Etsuko dress, take 2

purple-dress

Remember this dress? It wasn’t good. Shapeless and very, very unflattering. I like the fabric though, and being that it’s double gauze, it wasn’t cheap, so I knew I wanted to try and make something out of it.

The other day I pulled it out, chopped off the top part, opened one side of the new top and smocked it, following Heather’s smocked dress tutorial. I hemmed the bottom (which is now a bit shorter in length than I was originally intending!) and sewed the side and ta da!

purple-dress3

So now it’s better. It’s still not great – I feel kind of ‘eh’ about it, but at least it is a wearable dress, and I’m hoping that it’s a bit more flattering. I will say that if nothing else, it’s really quite comfortable — that double gauze is very soft and lightweight. I think I’ll add some straps and then I’ll wear it at the beach!

purple-dress2

This entry was posted in Clothing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Etsuko dress, take 2

kim says:

You are so brave! I really like how your dress looks! I am really having problems sewing clothes – just can’t get them fitted correctly. You’ve inspired me to keep trying!

jeanette says:

This looks so cute now! Good job. :)

Valerie says:

Great save, it’s adorable now!

Robin says:

I love this dress….I need to try to make some dresses….just too scared!

mon ami says:

Good for you for giving it another try and ending up with such a cute dress.

I’ve been wanting to try this pattern for awhile and am inspired even more now. I just wish I had some lucious double gauze to make it with.

yummy!

Shannon says:

Great beach dress and bathing suit cover up. I think it looks great!

Sara says:

Ooooh, I like it! But then again, I like it the first go ’round as well. Maybe it’s the fabric; you just can’t go wrong!!

Either way, you are adorable in it.

Lisa says:

Beautiful fabric. I love the dress. I posted about you and some other quilting inspirations on my blog today. If you get a moment, stop by and say hi.

Take care,
    Lisa

Chantry says:

It looks great! Although I didn’t think it looked too bad the first time. But this is wonderful! Congrats!

Jane Swanson says:

You are so beautiful! Love the dress too!

Linda says:

Wow!
    You look terrific in that dress. Don’t feel ‘eh’ at all. I don’t think it even needs straps, unless you’re just too uncomfortable without them. I do adore the cotton gauze……..it’s hard not to order tons of all of it….8-). The price does help rein me in…….lol.

Keep up the good work. I love your blog.

erica says:

Adorable! I don’t know how you feel about this but….I think it would be super stylish with a pair of great fitting jeans and a cardigan!?! I love that fabric.

Faith says:

I agree with erica! That way you can wear it year round. :-P

christine says:

i think with a little cardi it would look stunning, and you might think it is more than just ‘eh’. i think you did a great save!

Helen Yoo says:

I actually like the first dress. Very pretty fabric. I bought so much double gauze back from Tokyo and I wish I can cut into it to make something for myself!

I saw the little video clip of Heather Ross on Martha stewart explaining the elastic thread “smocking.” what thread did you use? I am wondering because I have no experience with it.

Thanks!

p.s. After reading your blog about your sewing machine (and another) I went out and bought a brand new Bernina 630 with bsr foot!!! All this reading of sewing and knitting blog makes me spend more money! But I have to say it’s very exciting – as I never bought a sewing machine this nice brand new. I always bought them in excellent secondhand condition.

Too funny! I just made a shirred top the other day. I think they are a great addition to any summer wardrobe. Your redo of this dress looks great. The straps sound nice, too!

Alissa says:

Such a cute dress!! Nice fix!!

Tif says:

you don’t look “eh!”!!! it looks great!

great modification!

Jabba says:

It looks great! I made the Heather Ross sundress as well, and I found I had to space the smocking much farther apart than recommended but it came together in the end.

kyla says:

LOVE the improvements!!!! i am a big fan of that fabric. GREAT job!!!!

Mary Beth says:

Love the fabric, love the dress.

Would you make a recommendation for a first time quilt to sew?
    Thanks, Mary