVE this quilt…totally inspired…may do this to use up some scraps!!! Thanks for sharing.

Juice says:

It looks gorgeous and I agree with your decision not to do the border on the front. I wish I lived close to you so that you could teach me how to make these beautiful pieces!

Rachel says:

Gosh, I really can’t decide which side I like better. I really love the back! Holy guacamole!

Deb C. says:

Gorgeous! I agree with everyone. It looks just great. Really, really (as Shrek would say). And I’m not big on backs. Don’t really want to “waste” my good fabric on it—but you did an outstanding job. Once I finish the top, I just want to be “done” with it. Kudos to you!

Cristin says:

Lovely 9-patch! And I adore the back too! Kona Coal is a great color – I just picked some up today actually! I have yet to start my 9-patch but I NEED to do a few blocks every night, just to make some progress! Well done as always!

Heather says:

Beautiful quilt as always. You quilts always inspire me. I do love the way you did the back…gives me ideas =)

Jeanette says:

The back is nice enough to be the front. Very modern.

Becca says:

I’m slowly learning that some quilts just refuse a border. They’re done without one.

The back is gorgeous! It stands on its own.

Kim says:

Well, at least you’ve finished it. Mine is basted and sitting there waiting patiently. I LOVE that you didn’t put the little squares on the front, but on the back! What a great idea. Kinda makes me sad that I’ve already put mine on… Oh well, next time I’m totally going to copy your idea.

Lindsey says:

Like many before me–the back makes me exclaim! I love it.

Sarah says:

love love LOVE the back! Great work! :)

Sandy says:

Oh my goodness! I love the back almost more than the front!

kerri says:

so pretty! i really love the back too!!
    kerri

ps. i’m having a great giveaway on my blog! :)

aimee says:

Wow – I love it!! The back is simply fantastic!

Linnea says:

I love the back on this Ashley!…you’re so full of inspiration all the time.

Great quilt! I love how you did the back on this one-it is absolutely fan-tab-ulous!!!

Faith says:

That is beautiful! So what color thread did you use to quilt that? I just did one with a dark background and was at a loss because when I used dark thread in the bobbin, it showed on the white in the front and I didn’t like it. But then white in the bobbin was too obvious on the back (like my mistakes were too obvious – LOL). I felt like I couldn’t win!

Audrie says:

I think what you did with the back is just magic!!! I love it! Very very nicely done :)

Linda says:

Gorgeous quilt, as usual! On the 4th picture down, at first glance I thought the back was a picture quilt with all those flowers in it. Great place to take the pictures………the quilt puts the flowers to shame…….8-)

Suzanne says:

That is such a fantastic way to do the back. I’m fessing up right now that I plan to borrow this idea.

kate says:

One for the pile! That kona charcoal oozes sophistication.

Theresa says:

That is so clever. Well done!

Kate says:

Just lovely! It has been so much fun to see the quilts from that quilt along emerging, now I wish I had done one!

Ingrid says:

I’m always really inspired by your color choices. I tend to get totally overwhelmed in the fabric store and often end up leaving with nothing. Do you have any tips on how I can get more confident/better at choosing prints and colors?
    It’s a beautiful quilt..and I love that backing.

Tracy T. says:

Your nine-patch is gorgeous! I also like the back of your quilt – elegant and modern! I am “done” with my nine-patch top but am currently stalled out on coming up with backing fabric. I have *almost* enough of a lovely Amy Butler flannel for the back, but not quite…

rosamaria says:

wow!!! that quilt is amazing!!!! like always, i love the fabrics you used. The best part is the back, really original!!!

emma says:

Great quilt! I’m really liking the cool colour combinations you’re using. Like others, I’m impressed by how straight you get your pieced backings – and your ability to get your DH involved in the process!

erica says:

That is an awesome backing! Looks great!

Erin says:

The backing is my favorite! I love that you do such creative things with the backing. I always just thought that a solid color with a solid binding was the only way to do this, but you really inspire me.

Rae says:

It’s gorgeous, Ashley! Another win :)

Kyla says:

i love it !!! all the colors look really great. im glad tha you decided to use the extra patches on the back. it really ties the bak in with the front. im glad to see that your trying to condense that massive pile of scraps!!! though im sure it didnt make a big difference.

Nicole says:

I love the back! what did you bind it with? It’s is so cute.

Erin says:

Not that you haven’t heard this yet today, but I can’t believe how beautiful both sides are! I would be proud to display either side to the world :)

Ariane says:

Wow!! I love it. It’s gorgeous. I love how you pieced the back. It looks wonderful!!

amy says:

ahh my heart hurts looking at that quilt… so beautiful… LOVE the back… LOOOVE it… have to go thump my head against the wall now so i stop thinking about how much i need that quilt…

Mary on Lake Pulaski says:

Another beauty Ashley!!! Do you even know how much you inspire the rest of us???

Your quilts are stunning! So is this one. love the squares used in the back and this gray color is awsome!

barbara says:

I love the back on this one! I would never be able to get it all right though, it would end up wonky! Ahh the talent I need!

Sherri says:

I think it’s gorgeous! LOVE the back. I only hope someday I can make a quilt this beautiful!

amandajean says:

you amaze me, woman. the quilt is gorgeous…front and back. well done!

Allison says:

Your quilts are fabulous! I honestly couldn’t pick a favorite.Your backs are as fun as the fronts. Do you prewash fabric or simply wash the finished quilt?

angie says:

I think I like the back even more than the front.

christine says:

i cannot tell which side i like better…front or back.

I love the back. I am having the same dilema. I made mine larger so I do not feel bad about being behind. But I need to decide. Thanks for the new inspiration.

Jane Swanson says:

What a great idea to put the border on the back like that. I really love it!

Sorrel says:

Fabulous quilt! Both sides are beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Vicki says:

It’s very pretty. I love the back!

jaybird says:

so cute!! … maybe i’ll finish mine one day!

beautiful! I just started quilting and you’ve inspired me to do a nine patch. Thanks for the inspiration!