a handmade summer wardrobe

I can’t seem to help myself! I’ve been spending way too much time lately creating (or thinking about) my new summer wardrobe. I’m reminded of second grade when I told my mom I was only willing to wear a handmade dress each day. She must have liked sewing, because I recall that I did end up with a closetful of dresses, and indeed, that’s what I wore… every single day.

So here’s the start of my wardrobe. First there was this bathing suit cover up… which then prompted a skirt, made out of some home dec weight Anna Maria Horner fabric. It’s just a simple skirt – knee length, and I added a few lines of stitching with elastic thread at the waist.

simple-skirt

Next, I was thinking of another dress, but this time with a boatneck top. I didn’t have a pattern, so I grabbed this Alexander Henry fabric from Joann’s (1/2 price with a coupon, so not too expensive in case I messed it up!) And surprisingly enough, it actually fits! The fabric makes me dizzy though, so I’m not sure how much I’ll actually wear it…

Oh, and something to make note of – don’t try making pockets out of a somewhat nude colored fabric. People will just think you have a big hole in your dress…

blue-dress

I can’t decide what’s next… maybe another shirt? Or maybe I should just work on finishing some older projects. I didn’t do too well at Jacquie’s Spring to Finish Challenge – my grand total? 1

This entry was posted in Clothing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to a handmade summer wardrobe

Sara says:

You are completely out of control amazing. Beautiful work.

Tracy says:

Cute dress! But yes, a little dizzy inducing. And that’s a good point about nude colored pockets. Noted. I also hadn’t considered making skirts from home dec weight fabric, that’s a good idea, since I like a bit more stiffness in skirts.

anina says:

Wow! So neat! I’ve never been happy with any clothes I’ve made. I’m very impressed.

Robin says:

Wow! I love the start of your summer wardrobe! I hope I can sew clothes one day! Really beautiful!!!

MichelleB says:

Cute things! And they look so good on you.

Terri says:

Yay, I love the skirt and the way you lined up the fabric for it. And that dress looks really nice on you. Good neckline and length. I need to make one of those cuz I think I would wear a dress like that ALL the time.

Marie says:

I’ve started dreaming of a summer wardrobe too! First attempt at a skirt isn’t done yet – I need a zipper tutorial from my mom, but I’m very inspired by your beautiful work!

2hippos says:

The dress and the skirt both look great. I’m so impressed. One of my summer goals is making a skirt for myself; I know it’s not the hardest thing, but I’ve never done it before…

kerri says:

They look amazing, and what a great start to a wardrobe!!

Nikki says:

Ok, we need a tutorial :) I can’t believe you just whipped that up! Gorgeous :)

The skirt and dress look great! I think the home dec fabric for your skirt was a fabulous idea.

kate says:

I loooove that dress! It’s darling on you, and I can’t believe you just whipped it up without a pattern. You are a rock star.

Amber says:

The new clothes are amazing…and my total for the Spring to Finish was one too…I started and finished a new quilt instead :-)

Rita says:

Oh wow! I am so impressed! I have made many a quilt, but have trouble shortening the length of my son’s pants! Love the fabric for the skirt. You’ve done an amazing job!

aimee says:

Really cute for both! Great job!

Renee says:

I love the skirt and the dress is very nice too! So brave.

Jody says:

I love the skirt. Did you use a pattern or might there be a tutorial coming (please!)?

The dress is very cool. Great work.

Samantha Jane says:

You are soooo clever!! I love your work, the skirt is gorgeous, like everything else you make! I just bought some of the material… :)