This quilt is up next, since I failed to complete the backing for the floral quilt. You got a little peek at this one yesterday – as mentioned, I used these 4″ pre-cut squares that I received for Christmas. I pulled all that used aqua/green, navy, and olive. There weren’t enough for an entire quilt, so I was forced to get creative… and with a little help from my quilt consultant (Morgan), I came up with this design.
In order to make the quilt large enough, I separated the 4″ squares into blocks of 12 (4 across by 3 down). I framed each block with white and then alternated this with blocks of white framed in a corresponding fabric. These prints are mainly from the Amy Butler Daisy Chain line, as that’s what I had available at the time.
(please ignore all the wrinkles – it’s been rolled up waiting to be quilted!)
In case anyone is interested, the measurements are as follows:
The patchwork blocks require 12 4″ squares, sewn together 4 by 3. For this quilt, I used 8 patchwork blocks, or 96 4″ squares. My squares were a little less than square, so once the squares were sewn together, I trimmed each block to 10 1/2″ x 14″.
I then cut 7 white rectangles of the same size (10 1/2″ x 14″)
The patchwork blocks were framed with 3″ strips of solid white, while the white blocks were framed with 3″ strips of the daisy chain fabrics.
Finished blocks measure approximately 15″ x 19″ and the quilt itself measures approximately 55″ x 73″. I expect it to shrink a bit, as my fabrics are not pre-washed.
I love the look of this one, and I think you may see it here again in the future with different fabrics!