black, white & blue… and green & gray

More quilt blocks!

black-white-string

Are you starting to get bored of seeing me duplicate my favorite quilts? If so, I’m very sorry. I don’t mean to be boring and unimaginative… I’ll try to get to something new and fun before too long!

For now, I’m recreating my favorite black and white baby string quilt. The first one I made used black white and green fabrics, and this time I’m going for black, white and blue. I’m not sure, but I might like this color combo even better. This particular shade of blue is really nice (it’s a Kona cotton, but once again, I failed to look at the actual color name…)

black-white-string2

I’m about a third of the way done and I love the way it’s looking. I’m going to be tempted to want to keep this one for myself as well!

(My tutorial for making these blocks is here, in case you missed it!)

I also (finally!) did my blocks for Nettie for Block Party. She sent a selection of green and gray fabrics, including those super cute munki munki gnomes. Any quilt with these gnomes is sure to be fabulous! (I have a bit of it that I can’t even bear to cut into!)

You can check out her inspiration quilt here. This first block measures  about 10″ x 12″ and the second is about 9″ square.

nettie1

nettie2

This second block differs a bit, since I added that green strip between two rows of blocks. I debated about adding it, since it’s not technically what she asked for, but I kept going back to it. I guess I just can’t follow directions. Nettie – if you hate it, please feel free to rip it right out!

This entry was posted in Quilt Blocks and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to black, white & blue… and green & gray

Jess says:

I love the green gnome blocks, very cute!

Claire says:

Yes, I agree with Jess, the green gnome blocks are very cute. They remind me of the show i use to watch when I was a little girl, “David the Gnome”. (It was on Nick Jr.)

kerri says:

super cute, ashely!! love the string quilt blocks, and the green gnomes are too cute!! i love the extra strip!! i think it is a great addition!

Martha says:

I think that I love the black white and blue better than the black white and green. Soooo cute! And it gives the quilt a way different look somehow.

Love that b&w with the blue. Excellent combo.

Leslie says:

I recently stumbled across your site. I haven’t sewn or been very creative in several years due to various things and you have completely inspired me again! Love your work!

andrea Braun says:

So STINKIN’ CUTE!!!! I am about to start a string quilt for the first time… I might just have to do the black and white. I LOVE IT

whitney says:

Oh I am in love with you. Is that creepy to say to someone you have never met? Probably. But isn’t that how blogs work?
    I love love love everything you do. I am in a huge quilting/sewing funk right now. But I think you are pulling me out of it. Keep up the amazing work!

Audrie says:

I veer from directions too and then rethink it a million times before handing the quilt over! I’m loving your blocks.. very pretty!!

The black and white w/blue it so cute! I love black and white, but have never done one myself with just black and white! It looks so great!! You always do such amazing work (and so fast!!) I am amazed by you!!

Angie says:

I like the blue better than the green, but that is probably just because I am a blue person. Nice job.

beth says:

i love the black and blue…great colors!

Wow, these are so cool. And in the green quilt, I super-love the green strip you added. Very imaginative and really adds a little “pop”.

Faith says:

I love those string blocks. I can’t wait to try your tutorial!

Laurie says:

Everything you do turns out wonderful I have been watching for a while. I think the addition of the green strip is great I prefer it that way. Keep up the good work you are a great inspiration for us all

Kyla says:

i absolutaly LOVE the black and white quilt. the color combination is amazing. it goes sooo well together. cant wait to see the finished project. the gnomes on the fabric are soo cute.

jacquie says:

i remember that first quilt…this is going to be great too. i do that with kona solids all the time…one of these days i’m going to order the color card and solve that problem.

Amy Rehbein says:

love love love seeing all your quilts! Love the black and white. Terrific : )

jenny says:

Ooooooh!!! I LOVE it!! My mom had a black and white quilt and it used to be my go-to blanket when I slept over at her place. Her home caught on fire in January and I was so sad to see the quilt was burned and unsalvageable. Looking at this reminds me of that old one. Looking forward to seeing the finished result!

amandajean says:

i love the blocks for nettie. and the inspiration quilt! wowza. amazing. your b+w and blue is gonna be stunning, too!

erica says:

I love the black and blue together! Its pretty sophisticated!

Suzan says:

I love your site!
    You must be a quilting machine!
    You do such beautiful work.

Kim says:

Wow. I love the black & white string quilt. It’s so simple and yet visually stimulating. I want to make myself a black and white quilt now.

Debbie says:

I love the black and white quilt also. Do you know many yards of black and white fabric it requires. i just bought 4 1/2 yards of fabric and was not sure if that is enough.
    Thanks,
    Debbie

upstatelisa says:

looooove the black/white strings!!!!

LFinn says:

I love the black and white fabrics you used–I have been looking for some B&W for a quilt I want to make. Can you share what fabrics you used? Love your quilts, as always!